Authoritative Source of Pandora Apps and Games?

wesbrown18

Are there any sources or lists of Pandora applications that is authoritative and kept up to date? I was looking at the site maintained by CraigX, apps.open-panndora.org, but it does not appear to be entirely up to date -- i.e. PSX-ReARMed by Notaz is noted to be R6 on the apps.open-pandora.org site, but the latest version is apparently R7, which has to be discovered at the gp32x boards.

Or the latest Hotfix available on apps.open-pandora.org is HF4, whereas the most current one is HF5 -- this is discovered by reading the news forum here.

In other words, I am pretty much asking -- do I need to trawl the boards to find the latest up to date versions of various Pandora software? :)

There has to be a better way ...

Is anyone working on a package manager to manage the PND applications we want to have in the pandora ?

Milkshake is working on a repo style system and someone (sorry cant remember name ) and someone is making a client for it, the website milkshake is making is very very good

tempel is working on a native app-managing client.

his work is open source so anyone can suggest improvments to the git, cant rememeber the link at the moment though.

Speaking of finding and downloading games and applications - I am pleased with the PND format, however, there is a critical weakness in the appdata scheme.

Where and when I find the PND, there is often no documentation -- just a straight download link. So, I do not know what folder to create in /pandora/appdata to ensure that it is able to write files. There is no standardization. An example would be FHeroes2, where I'd think I'd just create /pandora/appdata/FHeroes2, but no, it has to be /pandora/appdata/FHereos2.pickle. This is at least a PND package that is documented.

So, when I create the SD card layout, I have to guess. This is more an issue of documentation, which defeats part of the point of the PND format, that you can download and just drag stuff to the SD card. Each PND really needs to either be auto-installing in that it populates the SD card's /appdata itself.

Or I could be missing something obvious.

the folder in appdata will be created automaticly. if it doesnt, make sure your user have the permissions to the appdata folder.

Wes, try checking the Documentation menu in Xfce, or highlighting the app in question and pressing the "Y" game button if you're using Minimenu.

Jey123456 covered the rest. :p

Is anyone working on a package manager to manage the PND applications we want to have in the pandora ?
Milkshake is working on a repo style system and someone (sorry cant remember name ) and someone is making a client for it, the website milkshake is making is very very good
I've seen it, and indeed it is much better than either of the existing file archives/appstores. Until it's made public, though, I'd definitely recommend the wiki. After that - we'll see what happens! The reason me and Cheese started those wiki articles in the first place was that things were split up between two file archives, and as time went on lots of devs stopped uploading to them altogether and used their own websites. If milkshake's site ends up being as comprehensive as the wiki, then it would be more useful for people. The trouble is that some people might not give permission to host their software, or would prefer to keep using their own hosts - but we'll see how it's handled...

P.S. Craig, for someone who's made an open-source handheld and who regularly criticizes Sony and Apple for their ways, you're awfully untrustworthy of community-originated efforts to organize things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of finding and downloading games and applications - I am pleased with the PND format, however, there is a critical weakness in the appdata scheme.

Where and when I find the PND, there is often no documentation -- just a straight download link. So, I do not know what folder to create in /pandora/appdata to ensure that it is able to write files. There is no standardization. An example would be FHeroes2, where I'd think I'd just create /pandora/appdata/FHeroes2, but no, it has to be /pandora/appdata/FHereos2.pickle. This is at least a PND package that is documented.

So, when I create the SD card layout, I have to guess. This is more an issue of documentation, which defeats part of the point of the PND format, that you can download and just drag stuff to the SD card. Each PND really needs to either be auto-installing in that it populates the SD card's /appdata itself.

Or I could be missing something obvious.
You're not alone. John Bedlam is working on a Windows utility to address that issue here:

Back