Asr Carry Case - What's Good About It?

Blah

Wanna Be Programmer
Website
Visit site
Well, my GBA case is getting old and cramped, and I saw that the ASR case is available again. So what makes it better than a GBA case, hmm?

A few things that come to mind are:

Official GP32-ness: Its actually made for GP32
Size: Is it bigger?
Design: Is it better designed for your GP32 and the things you'd take with it?
Coolness Factor: How do YOU think it looks?

I also noticed the protective plastic front pocket, cool.

Also, this is the best picture I could find of it, got any better ones?

i have one and i think its great, the plastic bit inside dosent fit perfectly, but you would take it out to play anyway, theres also a handy loop on the back to tie to yourself or somthing, belt maybe? Inside theres 2 spots for smcs and a handy little zip mesh pouch for earbuds or more games.

its a must buy!

I have both cases and overall, I like the original case better. The asr case is cool in that it lets you play while it's in the case, but the plastic always gets in the way of your joystick. Plus, it downsn't provide the protection the original case would give (I dropped mine in the originial case a lot of times, but it didn't even make a sound.)

I'm in the US. Ordering from gbax takes too long and costs too much in import taxes.

Believe me, I ordered my GP32 from them.

Yes but this case is £3.99. That is way way under the import tax limit and it is a very nice case. Not as good as my Entware one but you won't find that case new anymore so it is a moot point.

Every GP32 owner should have some sort of case to protect there unit from the worst of abuse :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the US. Ordering from gbax takes too long and costs too much in import taxes.

Believe me, I ordered my GP32 from them.

Yes but this case is £3.99. That is way way under the import tax limit and it is a very nice case. Not as good as my Entware one but you won't find that case new anymore so it is a moot point.

Every GP32 owner should have some sort of case to protect there unit from the worst of abuse :D.

I still have the original pink bubble wrap... :unsure:

Right now the only case I use is a fairly good Samsonite camera case. It affords protection and it has spaces for the USB cable and extra batteries as well as the SMCs.

I've got the SP 300 GBA case and the ASR case.
The ASR case looks cool because it has the GP32 logo and all. The coolness factor is good.
The GBA case (see picture below) has better protection in the back pocket. The front pocket has more space for SMCs, batteries, earbuds and eventually the USB cable.
But the design of the ASR case is not that good. There is a front plastic pocket that has openings for the buttons and the pad, but it does not work well. Plus, the pad sticks to the plastic pocket whenever you have to remove the GP from the case.
Also, when you have to store batteries, SMCs, usb cable and earbuds in the front pocket of the ASR case, everthing gets crammed.

109223D.jpg

After removing the GBA logo, the SP 300 case looks made for the GP32 :)

I've got the SP 300 GBA case and the ASR case.
The ASR case looks cool because it has the GP32 logo and all. The coolness factor is good.
The GBA case (see picture below) has better protection in the back pocket. The front pocket has more space for SMCs, batteries, earbuds and eventually the USB cable.
But the design of the ASR case is not that good. There is a front plastic pocket that has openings for the buttons and the pad, but it does not work well. Plus, the pad sticks to the plastic pocket whenever you have to remove the GP from the case.
Also, when you have to store batteries, SMCs, usb cable and earbuds in the front pocket of the ASR case, everthing gets crammed.

109223D.jpg

After removing the GBA logo, the SP 300 case looks made for the GP32 :)

I've got that GBA case and I have removed the logo long ago.
So its better to store the GP32 in the back? Mine's in the front.

You can actually store it in the front or back pockets.

It really depends on how much stuff you are going to carry along. If only a couple of loose SMCs and batteries, the front pocket is fine for the loose stuff and the back pocket is fine for the GP. If you have to carry more stuff (earbuds + USB cable or more batteries) than the GP in the front pocket is fine.

Storing the GP in the back is a safer bet, I think. It has more paddings, as well as the zipper. I also stored the unit in the front, but I think it is a little cramped for the GP. The pad sometimes gets stuck when inserting the GP into the pocket.

I just bought a official GBA case from Dollar Tree (for $1.00 of course), and its great. I ripped off the GBA logo and replaced it with my own sticker.

Here are some crappy pics made with my scanner:

The Case, with its semi-hard shell and form-fitting design for added protection agains drops and stuff.

The Case, showing how well the GP32 fits. The other side has a bag that can fit about 8 batteries, a couple SMC's and a pair of earbuds. On the back their is a strap for attaching it to things (like belt loops). It works well for that as its alot less clunky and big than the other case.

gbalogo8yf.png

The old GBA logo plastic thingy.

gp32logosticker5kz.png

My GP32 logo sticker. The original is a .svg, for unlimited scalability.

Back