Bad films that are actually good

Fzero

Advanced Member
Thread title says it, inspired by the 'bad games that are actually good' posts...

I just watched Bunraku, hadn't heard of it and just liked the screenshot of it on the Sky Anytime menu so gave it a watch... thought it was very good, loved the way it was shot and transition effects, also the revenge plots.

After watching it I just checked it on Wikipedia to see what the title meant.. which is an old Japanese form of puppetry, but it seems generally reviews for this were very poor.

I have to go against this opinion and rate it

Anyone else enjoy this film?

other films you liked generally not reviewed well by the mainstream?

I'm going to pick it up on dvd to add to the collection

M.D. Geist is rated low, still one of the animes I enjoy most, have watched several times and will again. It's down to the music, the style of the vehicles, fightex and mecha-monsters and a few instances of over-the-top brutality.

MV5BMjE2OTEzNzk0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQ3MTEyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR12,0,214,317_.jpg
MV5BMjA3MDk1MzcxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTYzNDIyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR14,0,214,317_.jpg

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Dead_%28franchise%29

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO and I'm being 100% serious when I say that despite what some dirty critics have said about the films or what you may have heard...I know in my heart all the Twilight movies are actually really good/awesome.

Team Edward, by the way.

I agree, though I wasn't aware Twilight Zone was badly rated. Classic far as I'm concerned.

Also mentioning Evil Dead, I love loads of 80s and 90s horror films which were not given good reviews.. April Fools Day for one, I've recommended it to mates too and they've cussed me after watching

The Beyond.. bad acting, but man.. this is a real hell, not movie. For me it's second best horror movie after carpenter's the thing.. one of a kind movie with really hell'ish mood / ambience.

Because of this move i just hate 2 things in real life: German Shepherd Dogs and basements in old houses.. both drives me crazy and it's because i watched The Beyond..

vlcsnap-174214.png

MV5BMTMyMDgzMDk5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE0Njg1Mw@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Grimm Love / Rohtenburg [2006] - Strange movie, its a bit horror, bit thriller, bit drama, and a lot of really twisted love.. it gets poor rating, but it shouldnt stop you from watching it.. its completely different approach for love and passion for something..

It seems that it is banned in germany.. maybe because plot is based on true german events..

The Beyond.. bad acting, but man.. this is a real hell, not movie. For me it's second best horror movie after carpenter's the thing.. one of a kind movie with really hell'ish mood / ambience.

Because of this move i just hate 2 things in real life: German Shepherd Dogs and basements in old houses.. both drives me crazy and it's because i watched The Beyond..
reminds me of From Beyond, watched it just a few days ago. Based on H.P. Lovecraft. A few good, old special effects. Not of the quality of aforementioned Carpenter's The Thing, which left a lasting impression. For those who didn't know, Carpenter's is a remake itself. There's a 2011 dated remake, too. It has computer effects and is nowhere near the dread and disgust of Carpenter's :/

I love that the remakes recreated the creepy title of the original (can't find a pic of the 2011 one, apparently there's versions with different title graphics)

If you guys mention Evil Dead here, let me throw in Bad Taste

MV5BMTc4Mzc4ODMxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAwODEyMQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg
and Braindead
MV5BMTcwMzY5MTYxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTUwOTc4._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg
which I both love, the latter being my favourite splatter.

Mars Trap is an OK Sci-Fi from the 80s. It has Bruce Campbell from Evil Dead and Walter Koenig from Star Trek. They are fun as a team :)

Oh, oh! Edit: Meet the Feebles XD

Hm, Star Trek movies have appeared to me as among the highest rated (Sci-Fi) movies of all times.

Grimm Love / Rohtenburg [2006] - Strange movie, its a bit horror, bit thriller, bit drama, and a lot of really twisted love.. it gets poor rating, but it shouldnt stop you from watching it.. its completely different approach for love and passion for something..

It seems that it is banned in germany.. maybe because plot is based on true german events..
Dude, that most certainly is not the reason. Most notably because those times are over. Geez

I still need to watch Peter Jacksons "Braindead" (Dead Alive) uncut some day. Since it is still banned in germany (like so many other movies) I guess I have to get it from other sources. ;)

Yes, I also Like Demolition Man, "The Movie with the 3 shells". :D

I really recommend Arnies "Last Action Hero" if you've not seen it yet. It was a big failure in the Cinemas and it has got mixed critics, but it is imho one of the best Schwarzenegger Movies, perfect parody of Action Films. :)

Mars Trap is an OK Sci-Fi from the 80s. It has Bruce Campbell from Evil Dead and Walter Koenig from Star Trek. They are fun as a team :)

Moontrap-poster-1-355x500.jpg

Oh, You're my hero.. I just tried to add it.. its: Moon Trap and its a third movie i would take on deserd island along with the thing + the beyond. Man, Moon Trap is really perfect 80s Sci-fi without any dubts, and most overlooked move ever. There are no DVD release of it because of strange problems with copyright for movie... or maybe because gov't blocked it and didnt want us to know there might be life long time ago on moon.. :)

BTW. If You like Ancient Aliens series, You'll love this movie. Im sure..

]Dude, that most certainly is not the reason. Most notably because those times are over. Geez

that's why its "maybe" and not "for sure" :) . Anyway germany its known that dont like brutal movies and games [eg. Mortal Kombat] and ban them just because they're violent.. this maybe could be the case for this movie..

There are no DVD release of it because of strange problems with copyright for movie...
If there are no DVD releases of it, then how come you showed an image of the DVD cover art? ;) :p

Who said it is original cover art for DVD :) It's from MOONTRAP PROJECT :) . Original movie was NEVER oficially released as DVD because of copyright problems..

back to topic:

And the last one:

Dark Angel / I Come in peace with Dolph Lundgren. Low rating but for me its best film of Dolph and Matthias Hues. Matthias is un-beat-able in this role, has a big gun and raising havoc all over the city. Pure fun with great soundtrack by Jan Hammer [ost was never released as CD/Tape, damn shame..]

Tribute to Dark Angel [do not watch to the end , spoilers..]

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KN1xQGokLE4?feature=oembed

The Thing is another classic.

Sorry Sony read you wrong there, Twilight series I've not seen, those vampire films eh, didn't appeal to me and not given them a chance yet... I didn't think they were poorly rated though, I thought they were hyped as being great films of recent years.

Bit like all the Harry Potter and The Lord Of The Rings films series, I've not seen any of them either

Right, Moon Trap it is!

Aah I remember "I Come in Peace"... I think that also was the only line the bad guy ever spoke. Background story is interesting, AFAIR he harvested human brains for some sort of drug. (...)just watched that trailer, it spoilers the ending and that obvious oneliner before the badguy is killed.

BTW if you like classic movie soundtracks I highly recommend listening to https://intergalactic.fm channel 4 "The Dream Machine"

----------

Here's another one for you consideration. Lowly rated, but heck I love it: Virus

A small ship's crew finds an apparently deserted military science ship dead in the water. If nobody is aboard, they can claim it and make loads of money. So they decide to enter it. They soon find a very nervous survivor and learn that something on that ship is out to kill them.

Here I am again fascinated by the real-world effects and mechanical/bio designs which make the "monsters" dreadful and very effective, there's a thing more badass than the terminator and a Ridley-Scott alien combined :D

LOL I just learned that it's from the producer of Terminator 2 and Aliens XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bI1oa_1WME

Back