Apt Repositories For Pandora

scarath

Are any devs planning on setting up their own repositories for their software or interested in adding their software to a Pandora specific repository? I am curious to see if there needs to be a community (non-official) repo.

One thing that may be a shame about the new Pandora file format is that devs may wish to release their software on the GP32x file library and not bother to put in on the repos in .deb format, which i feel would be a shame.

On a side note, does anyone know if openpandora have got their repos up and running yet?

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
Are any devs planning on setting up their own repositories for their software or interested in adding their software to a Pandora specific repository? I am curious to see if there needs to be a community (non-official) repo.

One thing that may be a shame about the new Pandora file format is that devs may wish to release their software on the GP32x file library and not bother to put in on the repos in .deb format, which i feel would be a shame.

On a side note, does anyone know if openpandora have got their repos up and running yet?

Pandora isn't going to use a debian based distribution so no .deb or apt.
You'll get every thing from : http://archive.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi

please next time use the general forum. This is not a place to ask the dev, but a place to talk about code.
anyway dev also read the general forum...

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
weird, i thought we were getting a deb based distro, i remember the posts on the subject ... it was a long time ago tho, i probably forget the specifics ...

anyway seems dumb not to take advantage of all the debian arm packages.

EDIT: i just did a search and it was on some of the old 'linux news' sites that said that the pandora would have a debian based os

Well, I will install debian on Pandora anyway. Would be great if we could have some unofficial repo, for everyone interested to use. Otherwise it will be weird as everyone will be doing the same porting stuff over and over again.

cosurgi said:
Well, I will install debian on Pandora anyway. Would be great if we could have some unofficial repo, for everyone interested to use. Otherwise it will be weird as everyone will be doing the same porting stuff over and over again.
Yeah if the pandora's OS does not allow the use of apt i'll be installing Debian too for using the panda as a more UMPC like device. For this apt-get would be essential.

Also using the archive.openpandora.org for every arm app that has been ported over would be a huge waste of time when they are all sat waiting for us on the debian arm repos.

bazt said:
Hmm

Thanks, I thought as much

EDIT: anyway back on topic, my main question is, will the openpandora people be making their own repos and/or should we think about setting up a community repository?

cosurgi said:

As you, I'm planning to use a debian arm based distrib on my pandora.

bazt said:
Hmm

Can you read ? "may" dont mean "will". and the second line is clear : based on Ångström.

Yeah if the pandora's OS does not allow the use of apt i'll be installing Debian too for using the panda as a more UMPC like device. For this apt-get would be essential.

Also using the archive.openpandora.org for every arm app that has been ported over would be a huge waste of time when they are all sat waiting for us on the debian arm repos.
agree, but the flash(256M) is relativly small for a debian so you'lll need an SD card. So why not having the whole OS on it.

EDIT: anyway back on topic, my main question is, will the openpandora people be making their own repos and/or should we think about setting up a community repository?

I'm sure we will be able to create a google/code project for this alternate repository.

I'm quite sure it would be possible to install DPKG (and apt) even on non-Debian based distributions.

my main question is, will the openpandora people be making their own repos and/or should we think about setting up a community repository?

The OpenPandora Repo will be a archive of .zip's, as stated previously.

Pandora isn't going to use a debian based distribution so no .deb or apt.

Can you read ? "may" dont mean "will". and the second line is clear : based on Ångström.

You made it sound pretty clear cut, which isn't the case and I think you misinterpreted my "Hmm" I was just pointing it out for the benefit of all , I certainly didn't say will anywhere so cut the aggro.

bazt said:
You made it sound pretty clear cut, which isn't the case and I think you misinterpreted my "Hmm" I was just pointing it out for the benefit of all , I certainly didn't say will anywhere so cut the aggro.

Sorry. I clearly misinterpreted your "Hmm".

What's the difference between a deb and a zip anyway?
1) How do you make a deb in linux?( I know how to make a zip)
2) Can you make a deb in windows or Mac ?
3) Can you download a deb onto a pc, copy to pandora and "run" it to install. (Iknow you can open it like a zip on a pc-use 7-zip or tugzip)
4) Can a deb be made self-contained? i.e no dependencies and all files,libraries, etc and all installed into current directory?
5) Can you install software in zips even if you use apt?
6) Doesn't Angstrom use a packaging system similar to apt?
If 2,3,4,5 are positive, then it would be good to have an apt repository so you could use either method to install software. Someone using apt would see only the debs. but if you browsed the repository (either on Padora or pc) you would see both and it would be up to the dev to decide what he or she wants to package. Of course this doesn't prevent people from adding other repositories which may mess up their Pandora.

pcklee123 said:
6) Doesn't Angstrom use a packaging system similar to apt?
Yes, ipkg. (just google and you will see what it is)
It's quite similar, but angstrom also uses a straight forward package manager, so there is no need for the user to worry about how the apps are packed. It would be nice if the pandora could use the same system.

Have fun,
Chero.

4) Can a deb be made self-contained? i.e no dependencies and all files,libraries, etc and all installed into current directory?

One of the best points of the apt-get system is that you dont need all the files, libs, etc in the package because they are elsewhere on the repository or in many cases, already in use by another program. It saves space and saves devs having to include everything in one file as long as the dependencies are in the repos, which if we had our own repo, they would be.

When the panda is first released this may not be an issue but once the number of apps for it increase and many programs start needing the same dependencies it would be insane not to use an apt-get like system as default IMO.

Of course this doesn't prevent people from adding other repositories which may mess up their Pandora.

It would only mess up the install, and only if they didnt know what they were doing, in which case they shouldnt have done it in the first place. :ph34r:

If I want to use debian lenny for Pandora what architecture should I use. Arm or armel. What about for gp2x? Would arm work on both gp2x and pandora? Or would armel work on both gp2x and pandora?

I can't comment on the GP2X, but I believe you'd be needing armel for the Pandora, if memory serves. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, though. :p)

Real package management is difficult to do across multiple SD cards, and difficult to do across multiple operating systems if the user wants to download on PC and copy across to SD card(s) later. Also, we can't assume every Pandora user will have Wifi. So .zip's are much easier for a lot of people. Installable from PC, Pandora, other OSs and completely self-contained.

It doesn't stop the 58% of people in that thread however from using package management if they want to however, but it will not be officially supported.

Remember: One of the main aims of Pandora is "ease of use".

Squidge said:
Remember: One of the main aims of Pandora is "ease of use".
Heh, and this goal is most easily achieved with apt + internet connection. I suppose that "zip" solution is only for people without internet on Pandora.

Back