Astro Slide 5G vs F(x)tec Pro1 X

SAS

After discovering that PinePhone with hardware keyboard is not my solution for 'always on, always connected device with hardware keyboard' - and not expecting to get :p&|a: in 2 Months TM :) - the quest for successor of Blackberry Priv continues.

The main reasons I am considering upgrade from the Priv are:
* dual-language glitches - my main inconvenience with the Priv is that there is no system support for the second language layout for the hardware keyboard I am using besides English. And third-party solutions like AnySoft unfortunately do not have time-saving 'extras' like auto-completion.
* no root - and I don't feel like I am in control over my device. What I am missing most is TitaniumBackup.
* cramped keyboard - although any hardware keyboard is better than no-hw-kbd :) - the one on the Priv has relatively small keys with minimal travel distance. Being a portrait slider - there is no space for arrow keys or dedicated numbers row. And being Blackberry - the keys are squar-ish, with no distance between them - so unlike Treo 680 (or Blackberry Bold 9000 from the days of old) - I still cannot type without looking at the device.
* lack of fingerprint sensor.
* lack of wireless charging - finding STV100-1 (US version) Priv in Europe was quite difficult - so I ended with STV100-4 that lacks Qi charging.

I will probably stick with Android (official, as long as there is root, or fork like Lineage), because of the variety of options - starting with browsers and going on with text editors / e-book readers / camera apps / etc. But having Linux compatibility will be an appreciated extra.

So I am considering two devices - Planet Computers Astro Slide 5G (AS_5G) and F(x)tec Pro1 X (Fx_Pro1X). Here is a quick comparison of their specifications (couldn't find anything similar):

AS_5GFx_Pro1X
CPU8-core MediaTek Dimensity 800 processor (4 x 2.6GHz A76\4 x 2GHz A55 cores, MT6873 SoCQualcomm Snapdragon 662
kbd5-row; 53-key5-row, 64-key
screen size6.4"6"
screen resolution2340x10802160 x 1080
weight325 g243 g
dimensions172.4 x 76.5 x 18.7mm154 x 73.6 x 13.98 mm
RAM8 GB6 / 8 GB
built-in storage128 GB128 GB
mSDyesup to 2 TB
bluetooth5.15.1 + LE
USB CUSB type C * 2USB Type-C with HDMI support
wireless chargingyesno
battery4000 mAh3200 mAh
GPU? ARM Mali-G57 GPQualcomm Adreno 610
5Gyesno
3.5 mmyesyes
FingerPrintyesyes
NFCyesyes

What I like about the AS_5G:
* keyboard design;
* Qi charging;
* stylus-support - details needed;
* Psion-spirit;
* feels closer to being ready to ship.

What I like about the Fx_Pro1X:
* size - more compact;
* number of keys;
* more 'root-rooted' / xda-spirit.

There are 'horror stories' both for Fx1 Pro and Gemini / Cosmo - but both companies deliver. Currently, the communication from Planet Computers feels more straight-forward and it seems like they will ship sooner - probably even this month.

I am leaning toward the AS_5G because of the Qi charging, the keys design and possible stylus support - that will make it 'almost perfect'. Only if the number of keys ...

Do you have any opinion? Am I missing something? Recommendations? Remarks :- ?)

Thanks!

Friend, we're in the same boat.
I'm too using a Blackberry Priv right now.
I even have the same magnet charger sticking out of its USB port.
(Oh boy, I love that capacitive keyboard which lets me scroll websites and do other things without the need of touching the screen. also it helps to show off infront of other weople as they likely have never seen anything like that)

Thanks to ABD I could uninstall all the Google bloat and am happy with it.
Unfortunately the battery starts to die and GPS seems to be broken.

What did I do:
By the end of last year I backed the Astro Slider.
Here are my reasons (compared to F(X) tech Pro):
- 5G support
- Better processor (if I remember correctly)
- Dual USB-C
- Supports multi-boot and Linux by default
- German QWERTZ was available
- Much cheaper via Indiegogo right now
- Bigger battery (longer battery life? )

What was it that made my decision?
-> It was way cheaper as I got an early bird from indoegogo.
-> Advertised support of multi OS as well as Linux. I might use that phone as a mobile Linux computer on a dock and remove Linux from my Win 3
-> Hope of getting it soon now as my phone is dying

Both phones are good.
EvilDragon uses the F(x) Tech and I've held it in my hands already. It feels solid and I don't think it'll be a mistake if you buy it.

Reactions: SAS
Well, you were my inspiration to get Priv in the first place ;) and overcome my hesitation due to lack of root. NetGuard took care for 'call mothership sh*t ' xD

Personally, I don't really care about 5G and CPU specs, but you are right that 'better-is-better'. It will be great to have some more details about the stylus support on the AS 5G - that will be a 'killer' feature for me. And ideally to have the possibility to test them 'hands-on side-by-side' - but can't see that happening any time soon....

