ARCANO V1.O

T°y°T

Still Fresh
You can now download now Arcano v1.0 at www.GP32emu.com a cool Arcanoid-like but with screen at 90° !! Nice grafx in 16 bits... Thanks to the author, Franz, for this contribution...

It's great. Lovely blur effects. The rotated screen thing is excellent.

Now we need a vertical shmup for a rotated gp32. It would rule. Ikaruga? Dodonpachi? surely it can be done!

redcamera posted on Mar 28 2003 said:
Now we need a vertical shmup for a rotated gp32. It would rule. Ikaruga? Dodonpachi? surely it can be done!
The more I read this the less I understand what you are saying...

Last edited by a moderator:
Avigrace posted on Mar 28 2003 said:
redcamera posted on Mar 28 2003 said:
The more I read this the less I understand what you are saying...
he means the GP32 needs a conversion of a vertical scrolling shoot em up game that can be played with the GP32 rotated like the excellent Arcano ;)

he then says a conversion of the acclaimed shooter "Ikaruga" could be great for this :p

it makes sense :D

and yeah, Arcano is great! the background fx are excellent, they actually make a game with a concept as basic and simple as Arkanoid seem INTENSE...!

rotated games are a nice concept indeed

dan miracle posted on Mar 28 2003 said:
he means the GP32 needs a conversion of a vertical scrolling shoot em up game that can be played with the GP32 rotated like the excellent Arcano
Heh. Yes that's exactly what I mean. The start button is fine for fire, and smart bombs can be done off the left shoulder button, with the bottom of your index finger.

There's a wealth of free PC vertical shooters that could be converted. I think some of them come with source.

I know a V-Shooter that is COOL, the graphics/sound might be too intence for the GP32, but if there was a game with the same concept. The game is calle WARBLADE, but the only problem is that it isn't open source, and when he finishes it, it is going to cost money (which could actually be an advantage, ask to make a free, but only the first 100 levels GP32 port, that when you finish it, it says goto www.blabla.com and buy the full version if you want a great game like this with better graphics on the pc...)

I'd just like to say that this is probably the nicest home-brew game I've played for GP32... a few more additions, and it'd be absolutely perfect :) (I like this kinda thing a **lot**).

Basically, add a load more levels (along with possibly extending bg effects over, say, 3 levels instead of every one in order to let more levels need fewer bg transitions), and possibly a bit more music (change every 5 levels). Saving high-scores, and (possibly) some kind of weaponry/special abilities as you get in Arkanoid? Perhaps that's asking too much lol.
Possibly potentially most importantly, adition of encrypted online score file type things a la Giana's Return (with any luck) - since this is just the sort of game I can envisage playing for ages in order to get high-scores and seeing more backgrounds.

Of course, I'm asking a lot (its already truly amazing as it is) - the rest would just give it more of an edge.
It certainly isn't simply something to show off the GP32 16bit gfx mode lol - too much fun for that :)

I think that saving hi-scores would be abit too hard, but maby a password highscore save? Here is an algorithm to compress 2 nums into one, and that could be used for the first 5 hscores (maby):

Compress: (NUM1 * (MAXPOSSIBLENUM + 1)) + NUM2 Decompress: NUM1 = COMPRESSED / MAXPOSSIBLENUM + 1 and NUM2 = COMPRESSED % MAXPOSSIBLENUM

Just do this to compress 5 highscores into 1 big number (assuming that the # means the compression for the 2 numbers) ((((HS1 # HS2) # HS3) # HS4) # HS5) To decompress:

1 Get NUM1 and 2 from PASS, 2 is HS5
2 Get NUM1 and 2 from NUM1, 2 is HS4
3 Get NUM1 and 2 from NUM1, 2 is HS3
4 Get NUM1 and 2 from NUM1, 2 is HS2
5 Get NUM1 and 2 from NUM1, 2 is HS1

The passwords could get big, so for every character possible, assign a number that it can replace

Or, you could just save them, but I think that saving would be a bit hard ;)

Back