Battery battery?

ZetaNeta

I dont really know what size Pyras battery will be, and never had a pandora, but still, listen up:

Maybe we should make a "Dummy DC-DC battery" which accepts AA (AAA if the battery is small) inside?

What do you do when you battery runs out of power? See any electricity sockets? NO.

See any shops? Yes. Do they got batteries? Most probably.

This way, you can just carry a secondary battery which is actually a DC-DC converter, and once you need it, you just put some batteries in it.

Batteries are small, low cost, low weight power elements! Why not to use their potential?

Even with converter loss, 8 AAAs will provide 10.5v, which will keep Pyra running for quite a while. What to say if we will get AA there :3

If you wanna a long walk, you just take a bucket (dont let the terminals touch) of AAAs and go XD

I think, that the users of this "dirty solution" will not be upset that the battery will weight "quite much" and probably have to get out of the pyra a tiny bit to fit the batteries.

"Clean" users may sponsor the ED by buying normal batteries.

Most people like the idea of instant Money>Electricity transformation.

About the nature part of the story.... Well, we are sorry.

(ZetaNeta just wants a battery, from which he can take everything, and plug a 12v 45Ah battery to. But who says others cant benefit from this?)

The Pandora has a 3.7V 4200mAh LIPO battery that can keep the Pandora running 10 Hours of continuous work, as in gaming, web browsing what not.. Most of the time when I just need to do simple quick web browsing tasks for a few minutes at a time I've actually gone an entire week without charging.  Even a AAA battery is thicker height wise than the Pandora Battery which may end up in the Pyra. 

A typical AAA battery only has about 900mAh, You would need to have a 3x5 array of AAA batteries to provide a similar voltage and battery life as the Pandora's current thinner rechargable battery. so where exactly do you want to put 15 batteries in something the size of the Pandora? would you want to buy 15 batteries every time the batteries die?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora has a 3.7V 4200mAh LIPO battery that can keep the Pandora running 10 Hours of continuous work, as in gaming, web browsing what not.. Most of the time when I just need to do simple quick web browsing tasks for a few minutes at a time I've actually gone an entire week without charging.  Even a AAA battery is thicker height wise than the Pandora Battery which may end up in the Pyra. 

a typical AAA battery only has about 900mAh, You would need to have a 3x5 array of AAA batteries to provide a similar voltage and battery life as the Pandora's current thinner rechargable battery. so where exactly do you want to put 15 batteries in something the size of the Pandora? would you want to buy 15 batteries every time the batteries die?
Well... According to Wikipedia and my TV remote, a normal AAA should be worth 1200mAh usually.

Similar voltage? 3.7 is less than 3 AAA batteries. I know that the capacity will drop even further...

Replacing it for example with few AAs (Typically ~2000mAh), or a 9v battery (1200mAh, but ~x2.5 times more voltage, meaning 3000mAh excluding conv. loss).

I would prefer to carry 2-3 9v in this situation, even if the battery shape will be different.

For some people, 10 hours may be not always enough, especially if they cant imagine their lifes without overclocking every device they pass. (Like me, especially with ARM)

My MP3 also stands 2 days of working without a single breath, yet, it shows no charge when i "really need it".

Also, if we are not taking this idea, it would be wise to do a "standalone" charger for batteries.

Its a pain in the *ss to charge 5 X-type Sony batteries for my AS30V every night.

Actually, as long as the battery doesnt use "smartass" interfaces, it should be possible for a user to modify a normal one to do what he wants.

So... i guess the topic may be closed.

Well... According to Wikipedia and my TV remote, a normal AAA should be worth 1200mAh usually.
At optimal situations. which most batteries don't provide it. 

Similar voltage? 3.7 is less than 3 AAA batteries. I know that the capacity will drop even further...
Yes, but 2 AA in series wouldn't provide enough.. only 3V, with a possibility of dipping much lower when the cells start to die.  Not to mention I was talking about comparable to the actual battery if you want to use the charging plug it's 5V so even 3 in series wouldn't be enough for proper operation. Not to mention you would still need at least 5 of those 3-4 cells in series to provide the same capacity.

Replacing it for example with few AAs (Typically ~2000mAh), or a 9v battery (1200mAh, but ~x2.5 times more voltage, meaning 3000mAh excluding conv. loss).

Here you go talking about voltage wrong again.. you would need to put the batteries in parallel to get increase capacity, when put in parallel the voltage would be the same. putting them in series (increasing the voltage) does not provide additional mAh capacity.  Here is nice article that can explain it: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/serial_and_parallel_battery_configurations

AA's would make the battery compartment bigger and increase waste to the environment. Cheaper / more efficient to use one big lithium polymer battery 

We should find an institution or company that is working on a research on Graphene and see if we could invest on their project and as an exchange they let the Pandora/Pyra company produce batteries using their tech (haha)

we could find creative way to make money for that. We could start by a donation section for that (not very creative, i know) ...I have better ideas though.  I like dreaming while I'm awake you know?

