Battery Time

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I just did a small test with my gp2x yesterday.

Stopped the time it runs with 2 Ansmann 2600mAH Photo rechargeables.

Worked exactly 4:54 hours (btw: without a single crash, as I didn't use the movieplayer, just Frodo. The hardware stable).

Anymore moaning about battery time now? :)

Wow, If I get that much time out of my gp2x I will be more than satisfied :)

Edit: so this would be a good buy then?
2400.jpg

ED: Maybe you should offer some good batteries in your shop ;)

I think the problem people are having is when they use alkaline batteries. I put in a pair of Durcell ultra batteries when I first got my GP2X and they only lasted about 1 hour before I couldnt get a movie to start anymore. :huh:

Sounds like its jsut the movie player having problems then (i guess due to the TV out leak). It seems to me that when in this mode the gp2x is trying to draw to much power from the batteries, as often videos will freeze if you turn up the volume.

So it seems that the GP2X uses, on average, 500ma. So heavy duty batteries should last longer, as they can provide larger amount of current for a longer period. Being "photo" batteries, this is probably exactly what they are.

Other batteries could die, even with a higher 'ma' rating, if they can't provide the power requirements consistantly - you may find that dead batteries may work again after leaving them to "recover" (such as overnight).

Then again, I may be talking complete crap :)

:D I love Ansmann rechargables,

Since I upgraded digital cameras to an SLR style camera I have been using Ansmann and they rock!!

I have the DigiSpeed4 charger, that usually comes package with 4 batteries. The charge time is between 1.5 and 2 hours and it has indicator lights showing when the batteries have reached there charge and it has a cooling fan built in. I have 8 in rotation for my camera and 8 for my GP32, I am paranoid about not having fresh batteries, but I know I shouldn't worry really. :p

On my GP32, 2500mah rated Ansmann go on for hours on end, never timed it but I would certainly say more than 5 hours, almost 6 hours @ 166mhz.

So in a round about way what I am saying is that these are damned good batteries!! :D

Been trying to find an ansmann digispeed 4 charger here in Sweden but no luck :(
With swedish prices it would probably be too expensive anyway...probably why they don't even try selling it <_<

I ordered some Tamiya 2800mah batteries, they are for use in RC cars so hopefully theyll do the job. I'll be sure to post results when i get my GP2X (ordered 27 Oct so i might be waiting till december, which im not really bothered about since i have a 2gb SD card and im going to have to wait for an upgraded SD driver).

Been trying to find an ansmann digispeed 4 charger here in Sweden but no luck :(
With swedish prices it would probably be too expensive anyway...probably why they don't even try selling it <_<

I think it's fair to say that so long as you buy NiMH rechargable batteries at a rating of 2500mah and above you are going to get comparable results. Try your local camera shops and see what they have, ask them what they use personally and then make your choice. :)

I ordered some Tamiya 2800mah batteries, they are for use in RC cars so hopefully theyll do the job. I'll be sure to post results when i get my GP2X (ordered 27 Oct so i might be waiting till december, which im not really bothered about since i have a 2gb SD card and im going to have to wait for an upgraded SD driver).

Wow 2800mah! I would sure would be interested to find out how long you get on those, just a pity you haven't got your GP2X in hand. Still I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get yours before the months out. :)

P.S. And mine too! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
So it seems that the GP2X uses, on average, 500ma. So heavy duty batteries should last longer, as they can provide larger amount of current for a longer period. Being "photo" batteries, this is probably exactly what they are.

Other batteries could die, even with a higher 'ma' rating, if they can't provide the power requirements consistantly - you may find that dead batteries may work again after leaving them to "recover" (such as overnight).

Then again, I may be talking complete crap :)

That's exactly the reasons.
The Photo batteries keep up the voltage until they die, most other batteries' voltage drains as the power drains.
If the voltage is too low, the gp2x won't work anymore.

Last edited:
i received my 2800 mah one week ago and still waiting my gp2x ( i hope for this week) as soon i tested my batterie i will post here how long they hold.

What's a good online shop to buy Ansmann batteries/charger that ships internationally?

Trying to find a good shop too but so far no luck. Well the batteries can be found (ebay shops/german online shops) but the shipping is insane. I refuse to pay over 20 euro for shipping a couple of batteries from germany to sweden :(

So im going to have to buy some MORE batteries now?
Is it possible for a firmware update to fix this problem, its ridiculous. :angry:

Seeing as we're on the topic of batteries, are nama any good? I think they're a german brand.

Back