Battery Problems

rcave

Still Fresh
Hello All,
I am new to the forums. I just received my GP2X today! I discovered that the brand new fully charged AccuPower ACCU Digital Power NiMH 2900mAh batteries do not work with my GP2X. It will not power on. I have 2500mAh Energizers, 2300 mAh Powerex, and alkalines, and they all work just fine. The Accupowers work in my digital camera but not the GP2X. Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone use AccuPower rechargeables? Thanks.

Chazo posted on Sep 6 2006 at 10:50 AM said:
Hello All,
I am new to the forums. I just received my GP2X today! I discovered that the brand new fully charged AccuPower ACCU Digital Power NiMH 2900mAh batteries do not work with my GP2X. It will not power on. I have 2500mAh Energizers, 2300 mAh Powerex, and alkalines, and they all work just fine. The Accupowers work in my digital camera but not the GP2X. Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone use AccuPower rechargeables? Thanks.
I had this problem with one kind of batteries too!
I found out that you just have to place them in the battery compartment and turn them abit till they work.
Not really a great solution :p.

And no, cleaning both battery and battery compartment contacts didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have these exact same batteries. It seems that the little nub on the Positive side is shorter than a normal battery and it can't reach the terminal on the GP2X.

To fix it I took a Dremmel and ground off most of the plastic around the GP2X terminals. The work perfectly now. (if you don't have a Dremmel I'm sure you can shave some plastic off with a knife or something)

Thanks for the help. Well rolling them around did not work. Maybe I will take a Dremel to it when it gets a little older. Not ready to mar up my new baby. :)

BTW do you like those Accupower batteries? Is the performance what you expect out of a 2900mAh battery?

Well, I haven't tried any kind of benchmarking on them, so I can't say anything productive about how good they are (I've only had my GP2X for like a week).

An other method you could try would be to add something to the tips to make them longer, but I'm not sure how well that would work out, it would have to be attached pretty firmly. I guess you could try jamming folded up aluminum foil in between the two contacts, but I would hate to have to do that every time I change my batteries out. So I guess if there was room you could tape the foil to the end of the batteries...... (never tired it, but it could possibly work)

I hope you can get something to work.

Back