Bad News For Psp And Ds First Person Shooter Fans

bast525

Just got this months issue of EGM. And no, I don't care that some of you don't like or agree with them :p :D

They reviewed Coded Arms for PSP... and it's just as I predicted in another thread, it got pretty bad reviews, scoring like 4-6 out of 10 from three reviewers. If there's one thing I guessed from playing it at E3, is that though it is fun, and absolutely gorgeous, it is repetitive, and limited in the number of types of enemies and the enemy AI it presents. This sucks for me as I've been looking forward to this game from day one. And finding out that it WASNT going to force update made it appealing again.

On the other hand, they also got their hands on a nearly complete review copy of Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS. It got an even more horrible preview. They were rating upcoming games from awesome, good, so-so, and terrible, and they gave Hunters a terrible rating.

I know a few of us have debated back and forth (GANEPARK!) that Hunters is indeed supposed to have a true one player campaign, but if there is one, it has yet to show it's face... their preview copy was only deathmatching, either multiplayer or in bots. And the multiplayer is looking to not even be that good, the compared directly to the multiplayer in Metroid Prime 2, which wasn't horrible, but was very limited... apparently it's the same thing here. And it doesnt look like it will support online play, which means you have to find other people with the game to really enjoy it at all.

Funny enough, the Metroid pinball game that I didn't even look twice at at E3, is getting a much better preview than Hunters itself.

Otherwise, it really looks like the DS is going to have the upper hand overall this holiday season, there are many more games previewed for the DS than the PSP, and the PSP games overall got lower preview ratings than the DS games which almost all got good or great previews.

Color me surprised... after such a strong and varied launch, and with the PSP's considerable extra muscle, I still find it hard to believe that the DS just seems to be getting and better while the PSP lineup has grown stagnant.. so much potential squandered. I'm glad I didn't sell my DS afterall, I was very close to doing so.

Well with nothing really looking good on the horizon for the PSP I guess I can just keep enjoying my emu's with no worry of having to update.

Bunch of twats. i wouldnt believe all o that that you see in a review, and of course nintendo are gonna give it a 1 player campaign, infact if you can get a hold of Nintendo Official Magazine, they did an interveiw of the creators and they talked about a campaign mode, especially the story line.

EDIT:

Nintendo Website said:
It’s the battle of the bounty hunters! Join Samus Aran as she goes up against six deadly rivals in a race to claim ancient artefacts that could spell doom for the galaxy. Metroid Prime Hunters transports the pure first-person shooter action of its console cousin to Nintendo DS with pinpoint touch screen control and astonishing 3D graphics.

In single-player mode, use Samus’ high-tech weapons and lightning reflexes to retrieve the relics in a series of intense solo missions, or connect with up to three friends wirelessly and engage in Deathmatch and ‘King of the Hill’-style multiplayer melees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those "intense solo missions" could well be an arena filled with bots with a prize for winning. The prize being a relic.

finty posted on Jul 3 2005 at 10:54 AM said:
Those "intense solo missions" could well be an arena filled with bots with a prize for winning. The prize being a relic.

exactly what it sounds like to me... basically 'capture the flag' or 'king of the hill' kind of stuff with you against bots.

Like I said, I don't care if anyone doesn't agree with EGM... I've been a subscriber for years and have personally found many of their reviews to match up pretty closely with my own tastes, so I trust what they have to say.

As I mentioned last month, even at E3 there was NO single player campaign shown for Metroid, just multiplayer. No one has seen this single player gameplay first hand... kind of odd considering how far along the game is.

And as long as we're quoting interviews I again bring up that interview I read with the guy from Retro Studios where he was asked, quite plainly, if he would like to do a regular Metroid Prime single player game for the DS after working on Hunters... the difference between the two different games was very clearly pointed out, and the guy from Retro said yeah after this game he would like to do a regular single player Prime type game. That kinda tells me THIS game won't have any kind of Prime-styel single player campaign.

Well it's been debated 100 times here honestly i don't care for the debate any more, you guys believe what you want, but I trust EGM and I'm putting my money on the lack of a real single player game with Hunters.

Why Metroid won't be online is just beyond me.

