Attribute Class Problem In Spectrum Emulators

zaoin

Website
Visit site
Hello.

Can attribute class be eliminated from spectrum(and other 8bit computer) emulators?

MSX_Computer_Color_Limit.gif

I was playing with Zspectrum(Thanks Fangorn!) with Tapwave Zodiac and I thought if an emulator coder can write an emulator than bypass this.

Xmoon said:
Hello.

Can attribute class be eliminated from spectrum(and other 8bit computer) emulators?

I was playing with Zspectrum(Thanks Fangorn!) with Tapwave Zodiac and I thought if an emulator coder can write an emulator than bypass this.

No, it cannot be eliminated - the attribute clash is a direct consequence of the way the hardware is built, and the way the memory is interfaced to by the CPU. This way they get a 256x192 display with 16 colours in a mere 6,912 bytes. Back in the day, that was pretty high-res for that kind of colour count. Because the attributes are part of the Spectrum's memory map, you can't really fiddle with them. Besides, that was one of the best things about the speccy :)

If you want a spectrum /without/ attribute clash, then you might consider this:

But that's not exactly a spectrum; it just behaves like one.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
Xmoon said:
Hello.

No, it cannot be eliminated - the attribute clash is a direct consequence of the way the hardware is built, and the way the memory is interfaced to by the CPU. This way they get a 256x192 display with 16 colours in a mere 6,912 bytes. Back in the day, that was pretty high-res for that kind of colour count. Because the attributes are part of the Spectrum's memory map, you can't really fiddle with them. Besides, that was one of the best things about the speccy :)

If you want a spectrum /without/ attribute clash, then you might consider this:

But that's not exactly a spectrum; it just behaves like one.

D.

Thanks for the answer. (I know, a lot late...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back