Backspace Key?

vaylen

Still Fresh
So will users have to hit the left on the directional pad and then the delete key every time they want to backspace?

There will probably be some sort of combination, possibly a shoulder key + delete.

vaylen said:
So will users have to hit the left on the directional pad and then the delete key every time they want to backspace?
In some OSs the Delete key works like a backspace. I'm guessing that is the case here.

Last edited by a moderator:
DasFool said:
In some OSs the Delete key works like a backspace. I'm guessing that is the case here.
And if not, you can just re-map that function to the DEL key.

DawnOfTheRent said:
Does "configurable" mean we can remap all the buttons to support completely different layouts (Ex: Dvorak)?
I wouldn't see why not, as you can do that in pretty much any Linux flavor.

DawnOfTheRent said:
Does "configurable" mean we can remap all the buttons to support completely different layouts (Ex: Dvorak)?
Yes, as you can in only Linux distribution.

Why not simply using the "X"-Button or the "B"-Button, because the position for this function is nearly perfect. ;)
(The ones used for Gaming!!!)

Have a look at this picture and you'll certainly see what I mean:
bigone.jpg

Greetings,
Majamee

ps: what do you think of the idea?
(yeah, I already know that remapping is possible, but it would be great if it would be preconfigured for usability right out of the box ;) )

The question is: What will be the DEFAULT backspace key on the Pandora?

Left on the D-Pad isn't horrible, however something like Fn+Del would be kinda hard to hit.
Fn+Space doesn't look bad since a moderately chubby thumb should be able to roll from fn -> space pretty easily and depress both.

Additionally, Scroll lock is important to M.E.S.S. (which I'm sure someone will port). You need to to switch keyboard layouts to access the M.E.S.S. menu and exit the emulator with ESC . And sadly, Scroll Lock is no where to be found. So, whomever ports M.E.S.S. will have to keep that in the back of their mind.

Kyosys said:
I like that X idea, but I'd still much rather have an extra key for it.
I would prefer avoiding the use of action buttons to emulate keystrokes wherever possible. When using emulators for systems that have keyboards and joysticks, Amiga for example. I'd rather keep the action buttons free to serve their intended purpose, playing games. While still having maximum keyboard functionality as well.

How about backspace being available through both X and Fn+del then?

How about when they actually print the labels on the keypad, they print "BS" on the top-rightmost key instead of "DEL"? Or better yet, how about just "←"?

There. The whole problem just went away.

Chip said:
How about when they actually print the labels on the keypad, they print "BS" on the top-rightmost key instead of "DEL"? Or better yet, how about just "←"?

There. The whole problem just went away.
BUT! I want a del key as well, and I'm fine with the del key right where it is. :lol:

screw osx. nobody cares about it. it has no friends.

Here's what I'd like to have, illustrated in MSPaint (ironically, kinda)
Note that I also added a FN-Lock key on the left, just to make it symmetrical. When they actually do something like this they should probably use it for something more useful than FN Lock, though.
anyway:
628120_leetphotoshop.jpg

They purposely left those areas free because when you hold the device in playing position (thumbs on dpad/analog and buttons/analog) your thumns lay there.

At least that's what I read a while back (I think it was MWeston(?)).

Back