I will ask on Discord as well - but @EvilDragon - are you planning to sell either Astro Slide 5G or F(x)tec Pro1 X at DragonBox shop?

Ooooh - and regarding the battery on the Priv - I bought a replacement one last spring; found a technician, willing to replace it - but due to lack of reliable complete backup - still have not risked to upgrade .... Just proving why recovery / Titanium backups matter IMO.

Well, you were my inspiration to get Priv in the first place
Oh, nice. didn't know that.
Honestly, if GPS would not fail I'd replace the battery myself as I really like that phone and it does all I want.

It will be great to have some more details about the stylus support on the AS 5G - that will be a 'killer' feature for me
Why?
It's not like the Galaxy Note which includes the stylus.
Why would I want an stylus for a phone which I need to keep track of and carry one more "thing" with me?
IMHO and 5€ stylus will do the job.
Icons on a smartphone are big and scrolling websites also works with any passive stylus.
It's not like I'm drawing on that tiny screen.

As I have a Win 3 and use the touchscreen quite a bit I must say, that capacitive touchscreens are PRECISE nowadays.
I 95% of the time hit the right pixels in areas which are crowded with many icons/letters/lines whatever.
Honestly, I see absolutely no benefit in using an active stylus on a.
It's just a burden:
- Where is it?
- Is it charged?

To me the Astro Slider seems to be more friendly to support multi boot.
Also those 2 USB ports are superb. I broke the USB-C port on my Win 3 which left the device useless for 3 months until I got the new motherboard.

From what I have seen the F(x) tech might have a better thumb typing experience than the Astro Slider.
If I had both phones in front of me for the same price chances are high I'd chosen the F(x) Tech Pro.

HOWEVER:
Before the Priv I had the HTC Desire Z which also has a sliding keyboard.
To me it seems like the Keyboard uses a mechanism which is comparable to the one of the F(x) tech.
And the reason why I needed to let go of my Desire Z was because the keyboard mechanically failed and some keys almost stopped working (even after taking the keymat out and cleaning the thing if I remember correctly).

To me the killer feature for the Astro Slider is the dual USB ports and how well Linux is already supported.
I seriously consider using that thing as a mobile Linux desktop and my GPD solely for gaming (which frees up some space on the hard drive).

I'm curious to see how a relatively fast typer could perform on this Astro Slide, versus something like a Galaxy Fold 3 5G that I use.
In unfolded mode, in widescreen, I can type around 60 WPM with my thumbs on my phone, which is crazy, as that's almost as fast as I can type with a full-size keyboard using all 10 fingers.
Couple things to think about, having a physically keyboard introduces travel time for keys, versus instant keypress on a screen. I'd argue that the on screen KB on my unfolded Galaxy Fold 3 is also pretty much the same size as this Astro Slide.
Only downside is that the cost is prohibitively expensive for most if you get it unlocked as I did. That said, I'm probably totally going to buy the AS5 as it looks super cool regardless.

Why?
It's not like the Galaxy Note which includes the stylus.
Why would I want an stylus for a phone which I need to keep track of and carry one more "thing" with me?
IMHO and 5€ stylus will do the job.
Icons on a smartphone are big and scrolling websites also works with any passive stylus.
It's not like I'm drawing on that tiny screen.
I found stylus-input to be the easiest way for commenting / editing on-the-go. And in many cases it is easier to doodle / draw something rather than type it (even with a hw kbd and even on a small screen like Treo-s).

Now, if it is just the usual capacitive stylus - no matter 5 € or 500 € - it will be impractical on this screen size. But if it is 'fine-tip' - like the ones for resistive screens or Samsung Note series - then it will be my 'killer feature' :D Totally agree that ideally the stylus should be incorporated in the body - like with the Pyra - but I don't mind having another 'writing instrument' in my pockets, as long as it allows for fine drawing. And I doubt that their stylus will require charging.

One of the first 'regular backer' first impressions review.

Generally positive, highlights the advantages of AS, I am pleasantly surprised by the comments for screen quality.

In summary what else can I say about the Astro Slide. Sure it’s chunky, but it has a full mechanical keyboard, what would you expect. As a step up from the Gemini and Cosmo though it is certainly a step up, and then some. While the Cosmo was a generational leap from the Gemini, the Astro is to the Cosmo what the Google Pixel 6 Pro was from the Pixel 5, whereas the new model is top end, replacing its “designed as middle of the road” predecessor.

Hope to get mine in 'less than two months' :D

Back