Battery Cover!

SlackwareLinux

Still Fresh
Website
slackwarelinux.livejournal.com
I just got my GP2X in the mail, and I looked at the package, unpackaged it, and I realized how small the box is :D That is the best box. Ever.

Then, after a few minutes of gazing at awe at the box, I opened the package. I took out the GP2X, and checked for any obvious problems. I found none, so I proceeded to take off the battery cover so I could put in some nice NiMH batteries, but I could not get it off :blink:

I hurt my finger picking at the battery cover, and after five minutes of trying I reached the conclusion that it was glued on... :eek:

Is it really glued, or am I just to chicken to apply enough force?

Oh my... are you that weak ;)

You have to use your complete right or left hand to open it not just your fingers.

I love the quality all arround with the hardware, it all feels solid and valuable.

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 3 2005 at 05:57 PM said:
Oh my... are you that weak ;)

No, I am just being very gentle with my new baby :D.
I am even going to apply the screen protector in a room that has been steamed out to protect it from dust. :D

Edit: I got it, although I did dent up a nail in the process :unsure:.

Last edited by a moderator:
come on guys. it IS possible he has a defective unit. unlikely that it would be glued on, but you really never know. remember, we have had cases of the headphone plug falling in the unit ;)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 4 2005 at 02:00 AM said:
come on guys. it IS possible he has a defective unit. unlikely that it would be glued on, but you really never know. remember, we have had cases of the headphone plug falling in the unit ;)

I never ever heard of a defective battery cover :lol:

SlackwareLinux: make sure to turn your gp2x ON when adding the hard protector! So you can see any types of dust before your put it on, cause you won't get it off again...

fracking bloody hell!

I turned it on, it went for a few seconds and displayed the loading screen.

Then, the screen flickered like crazy and it shut off making a weird noise.

I tried to turn it on again and the screen is filled with multicolored lines and does not load. It bricked itself on the first bloody boot.

Ok, I tried the included batteries and it worked fine. :D

SlackwareLinux posted on Dec 4 2005 at 02:05 AM said:
fracking bloody hell!

I turned it on, it went for a few seconds and displayed the loading screen.

Then, the screen flickered like crazy and it shut off making a weird noise.

I tried to turn it on again and the screen is filled with multicolored lines and does not load. It bricked itself on the first bloody boot.

LOL no...

Just use accurate batteries! The GP2x does funny things when the power runs low. :D

Ok.. I keep threadjacking myself, but I have run into another problem, and I want to know if anyone else is having it.

When I press right on the joystick, it registers as up-right. Is this normal? I also hear a distinct clicking noise when going right, which I do not hear any other direction.

SlackwareLinux posted on Dec 4 2005 at 02:16 AM said:
Ok.. I keep threadjacking myself, but I have run into another problem, and I want to know if anyone else is having it.

When I press right on the joystick, it registers as up-right. Is this normal? I also hear a distinct clicking noise when going right, which I do not hear any other direction.

It's a firmware problem. However you will notice some emulators and homebrew games are running quite accurate! Try Frodo the C64 Emulator and you will be surprised how accurate the stick can be...

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 3 2005 at 06:18 PM said:
It's a firmware problem.

That seems like a really weird firmware problem, but I think you are right.
I loaded up LinesX (Thanks NK!) and all the diagonals and directions worked just fine.

TileMatch still has issues though, I am going to have problems convincing myself that it is firmware related.

Really.. really.. weird firmware.

Edit: Is the flickering firmware also?

Ok, one last comment....

I updated the firmware and tried some different homebrew software and the test utility, and the joystick is still having problems registering right movement. I am having a really hard time convincing myself that this is a firmware issue, as much as I would like to pull a hat over my eyes and start singing happy music, it would still be sitting in the back of my head.

Is this problem widespread? If it is not a replacement GP2x would fix the problem, right? I am considering returning the unit if it is not fixable, I did not spend $200 for a gaming system that can't effectively play games..

Have you tried pulling the top of the joystick up a few millimetres, Hold it between you thumb and finger and give it a little twist clockwise and anti-clockwise and pull up on it a little, Any better ?.

Trooper

trooper posted on Dec 4 2005 at 01:12 AM said:
Have you tried pulling the top of the joystick up a few millimetres, Hold it between you thumb and finger and give it a little twist clockwise and anti-clockwise and pull up on it a little, Any better ?.

Trooper

No. I tried that and it did not improve the problem. (I even removed the stick entirely, and that did not solve the problem.)

The weird thing is that I don't have any problems going any other direction...

Ok, I just did a test on the joystick, and there really is something weird going on.

I moved the joystick to the left and to the right 150 times each, and recorded the results. The test was done in "T Mode"

When I moved to the left, it was detected in the correct all 150 times.
When I moved to the right had the following:
-13 non-responses
-10 diagonals (it recorded as up-right)
-127 correct responses

I alternated between the two in groups of five, so it was not just my fingers getting tired near the end :D.

I have tried the screw trick, and that does not work.
Something fishy is really happening :huh: .. I don't see how this could be a firmware issue, as one side of the joystick is working just fine.

The GP2x is working great otherwise, but the joystick issues make me want to return it.. <_<

Also, the reason why the Joystick works better in some homebrew games (emulators) is that I think they count diagonals as right or left, so that gets rid of half the errors.

I would seriously consider you unit a problem personally. I dont think I've heard this specific issue being linked to the firmware yet. Unresponsive right/left I understand, the dead zone I understand but you;re sounds too specific to me the way you discribe it.

Personally i dont have any problem other than the big dead zone. all my directions register properly in the T-mode.

Alpha2 posted on Dec 4 2005 at 08:51 PM said:
I would seriously consider you unit a problem personally. I dont think I've heard this specific issue being linked to the firmware yet. Unresponsive right/left I understand, the dead zone I understand but you;re sounds too specific to me the way you discribe it.

Personally i dont have any problem other than the big dead zone. all my directions register properly in the T-mode.

Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear.
So there are units that function correctly in T-mode, so that means its a hardware problem. I will talk to the distributor.

Back