Arduino Gui Porting To Openpandora - Possible? Help?

kingoddball

Posted Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Hi There!
I have not got an openpandora yet, I plan to upon the release of this batch.
I plan on using my OpenPandora for EVERYTHING!

Now, the hard part for me.
I program and create alot of hardware devices (online household control, robots, security systems, motorbike ignition and security devices etc etc etc) using Arduino ( www.arduino.cc ) which is an OpenSource hardware development platform.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of software programming (only basic HTML and VisualBasic/RealBasic), I have contacted members over at arduino Forum and they believe that the Arduino GUI should quite easily be ported to OpenPandora (beagle board aswell), but I need someone with knowledge in this field to help me with this issue.

I'll copy/paste the responce I received from a very knowledgable arduino member.

"Re: Arduino GUI compiled for ARM CPU OpenPandora ??
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 23:15:10

This should possible.

Since the Pandora is closely related to the BeagleBoard this will focus on BB. They both run Angstrom Linux for ARMv7A/CortexA8 ARM processors.

Arduino IDE is written in Java so you need Java for Angstrom/OE http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#Java, this is not really standard Sun Java so some tweaking might be necessary.

Then you need the gcc-avr toolchain compiled for crosscompilation on ARMv7A, doable but will take some time if you have not built cross compilation toolchains before.

Building avrdudue for ARM should be easy.

FTDI serial port over USB is already in Angstrom Linux.

Then figure out how to distribute/install this in a nice and clean way to the Pandora.

It might keep you occupied for some weekends, but it should work."

Thank you all so very much, ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

wait, you can do arduino with no skillz at programming? explain this plox.

I dont know what a "Plox" is, but ad was stated.... I don't know SOFTWARE programming.
Two completely different things. Wiring is the language for the Arduino which is a "spin-off" of C.
I stopped programming for computers about 6 years ago, and picked up hardware hacking and programming.

So please, no snide or pointless comments!

kingoddball said:
Nazi alert.
also, if thats a requirement, You best be on your way, just ask PoisonedV

Last edited by a moderator:
kingoddball said:
I dont know what a "Plox" is, but ad was stated.... I don't know SOFTWARE programming.

This is just El Jefe's immature attempt at humor, ignore him.

kingoddball said:
Two completely different things. Wiring is the language for the Arduino which is a "spin-off" of C.
I stopped programming for computers about 6 years ago, and picked up hardware hacking and programming.

Technically, "wiring" is a programming language. It's just a higher level language than say, C. Anything you could do with C on a computer (say, make a tic tac toe game), you could do with the Arduino.

And the Arduino does look very interesting, and pretty cheap for what it is. I'll look into it more when I get a Pandora.

actually no attempt at humor was made in my first comment
and it would appear as if your comment was just as unhelpful as mine

Fair Enough.
Programming hardware is completely different to programming software.

That is the main reason my GP2X is sitting in a draw unused. I could never get the hang of the language.
That is also why I've came and asked for help with this issue.
So if you can help, that would be great, if not, thanks anyhow.

Main reason I want the Arduino GUI on an O/Pandora is because I'm currently in the process of building another race engine (motorbike) and we are also designing our own custom CDI (ignition unit) box to change the power curve and ignition degree, and I don't like taking my MacBook into the garage and workshop (because it's white and I hate cleaning it) and I think that the O/Pandora would be awesome on the track to reprogram my CDI's curve mid-race.

Yes, before anyone chimes in, I am fully aware that you can buy pre programed CDI boxes and fully programmable CDI's (Vortex and Wolfe) but I get no satisfaction in buying such over priced devices that I could just create myself, which is far more FUN!

com'on give kingoddball some slack.

"Programming" something like the Arduino is totally different then porting a GUI, while the "idea" may be the same the environment is totally different.
Coming from an electronic background myself, I can program an Arduino to do the stuff on hardware level I need (thanks to a lot of libs also) and i'm sure some of the stuff i make is pretty crappy code, but it works.

Which does not say i would be comfortable in trying to port something cross platform. It's simply a different thing to do.

Having the Arduino framework on the pandora may be indeed quite interesting to have for "field work" on a Arduino, aldo IMHO a 200 usd netbook is also a good option.

Finally, someone else who realises it's different.

I'm not interested in any netbooks.
I've went for the pandora because it's.... Different!

As a main system I generally will only use OSX. I have to use windows daily at work which sucks.

I've been looking into porting the GUI myself. I'm going to give it a shot sometime this week, I now think the remaining issues are avrdude to send the code to the microcontroller (not just arduino), and Java interpreter (FTDI maybe aswell).

GCC is that already running on the openpandora?

I've already ordered and paid for my pandora, and the lady who emailed me had said she has units in stock to send....
Why are people still waiting for the 2nd batch if they still have first batch available? (I've decided to wait for the newer batch in November[lady said Nov]).

kingoddball said:
GCC is that already running on the openpandora?
Are you kidding me? gcc runs on/for everything, and when I say everything, I mean *everything* (including telephone switches and metro information monitors). And since *all* of the software on the Pandora (including the kernel etc) is created using gcc, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it's available for the Pandora.

BTW, Canadian Crosses are indeed difficult to create, but since gcc doesn't have any special environment requirements or external libs, it shouldn't be a problem to cross it.

kingoddball said:
I've already ordered and paid for my pandora, and the lady who emailed me had said she has units in stock to send....
Why are people still waiting for the 2nd batch if they still have first batch available? (I've decided to wait for the newer batch in November[lady said Nov]).

hum, there are no Pandora's in stock seen there is not one non-prototype pandora yet made. If everything goes well then around november/december the first batch will actually ship.

dflemstr said:
BTW, Canadian Crosses are indeed difficult to create, but since gcc doesn't have any special environment requirements or external libs, it shouldn't be a problem to cross it.

A prime example of what I said, never heard about a "Canadian Cross" in Software...

Cheers. Makes googeling a bit less cumber sum if you know what keyword to use :)

Edit: I tought I posted in the same reply... Must get some sleep... :blink:

Anyhow, I've been looking into it, is there a Pandora Emulator that runs on Windows/OSX?? An emulator to emulate the actual OpenPandora console??

Nope.
Which is why devs are so anxious to get their mitts on the actual thing.

Thank You!
I did not realise they were not relased yet. I always thought that 3800'ish were realeased and sold and these are the 2nd set of Pandoras to be made! :eek:
Damn internet is so hard to find the right info!
Thanks Mate, that helps me alot.

Just another quick question, would the SmartQ (5/7) be similar to program, or run similar code?
They're around the same specs: Arm 620mhz (ish, bit lower I think) 128MB ram, Linux (Ubuntu) etc etc.

They would be similar to code for I guess, as they are both ARM devices... but keep in mind... smartQ's aren't available outside of asia, so you have to import
Also, if you are actually modifying code before loading it onto the arduino, you might want a physical keyboard...

Yeah I know.

Im not interested in a SmartQ. They're around $250. Ive already paid the O/P preorder cost.

I think I'll just keep annoying people around here! :ph34r:
Hopefully someone can port the GUI to the pandora one day. It'll be perfect for me!
The Pandora will become my All in one device, next to my iPhone of course!

torpor said:
SmartQ's are crap, anyway. I had a Q7 for a week before the USB stopped working ..
A bit harsh, I've had mine since June and no problems at all.

Back