Battery Life

Deaths Shepherd

Still Fresh
Hi, i've just brought a GP2X and i heard that the battery life is supposed to be roughly about 10 hours, did i hear wrong? i'm buying good quality batteries but they only seem to last about an hour... And i'm not asking for better solution like rechargable batteries, i'm just wondering how long the battery life really is. Oh and i mainly only play NES games.

Normal alkaline (even a good brand) will not last very long in the gp2x, you need high capacity, rechargeable Ni-MH's. (around 2500mAh should be good) - these will last from between 3 to 5 hours, depending on your usage. I've never heard of a gp2x lasting 10 hours though. (not without modding)

The battery time you hear on these boards, and mostly elsewhere, is all based on rechargable nimh batteries, as alkaline (normal) batteries are not suitable for use in the gp2x. I think the general maximum people get is up to 5 hours. Overclocking will reduce this. However, 10hrs maybe possible underclocking, playing mp3s with the screen off.

Where did you hear 10hrs? Buy 4 NIMH AA's then you'll get 10hrs, that's what everybody else does ;)

yodaofborg said:
Normal alkaline (even a good brand) will not last very long in the gp2x, you need high capacity, rechargeable Ni-MH's. (around 2500mAh should be good) - these will last from between 3 to 5 hours, depending on your usage. I've never heard of a gp2x lasting 10 hours though. (not without modding)
Thanks, oh my mistake it says 8 hours not 10...

Last edited by a moderator:
Station said:
Thanks, oh my mistake it says 8 hours not 10...
what does? (again)

the official gph website states 3.5hrs video, 6hrs mp3.
gbax.com says 5hrs.

yea that's strange 8 hrs man I rarely get more than 4 and thats with 2650mah...

I saw it on the net somewhere not sure where exactly, which i know isn't very useful... They where probably talking about, how long it'd last without any applications open, with a certain set of batteries.

When i use fully charged batteries (i forgot the name) The little battery icon at the to right, has all the bars, and in 20 seconds, its half down, but it still lasts for a LONG time....i wonder if thats right...

FatalFart said:
When i use fully charged batteries (i forgot the name) The little battery icon at the to right, has all the bars, and in 20 seconds, its half down, but it still lasts for a LONG time....i wonder if thats right...
Voltage level can vary between brands of batteries, but overall NiMH batteries stay very steady over the duration of their discharge, then drop like a brick at the end. It's difficult for a device to measure estimated remaining runtime halfway through.

Back