Basic pack pandora?

Stiino0

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask, since my pandora will be arriving today...

If there is some kind of basic/standard pack that can get me started easily?

Could include things like guides, emulators, some roms,...

Maybe this is the wrong subforum, sorry!

Thanks in advance.

Stiino0

The typical answer is get PND Manager onto your Pandora as soon as possible, you can then sync that with the repository and it'll list almost all software available for the Pandora. You can browse the 'top' category (for highest rated), the newest releases plus search titles, categories etc. It doesn't answer all your questions, but will certainly get you started with a lot of cool stuff!

Next I'd probably have a look at pandoralive.info it has a few articles that list a bunch of favourite software (from the authors point of view), might not be your cup of tea, but I'd recommend grabbing it all to see! This article has a bunch of GL games http://pandoralive.info/?p=1533 and he also has weekly software round up you can easily find.

If you then browse the software section of this forum you'll typically see on the first 2/3 pages a bunch of threads with lots of posts for software releases, with instructions how to run, so grab all of them!

For ROMs, Google really is your friend, it is very rare not to be able to download a ROM by checking the first couple of search results (obviously ensure you are doing things legally yada yada).

EDIT: thatgui before me has the bases covered, but I started this post before this post was sent, excuse the duplicate information!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a SanDisk Extreme Pro card.
I got my cards already! :) Lexar professional 128gb 400x 60MB/s and a 16GB for Androiding :)

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll definitely check everything out, still got a lot to learn but I'll get the hang of it soon since i'll be using it non-stop :) Oh right roms aren't 'allowed' but I indeed meant for testing roms, freeware etc. I'll be using all my old romdumps of actual games. Thanks!

Guess I'll be downloading a hell of a lot of different things later tonight haha! Thanks! I just read all articles about the people who use the Pandora (everyday). I get more and more excited! Can't wait :)

Just one more question for you guys: about something that happens way before we start copying etc:

What format is best for the SD cards? just FAT32? NTFS, others?

I'd say for compatibility reasons FAT32 is the choice,  You can use NTFS if you install the codecpack shown on this page: http://openpandora.org/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199&Itemid=40&lang=en

Also it can handle ExFat that most large SD cards are formatted to, but you need to install this first: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=exfat.wb

of course to install NTFS or ExFAT support You would need to run it off an SDCARD that it can read..
Don't think that would be a problem since I have gotten 2 cards at once :) But I think I will format my cards in FAT32. Unless you recommend Exfat? I will then format one in FAT32 to do the install then format into EXFAT.

What do you recommend? =)

I'd say for compatibility reasons FAT32 is the choice,  You can use NTFS if you install the codecpack shown on this page: http://openpandora.org/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199&Itemid=40&lang=en

Also it can handle ExFat that most large SD cards are formatted to, but you need to install this first: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=exfat.wb

of course to install NTFS or ExFAT support You would need to run it off an SDCARD that it can read..
Don't think that would be a problem since I have gotten 2 cards at once :) But I think I will format my cards in FAT32. Unless you recommend Exfat? I will then format one in FAT32 to do the install then format into EXFAT.

What do you recommend? =)
I recommend ext2, ext3 or ext4 for your main partition. You can add a FAT32 partition in case you need to transfer something to or from a retarded OS, but for my main partition I use ext4. It is nice to have a modern filesystem.

I recommend ext2, ext3 or ext4 for your main partition. You can add a FAT32 partition in case you need to transfer something to or from a retarded OS, but for my main partition I use ext4. It is nice to have a modern filesystem.
I don't use windows at all, but I have a ton of Linux machines.. I still find Fat32 as more convenient when dealing with transferring files quickly from machine to machine. I hate having to mess with permissions on every transaction when dealing with multiple computers. Then trying to figure out why one of my PNDs isn't launching and after a bit of fooling realize a file in the appdata folder somehow changed to a permission that caused it not to be readable. Now this is strictly for a Pandora / PND environment..  I do have an EXT4 formatted SD card used for development, compiling and stuff..

I don't use windows at all, but I have a ton of Linux machines.. I still find Fat32 as more convenient when dealing with transferring files quickly from machine to machine. I hate having to mess with permissions on every transaction when dealing with multiple computers. Then trying to figure out why one of my PNDs isn't launching and after a bit of fooling realize a file in the appdata folder somehow changed to a permission that caused it not to be readable. Now this is strictly for a Pandora / PND environment..  I do have an EXT4 formatted SD card used for development, compiling and stuff..
Since I won't be using it for development, compiling etc. I think I will be using just the standard FAT32. Files won't be larger than 4GB so I think I'll stick to the good ol' formatting :) unless someone here can convince me :D

^ Is corruption resistance likely to matter?

(As far as I'm aware) ext3 and ext4 are harder to corrupt than fat32.

Back