Battery Low Light Won't Come On

Ryan2065

Still Fresh
So any ideas why this would happen? I've had the GPX now about 2 weeks and its never come on... Does each program control that light or is it done by the firmware?

I checked the battery status through the firmware and it said empty and then I decided to start up the psx emulator and watch the final fantasy 2 intro movie until the batteries went... 5 minutes later they died and no battery light ever turned on.

The power light stays on and the "I'm thinking" light comes on every now and then so those lights do work...

So what do you guys think? If it could be a firmware thing I can re-flash the firmware (currently have 2.1.1)...

My battery indicator light usually comes on, but it gives me less than a minute warning before the batteries die. I've had occassions where it doesn't come on, too.

And what the heck's the "I'm thinking" light?

shinneri posted on Dec 5 2006 at 09:46 PM said:
My battery indicator light usually comes on, but it gives me less than a minute warning before the batteries die. I've had occassions where it doesn't come on, too.

VICE uses it to simulate disc access :)

Oh, and Gmenu2X uses it to confirm changes to links and such, launching apps, etc ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah... I was overclocking to 280 mhz when it ended up dieing so that might have something to do with it... And for the most part I'm not looking at the gp2x when it does end up dieing. I do phone support at my work and inbetween calls I play... Most the time the battery dies when I'm on the phone so I don't see it happen.

The light next to the battery light. Er... what TelcoLou said. It always seems to come on when the gp2x is "thinking".

The battery light is controlled at program level, not at firmware level. This means that every program should check for the battery status and turn on that light when the level is low. This translates in a loss of performance in games and emulators so no one does it.

It should have been controlled at hardware level to be useful IMHO

Ryo posted on Dec 6 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
The battery light is controlled at program level, not at firmware level. This means that every program should check for the battery status and turn on that light when the level is low. This translates in a loss of performance in games and emulators so no one does it.

It should have been controlled at hardware level to be useful IMHO
never knew that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back