I dont really know what size Pyras battery will be, and never had a pandora, but still, listen up:
Read the title, read about this far and quit reading. Skimmed over everything else that was said, looks like a joke post.

Can I have my 4 seconds back including the time it took to post this which was actually more time than I took to read?

Also, they make small rechargeable batter boxes that plug into a mini or micro USB charging port.  I'm sure one of these would work for the Pyra, as it also works in a pinch for my Pandora, at least giving it an extra 25 to 30 percent charge.

usually there a more solutions

1. take 4 recharcheable AA with about 2500mAh giving about 5,5V when full and connect to DC in (already tested) ; load separately

2. use higher voltage and take a switch mode module to 5V (eg   12 to 5) and also go DC in (also tested)

9V Block is not good because the capacity is too low ( recharchable about 120mAh)

I'd probably just go into a pub and borrow a plug socket, or charge off someones laptop if I'm with anyone.

I'd not likely buy batteries to run it till my next charge, I'm guessing that would be costly. Batteries aren't cheap and especially if you want to get decent ones which for something with an LCD screen like Pyra, you'd probably need to

Honestly, just buy a second battery when you get your Pyra.
That.

I have 2 Pandoras and 3 batteries,

Don't need more.

I'll charge my main Pandora every night and that's all I need.

Never needed a second battery.

I dislike the AAA batteries.

Round batteries always waste space in a housing like the Pyra will use.

usually there a more solutions

1. take 4 recharcheable AA with about 2500mAh giving about 5,5V when full and connect to DC in (already tested) ; load separately

2. use higher voltage and take a switch mode module to 5V (eg   12 to 5) and also go DC in (also tested)

9V Block is not good because the capacity is too low ( recharchable about 120mAh)
Planning this around rechargeable batteries mostly defeats the point, IMO. Unless you want to spend substantially more buying NiMH batteries instead of alkalines. If you're separately charging and carrying batteries to begin with you'd may as well separately carry and charge an extra Pyra battery. Also not sure what you're using that lets you maintain 5.5V through much of discharge, you'd more likely be under 5V (although still enough to power a Pyra)

However, alkalines have a big problem, they're very load sensitive. A heavy load will kill the effective capacity. This is why they wouldn't even last an hour on GP2X.

The GP2X was AA battery powered, and that worked works( no problem finding replacement batteries here!) quite well with rechargeables..maybe its not practical for a pandora-like handheld though..

At optimal situations. which most batteries don't provide it. 

Yes, but 2 AA in series wouldn't provide enough.. only 3V, with a possibility of dipping much lower when the cells start to die.  Not to mention I was talking about comparable to the actual battery if you want to use the charging plug it's 5V so even 3 in series wouldn't be enough for proper operation. Not to mention you would still need at least 5 of those 3-4 cells in series to provide the same capacity.

Here you go talking about voltage wrong again.. you would need to put the batteries in parallel to get increase capacity, when put in parallel the voltage would be the same. putting them in series (increasing the voltage) does not provide additional mAh capacity.  Here is nice article that can explain it: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/serial_and_parallel_battery_configurations
my tv remote should be powerful then :3
Yeah, now i fully realize that coding on esoteric languages, ricing my gentoo and smoking cotton disks affects my language (Both native and english), ability to describe thoughts, physics knowledge, relations, sexual orientation and electricity bills. (And probably not only that)

Yep, sorry, forgot bout that :p

Well, i think this idea came to me just because i am used to carry a 45Ah car battery in my backpack every day, and wont mind my pyra being few kg heavier for "few days" charge.|

Anyway, i can power the pyra from the battery anyway... but this way, i guess i will need to upgrade to at least 60Ah.

Read the title, read about this far and quit reading. Skimmed over everything else that was said, looks like a joke post.

Can I have my 4 seconds back including the time it took to post this which was actually more time than I took to read?
NO REFUNDS
Also, they make small rechargeable batter boxes that plug into a mini or micro USB charging port.  I'm sure one of these would work for the Pyra, as it also works in a pinch for my Pandora, at least giving it an extra 25 to 30 percent charge.
Do you like carrying it connected to the back all the time?We already figured out that this is not the best solution.

I have been telling people to devise a nuclear-powered battery for the Pyra so we don't need to charge ever :p
Thorium. Works, but not used because the byproduct can not be used to create atomic bombs, so it had no use.

I have been telling people to devise a nuclear-powered battery for the Pyra so we don't need to charge ever :p
Thorium. Works, but not used because the byproduct can not be used to create atomic bombs, so it had no use.
Crap... i didnt want to tell "before patenting", but i had a project of using tritium in portable electronics.

In final, i reinvented a optoelectric nuclear battery XD

Back