Avoiding the obvious: The OP 1.5

3_bit

I've noticed that half the threads here are about x86 and other dilemmas. Perhaps, instead of making the OP2.0, we fix the design flaws, test 1 or 2 new ideas, upgrade the NAND, RAM, and processor with a slightly different motherboard and case? Perhaps swap USB 2.0 for 3.0 if the ARM processor we use allows it, but generally keep things the same. This way, we can not only get units made within a year (or so) of planning, but try out new things, and overall create the kind of Pandora I, an x86 fan, would buy due to it's modern usability and high speed, whilst waiting for the OP2 to come out a few/several years after.

I don't know the numbers, but I'll bet just updating the hardware and a few minor changes, such as fixing whatever minor defects are in the Rebirth version, could make a unit that will really sell and give ED and co. the funding they need to develop a much more complex, and competitive with mainstream, device.

I've noticed that half the threads here are about x86 and other dilemmas. Perhaps, instead of making the OP2.0, we fix the design flaws, test 1 or 2 new ideas, upgrade the NAND, RAM, and processor with a slightly different motherboard and case? Perhaps swap USB 2.0 for 3.0 if the ARM processor we use allows it, but generally keep things the same. This way, we can not only get units made within a year (or so) of planning, but try out new things, and overall create the kind of Pandora I, an x86 fan, would buy due to it's modern usability and high speed, whilst waiting for the OP2 to come out a few/several years after.

I don't know the numbers, but I'll bet just updating the hardware and a few minor changes, such as fixing whatever minor defects are in the Rebirth version, could make a unit that will really sell and give ED and co. the funding they need to develop a much more complex, and competitive with mainstream, device.
We've already got an OP 1.5. It's called the 1GHz version.

-God Ginrai

upgrade the NAND, RAM, and processor with a slightly different motherboard and case?
Because by the time you've "slightly" modified everything, you're still looking at something completely new. There's nothing that can be slightly changed about the board, if a new SoC is chosen it needs to be completely redesigned. The 1Ghz is pin compatible with the old 600Mhz, but that was chosen by design, and there isn't a similarly pin compatible upgrade from the 1Ghz to anything and there probably won't be. You can't just "modify" a case, either. The moulds are machined out of metal. If you want to change something you're going to need new moulds.Designing new board, new case moulds, you're basically redoing everything. The only difference between what you're proposing and what anyone looking for a P2 is proposing is that you don't want to call it a P2, just a 1.5 (which, as mentioned, is basically what the 1Ghz version is), less incremental but still the same startup cost.

Back