Apply For A Flash Lite Licence?

PhonicUK

Website
www.phonicuk.com
I was having a serious google around for Flash on ARM Linux - and came across adobe's Flash Lite Licence Request Form.

It's good enough to power most video sites (Youtube, iPlayer, Vimeo, etc) and supports Firefox.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=flashlite

Even if Adobe turn around and tell the team they want X obscene amount of money, It certainly can't hurt to at least apply and see what they say? Maybe they'll recognise the project for what it is and let us have it gratis.

Etinin said:
Flash lite is useless.
The new flash will offer full versions for all platforms.

I have Flash Lite 3.1 on my Nokia N97, I've not come across any video sites that it doesn't work with. And its those sites that are the real kicker in terms of usability (iPlayer and other VOD sites in particular that don't work with 3rd party plugins.)

While it's not as good as the full fat flash, it's certainly better than nothing.

And who is to say that Adobe won't require OP to request a licence for the ARM build of Flash 10?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kloplop321 said:
I think we should be able to run full flash perfectly fine..

But it doesn't exist for ARM yet...

And like I said, I reckon there's a 90% chance that adobe will be licensing ARM Flash 10 instead of giving it away as a download like they do for x86

PhonicUK said:
But it doesn't exist for ARM yet...
Well, it does, just not in a way that is usable by us yet.

It seems like an open question about whether Adobe will make Flash 10 for ARM/Linux freely available. Adobe realizes that Flash is going to see some competition that would threaten its status as default online video format, especially given the lack of support by the iPhone. Vimeo has made a mobile portal using h.264 as a result.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's no point worrying about it. If Adobe doesn't pull through with Flash 10 in a major way, it will be do the disadvantage of Flash anyway.

if nothing else, would it be possible to get an open source alternative of flash ? i know Gnash is one of those, its far from perfect, but would be better than nothing

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash

At the very least, it can run most flash video players and allow browsing those flash websites.

Hope we can get some form of flash support up and running soon, even just basic stuff. I use flash stuff quite a bit on different websites so it would suck without. It's not the end of the world but would be handy.

Flash should be avoided entirely if possible. Besides flash based games (which many would probably be too slow on the pandora even if it did support flash), what actual use does flash have?

Streaming video through flash is far outdone by HTML5, in which by using HTML5 instead you will have less CPU usage, smoother playback and more battery life, and there are browser plugins which will run flash video through either html5 or an external video player (ie: mplayer), instead of actually using flash to render it.

Elanzer said:
Flash should be avoided entirely if possible. Besides flash based games (which many would probably be too slow on the pandora even if it did support flash), what actual use does flash have?

Streaming video through flash is far outdone by HTML5, in which by using HTML5 instead you will have less CPU usage, smoother playback and more battery life, and there are browser plugins which will run flash video through either html5 or an external video player (ie: mplayer), instead of actually using flash to render it.
I hate how people seem to forget that we had streaming video long before Flash. The things introduced by HTML5 aren't new, they're just re-engineered old things, things which should have been done long ago so Flash wasn't given a chance to get such a foothold.

WizardStan said:
I hate how people seem to forget that we had streaming video long before Flash.
To be fair, video on the web before Youtube made Flash video a hit was something I'd rather not recall if I can help it. Grainy video the size of a postage stamp, a nightmare of codecs, Real Video...

Wheels said:
WizardStan said:
To be fair, video on the web before Youtube made Flash video a hit was something I'd rather not recall if I can help it. Grainy video the size of a postage stamp, a nightmare of codecs, Real Video...
This. Youtube did make all this a tad bit easier, since "everyone" had flash on their machine.

Wheels said:
WizardStan said:
That's not really fair at all. You're comparing videos intended for dialup at a time when not a lot of research had been put into video compression against videos meant for medium and high speed in an era rife with high quality encoding techniques. You can use an embed tag and stick a DivX or other high quality video into it today for a very similar (dare I say better?) viewing experience, without the need for Flash.

WizardStan said:
Wheels said:
WizardStan said:
That's not really fair at all. You're comparing videos intended for dialup at a time when not a lot of research had been put into video compression against videos meant for medium and high speed in an era rife with high quality encoding techniques.
Well, you were the one who brought up streaming video "long before Flash." :p

*edit* I mean, Youtube didn't even arrive on the scene before 2005, and there really weren't video hosting services back then so your bandwidth for hosting videos was limited even if high-speed internet was becoming more popular.

I may not be Flash's biggest fan (I'm largely indifferent to it, in fact), but I certainly don't miss the dark old days up to 2004-ish, where I would frequently encounter Windows Media video and/or audio files embedded on the web, with no option to view these files in any other format (I'm not a Windows user, nor was I at that time). Flash becoming more used for that sort of thing seemed like a godsend to me at the time, and a damn sight more convenient. :p

mali said:
Isn't this whole Open Screen thingamabob about free Flash?
To answer a question from the previous page: yes, yes it is. According to gnash developers this documentation contains a lot of good stuff that's also completely useless as they figured it all out years ago. All the stuff they have yet to RE is not in there.

Back