Ati's R580 Chip

Shadow of Chaos

Website
Visit site
anyone know if i will be able to run this card?

look here http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3073

there is just one thing im confused with, on my PSU.. it is an enermax 600W.. it has dual 12V rails, yet.. for this card to run, it says that "ATi has revealed that Radeon X1900 XTX will require at least 450W PSU with 30A in 12V rail. If in Crossfire setup, the system will require at least 550W PSU and the 12V rail will need to provide 38A"

since my rails are split, there will be only 18A going through each one.. does this mean i wont be able to use the card and will be underpowered?

no :( .. it says it needs a psu with a 30Amp on the 12V rail but mine has a split rail with 18A on each.. and the card only accepts 1 connection?.. meaning its not enough amps on 1 rail for the card?.. i dont get it

If your graphics card eats up 18A at 12V on it's own, then I'll eat my hat :) Just use one of the rails for your system (harddisk, dvd, etc) and one for your graphics card, should be no problems.

However, if you find you system crashes a lot, then you may want to buy a power supply with either non-split rails, or bigger amperage rails.

If your graphics card eats up 18A at 12V on it's own, then I'll eat my hat :) Just use one of the rails for your system (harddisk, dvd, etc) and one for your graphics card, should be no problems.

However, if you find you system crashes a lot, then you may want to buy a power supply with either non-split rails, or bigger amperage rails.

Over 200W of power just for graphics card, this is insane...

What next? Mandatory 1K for power supplies?

No thanks. This is unacceptable and this is one of reason why I'm getting more and more tired with all this PC business.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this PSU since i thought its more future proof, i think i paid at least 70 quid for it.. might have been more, i dont remember.

Computers are starting to annoy me aswell, ive had G skill ram mess up alot of times because i get problems while trying to OC them and thats what their meant for, now im going to rma another pair soon.. <_<

anyway, i cant believe this new card will need so much amps.. ill probably be underpowering it, and thats not good.. though i guess there is no official word on how much amps it will need yet until more info is released.. that is just pure guesses right?

Yes, these are all pure guesses, but the good thing is that using a PSU that isn't upto the task is generally like overclocking. You won't cause harm, but your system may be unstable or refuse to boot. The worst thing that generally happens is that the PSU shuts down or resets your machine when you load a game that causes the graphics card to suck too much power.

So I reckon you should just chuck the card in there and have fun with it :)

Back