I suspect they could hold it back and give it online play, because as you say I can't see the One-Player mode being anything more than a botmatch.

Mark posted on Jul 3 2005 at 01:19 PM said:
Why Metroid won't be online is just beyond me.

I suspect they could hold it back and give it online play, because as you say I can't see the One-Player mode being anything more than a botmatch.

Old Nintendo stubornness again.

They really should... online play could turn it into a great game, and I can't see how it would even take some great long amount of time to implement it.

I never debated whether Metroid Hunters had a single player. i simply asked u bout it. So therefore i demand my name be wiped from that post. :p. Anyway yeh metroid hunters has had some good previews from wat ive seen. But no online and no single player is stupid. Bring on a REAL metroid prime from Retro Studios.

i don't really like EGM at all, so what they say doesn't bother me much.

anyway, playing coded arms some more last night, the game isn't bad at all. the game has a good atmosphere and not too bad controls, and while it is pretty repetitive, it doesn't deserve a score as low as 4! complete shit games like dynasty warriors get better scores than a 4!
EGM are just a bunch of toys.

No offence, but how can you American's put up with the amount of adverts in your magazines? I've only ever picked up a few, but by God, they must make a fortune.

i'm sure they do. lot of adverts in everything!

and playing the game again, i guess it is fairly crappy. *sigh*

Mark posted on Jul 3 2005 at 03:09 PM said:
No offence, but how can you American's put up with the amount of adverts in your magazines? I've only ever picked up a few, but by God, they must make a fortune.
because they are greedy, it's like $15-20 for an issue and then they have a shit load of ads

DemonStar55 posted on Jul 4 2005 at 12:20 AM said:
because they are greedy, it's like $15-20 for an issue and then they have a shit load of ads

No way; I'm sure it only sed $6 or $7 on the front. I don't know though. Do you live in American or just import the mag?

Mark posted on Jul 3 2005 at 07:49 PM said:
DemonStar55 posted on Jul 4 2005 at 12:20 AM said:

No way; I'm sure it only sed $6 or $7 on the front. I don't know though. Do you live in American or just import the mag?
live

EGM should be $4.99 each issue. Most magazines shouldnt be higher than $10 though.

EGM use to be really good, I don't like it as much anymore but it gives me enough information so I still subscribe to it.

yeah, they don't go any higher than $10, and even then there aren't that many more than $10, except those that come with demo discs or the pc game/hardware mags that are usually too expensive. i'd rather buy a real book.

Not a chance it cost $20.

Did you guys hear about the "new" Nintendo Power? I'm getting three free issues, and the first one will have a HIGH quality trailer of the new Zelda with 5.1 surround sound... Pretty sweet deal for no dollars. B)

Then it'll only cost me $12 for a full year subscription, so I might just have to think about doing that...

What did I say? What the F did I say??

I... don't... CARE... if you like or dislike EGM.

Take the hint, that means keep your comments to yourself :p

And yes, we do get a lot of ads in our magazines here... EGM isn't TOO bad for it, but the few car magazines I subscribe to are freaking HORRIBLE, seems like they are more than half ads.

Junker - funny guy... trashing EGM for giving Coded Arms a bad score, coming back two posts later to say how the game is pretty crap... uh hmmm. Guess EGM are good or right on something huh? What a let down that it sucks though :( I'm probably still gonna buy it because... well.. what else is there to buy for PSP???

EGM goes for $5-6 an issue, or you can subscribe, 12 issues for like $20.

And seriously, who is giving Hunters good previews? What has there really been to preview? So far almost no one seems to have seen any more of the game than what was in the first demo that came with the DS. Once the novelty of the touch screen control scheme wore off, it was okay but not great. It got us all wishing for the same thing, anyways.... a full Prime game. When you look at the demo and think... there's really not going to be much more to the full game then that, it suddenly does seem so great does it?

I'm putting my money on the game sucking and flopping... I've played the multiplayer in Prime 2, and honestly, if you take that and make it a game in and of itself, there just isn't much there, and that really seems like that's what Hunters is shaping up to be.

yeah, i've been known to do that, my bad.
egm still sucks, though :p

and yeah, car mags are the worst

Back