Atari 800 Emu

Belgarath

Mega GP2X Mania
Website
gbamiga.elowar.com
I started trying out more 5200 games on a800 today, after trying a couple I got to choplifter, it ran fine but I realised I couldn't shoot, then I remembered that I had problems with HERO using MESS for 5200 emulation on the PC.

After a bit of research I discovered how to fix the second fire button for the atari 800 emulator. There is a problem with the original a800 emulator where the second firebutton has been mapped to the left shift key, this has been carried over to the gp32 port as well. So simply edit the 5200.men with notepad and NOT wordpad (because the emu won't read the menus properly unless they are plain text) and add D:B:SHIFT

make sure it's followed by a little square, which are the linebreaks, just copy and paste one of the existing ones.

If you have done it right you will now have a working second firebutton, you should now be able to fire in choplifter and use the dynamite in hero, and i'm sure there are quite a few other games that need both fire buttons.

Wow man, that is an awesome find. Someone should archive this info and put it along side the download for this emu on this site. I wondered why I couldn't do a couple of things in that emu, but didn't know enough about it to figure it out. Nice job!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is happy about this :)

The 5200 actually has a whole keypad as well and although not needed for a majority of games there are a few which require it.

I'll knock up a proper 5200.men later today with the second fire button fix and put a key slider on the select menu so that all the controls are available.

gp32x can certaintly add it to the downloads section if they wish

Quick update

I added a menu with the 5200 keypad controls on it, however it's interpreting the commands as being on an atari 800 keyboard, and the a5200 keypad was wired up differently, for instance 5 on the emulator is actually 2 on the 5200 keypad

I'm trying different keys to see if I can map all the 5200 keypad controls correctly

Back