Banned From Using Progs??

taras

Mega Pandora mania
Website
taras.net
Just had a thought (not looking for code or anything) - since each 2X has its own serial number, and you can presumably retrieve it through code, it could be used to "ban" specific people from using your game/utility, if you knew their serial no...

:angry: :D

Just had a thought (not looking for code or anything) - since each 2X has its own serial number, and you can presumably retrieve it through code, it could be used to "ban" specific people from using your game/utility, if you knew their serial no...

:angry: :D
ha!

Edit: Probably. But are you gonna ask them for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
LoL that would be funny but how do you expect to get these certain people's serial anyway. After running the file on your 2X just post the file serial.log and it will help us imporve it :D

It would be more useful for shareware software to use it as a registration key, or for a closed beta to be limited to just a few approved machines.

I bet the serial number is held in firmware somewhere anyway

the coder would have to recompile the program separately for each user though (in the shareware context).

the serial number wouldn't be held in the firmware, because then when you update the firmware it would be overwritten...

the serial number wouldn't be held in the firmware, because then when you update the firmware it would be overwritten...
Well maybe GPH just copy it from the old firmware, I realise that if someone used HH it would wipe it, but this is GPH were talking about ;)

Well maybe GPH just copy it from the old firmware, I realise that if someone used HH it would wipe it, but this is GPH were talking about ;)

The standard practice is too put stuff like that in an I2C chip, usually a small 8pin chip or something.

I did figure, I was being sarcastic.
But seriously how hard would it be to corrupt, if it's just a serial number on it then corrupting it would be enough to change it.
Actually if anything else was on it we could really screw with our units.

I did figure, I was being sarcastic.
But seriously how hard would it be to corrupt, if it's just a serial number on it then corrupting it would be enough to change it.
Actually if anything else was on it we could really screw with our units.

Hell, you wouldn't have to. Once the source for the firmware is released, all you have to do is rewrite the serial number hook in the OS, and you can feed it whatever serial number you want withuot even touching the hardware.

In that case it seems pretty pointless, if they don't hardwire it then it has no anti-piracy uses at all!
I guess hardwiring it for every unit is more expensive, but adding a serial number chip for every unit would be too.

aren't they using easily available parts? it might only be there because the board or chipset they chose to work with came with it as a feature? i dunno.

Back