Atari ST.. mega alpha all-crap release for fun :)

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
OKay, heres the latest screenshot. Pretty darned sweet and sharp eh? OKay, so I've not tried any games yet to see if they work, but its a pretty desktop!

http://www.codejedi.com/castaway/screensho...hots/cst004.png

I'm betting any real games will only crash right now; but maybe some GEM games would run, or simple games? I dunno. I've not had tiem to try.. been too busy working on the core itself, to get it to work "at all" on GP32 :)

I'll likely be busy all weekend (sigh), but I'll keep at this.. hopefully some more updates early next week. As soon as I can get away from house chores.. gotta start spring cleaning and promised thw wife I'd rebuild the garage.. uh oh :)

Since there might be a couple of dry days, I figured I'd let you guys try it out. It sucks right now, but its a cool show off ;)

Download it on the website. Be sure to read the README, as it telsl you why its so slow. (ie: Mega early alpha, and full of debug and stuff. I imagine I can double the speed which might make it usable). It does take 1 whole minute to come up. Too bad, its alpha ;)

See the pretty screenshot, and download it here:

http://www.codejedi.com/shadowplan/gp32.html

Wow... it's really amazing to see how fast this thing is improving! It's especially B), since you keep us
updated about this project so frequently. I find it a great move from you to make such an early version
available for download!

Kudos and keep it going! :)

hando posted on Apr 25 2003 said:
I am just shocked :) Great work Jeff :)
Thanks hando, tapsel :) And hando, thanks for keeping the best GP32 site on top of things :)

I've been developing a fairly long time, doing all sorts of interesting things. I make my living with my own little Palm OS company, too. I've learnt something over the years... keeping excitement up, doing everythign in the public, releasing early and often, .. thats how you build a community, and keep the juices going ;) People don't like to be teased, or to hear and not see.. they get jealoous, etc. Peopel liek to be hands on. On the other side, the devo side, I like to get thigs out there, since then peopel do all your bug finding for you.. you can only find so many on your own (for large complex applications), so getting it into someone shands lets them feal the value they've paid for, and lets them helkp find issues, and keeps them moving. If you rerlease once a year. big yawns. Release alphas every week.. you've got people hooked ;) I don't like the alpha/beta systems which are closed.. I keep all alphas/bnetas open to the public, with anyoen able to join. All questions welcome, all toipics discussed. IT takes a huge amount of time investm,ent (not for my GP32 stuff, but for my Palm OS stuff), but it is very mcuh worth it.. I've built large communities of friendly and excited users, got lots of friends, and a word of mouth network you can't avoid. So its good for average joe who wants to play (he can ignore it if he wants ot, or jump right in), and its good for me since it keeps me challenged (peopel finding bugs *Fast* when theres hundreds of peopel banging away), and it keeps the software quality high (more eyes).

So thats it. Thats my philosophy, developed over many years. Release early, release often, involve the public. Its the first thing I say on my website.. here to serve.

So I do this out of love for classic gaming and hardware, and because its in my blood; but I run my company the same way... love it, or dont' do it at all, I say :)

And still afloat after 2 years :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, you have quite possibly made my day.

This has me almost as excited as Zelda: The Wind Waker!

This is great - nice to see it going so well... lets hope it keeps going at this rate - it'll be done by summer :D

(hehe - only joking - no pressure!)

Keep it up (I just wish I had the ability to do it too!)

Cheers

Heh. Let's see if we can somehow utilise the USB connector to transfer MIDI data, and get Cubase running on it. :D

Back