Are You Planning To Develop Games For Gp2x?

Planning to develop games for GP2X?

• Yes and I'm going for high quality commercial games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and I'm planning to make ports/emulators

• Yes but only simple free stuff

• Maybe if there is an easier solution then C

• Maybe but only with some kind of game making software

• Maybe, I don't know yet

• No because I don't have a clue how

• No I'm just interested in playing games

• Total voters

Website
www.digitalawakening.net
To clarify:
Easier then C means a simpler programming solution like Basic.
Game making software means something like Click&Play or RPG Maker.

I'm interested in knowing the situation for possible games for GP2X and if there's a big interest there may be a larger interest for others to make game development software. If you have any past experiences in any software developing then please post about them here.

I'm into making high quality commercial games myself. I don't like doing half harted games and I got a lot of ideas that I think will be fun in games. I have some previous experience, you can find info and shots on my site. I'm currently working on a free web based RPG but I'm very interested in developing seriously for a handheld, GP2X is like a dream come true for me. Due to lack of time beeing a student I'm planning to start developing for GP2X early next year.

I'll be making Pong for the hell of it, but as that's pushing the limit of my Java skills as is, I'm afraid I'll not be putting out anything terribly interesting in the forseeable future...

I picked ports, but I'm actually doing ports, simple free, and depending on a few other things that are happening at the moment I may be looking into commercial.

I'm fairly fluent with C and I have experience with SDL so I will try to port some apps but I've never ported anything before so I don't know where to begin.

I'm hoping to do some simple-free stuff. Not like, pong simple, but nothing too crazy.

What about high-quality free games :)

I'd like to see the developer who put in all the time and effort into maing a high quality commercial level game and then offer it for free. Sure he/she might get some donnations but it probably won't be much. I'm sure he'd get very popular though if the game is fun :)

Oh, and in that case wote for high quality but mention in a post that you're giving it away for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think many serious developers will most likely be releasing both free and commercial release of various kinds.

It will be interesting to see how the "industry" pans out on the GP2X.

To clarify:
Easier then C means a simpler programming solution like Basic.
Game making software means something like Click&Play or RPG Maker.

Well, being a professional developer, saying language X is too hard is like a writer saying English grammar is too hard. Making real commercial games is way way beyond whether you can write some code in whatever language. Just like writing, making a game/application isn't that hard; making a good one is the real challenge.

In my case, I'll try to make some simple shooter/puzzle games for fun, but nothing serious; I'm already losing enough hairs making one for living. :)

I shall be working on a unique (in my usual style) commercial game. It won't be to everyones tastes, unless you like my previous stuff.

I shall be working on a unique (in my usual style) commercial game. It won't be to everyones tastes, unless you like my previous stuff.

I'm new to GP32/GP2x scene. Would you mind explain me your usual style, please? I didn't know you develop games, too. I have to say I like your lifestyle. :)

What about high-quality free games :)

I'd like to see the developer who put in all the time and effort into maing a high quality commercial level game and then offer it for free. Sure he/she might get some donnations but it probably won't be much. I'm sure he'd get very popular though if the game is fun :)

Oh, and in that case wote for high quality but mention in a post that you're giving it away for free.
There will be a few high-quality free games. People don't always make games for the money. Some people actually enjoy making games and because they're nice people they release them for free so that everyone else can enjoy them.

I would work on some stuff when I get it. However that will be a while, as I'm waiting for it to be released, and for the scene to mature a little. Until then, I will continue my work on the GP32 and perhaps even afterwards do stuff for both.

This poll is missing an option, for high quality free games. I intend to program a (possibly) commercial game based on Quake, and a free original top-scrolling shooter game based on an original engine in the vein of such intense titles as the Dodonpachi series or PC shooters like Samidare or the Touhou shooters.

Voted with the top option since I had to pick ONE..

I think that's probably most appropriate. Like you, I'd like to create interesting commercial or shareware type stuff, but I doubt my skills are up to it :)

Still, we'll see.

Well, being a professional developer, saying language X is too hard is like a writer saying English grammar is too hard. Making real commercial games is way way beyond whether you can write some code in whatever language. Just like writing, making a game/application isn't that hard; making a good one is the real challenge.

There are commercial games written using software like Blitz Basic, don't know how successfull they are but that's up to the design and art skills of the devs and usually not the programming skills. Programming in C/C++ is quite hard and the benefits of doing so varies depending on the game you are making. Also there are people out there who are happy to make free stuff, maybe even of high quality, using software like RPG Maker. And if there are enough people interested in any of these 2 solutions then there are people out there with more knowledge of C/C++ who would gladly make these kinds of software or porting exising ones resulting in more games beeing developed for GP2X.

I didn't know you developed games, where can I see something you have done?

I"m going to release a shareeware-quality game, for free on gp2x and for sale on other platforms.. though it might have to have a few things yanked out of it for freebie version depending on licensing of assets :/

So you're forgetting the ports/emus+freeware, and shareware, groups :)

(okay, so shareware==commercial perhaps)

jeff

I voted "maybe if there was an easier solution than C", but then, all I would be making would probably fall under the "simple free stuff". However, if game making software became available, I would probably do something more complex and ambitious. I like making games, and have done so for a coupla years now, with Rm2k(3), Sphere('till I got fed up with coding everything and getting bogged down in designing objects) and now Gamemaker.

Of course, that only applies if I actually get a GP2X. I hope to, but I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to.

Back