"AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER."....

Klumpen

Run away! Run away!
Last edited by a moderator:
"In the Ramtop village where they dance the real Morris dance, for example, they believe that no-one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away - until the clock they wound up winds down, until the wine she made has finished its ferment, until the crop they planted is harvested. The span of someone's life, they say, is only the core of their actual existence."
- Reaper Man

Damn, I don't think I shed so many tears for my own grandfather.

He was a genius, I don´t have all his books but am close to it... 

I am not really sure what to say... 

A tribute by xkcd:

terry_pratchett.png

https://xkcd.com/1498/

GNU SIR TERRY PRATCHETT

"We keep that name moving in the Overhead," he said, and it seemed that the wind in the shutter arrays above blew more forlornly, and the everlasting clicking of the shutters grew more urgent. "He'd never have wanted to go home. He was a real linesman. His name is in the code, in the wind in the rigging and the shutters. Haven't you heard the saying 'A man's not dead while his name is still spoken'?"

- Going Postal​

I also found this over on the PennyArcade forums:

klemming said:
As he walked across the black sand, Sir Terry looked at his hands.

His fingers hadn't done what he'd wanted them to for years, and it was quite satisfying to see them respond to his commands again.

He licked his lips, out of habit more than any biological need. He knew it wouldn't change things, but there was one question he really did want an answer to.

"...Will there be paper? Pens? Typewriters? Word processors?"

"ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛʜᴇᴍ"

A grim smile appeared on his lips, and his pace quickened. He may have all the time in the world, but it helped to have something to look forward to.

Its pretty Sad to read about the unfinished novels, but if it was his wish, than i think whe should do it so..
He made a lot of great books, some time ago, i bought me lots of them ( Some 2 Novells in 1 Book)..

Mybe its better to destroy the unfinished books, because if somewhone else trys to finish them, it just can be awefull,

Exactly. I would not want his unfinished work to be ruined by someone else. I fear the same would happen as with so many TV series, once they become a success then making more of it takes priority over telling the story.

He has written so many great books for us to enjoy. I do not need more of a lower quality.

That is also how Kafka wished it with all of his stuff (well rather burned since it was paper), which is why I'm hesitant to read his stuff.

Times are a bit different for creators today. Although I don't know life of Kafka, I'll use some more local example. By the end of XIX century a poet C.K. Norwid died. He wanted his works and notes to be destroyed (and in fact a part was). Today his poems are published. Fortunately in unchanged form.
Let's imagine thar mr. Norwid died in the beginning of 21th century, not ending of 19th. So first, there would be a small court battle between companies. Finally, the one which paid the biggest cash would hire copywriters, finish works from notes, make derivatives and place ads in as many places as possible before publishing.
In this perspective the steam roller looks to be the better idea.

I wonder what should have happened if Frank Herbert had the same wish...

Anyway it's always good to see people taking seriously that kind of request

Back