Be Careful Screwing!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Damn.

I just had the idea, exchanging my old GP32 Non-Lit case (painted in nice black) with my new GP32 BLU case.

Didn't have any problems, was extra careful... worked out fine.
Took me about 2 hours (mainly for placing the BLU screen correctly in the middle)

BUT... now, half an hour later, the LCD screen broke...
Looks like I turned some case screws too tight :(

Sooo... if you EVER want to change something in your BLU, DON'T tighten the screws too much.

Damn. Damn. Damn. My nice BLU :(

Just another question, before I consider buying a new one at Lik-Sang:

Does anybody have a broken BLU with an intact LCD?
Or does anybody have any idea where to get a new screen?

Thanks for your help.

You can also help me buy a new one by clicking on the sponsor banners while downloading from my GP32x File Archive. This will get me some money... not enough for a new BLU, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks.

I'm really sorry to hear that... bad things seem to happen to good people..I hope you can get a new one soon...you add a lot to the board and the site in general.

this might be stupid since i dont' know anything about this, but if the blu is back lit, the light should be behind the lcd, so wouldn't your non lit GP32 LCD work?

pAiN posted on Dec 4 2004 at 05:06 AM said:
this might be stupid since i dont' know anything about this, but if the blu is back lit, the light should be behind the lcd, so wouldn't your non lit GP32 LCD work?

Unfortunately not.
Every LCD Display has a different driver to work, the light is implemented IN the display, impossible to change that.

BUT... I already have some news:

Thanks to craig, I know that the display is from Samsung.
The display can be plugged off the GP32 mainboard, no problem changing it.

The display model no. (written on the back of the display) can be found at Samsung's product site - it's definately the right one
(Back lit, 65000 colors, 320x200 resolution).

I also found out that a Samsung LCD Display distributor sits about 30 km away from me - I may get help from there :)
And Samsung itself has a headquarter about 20 km away from my place.

I already checked, they both don't support consumer electronics, but the TFT LCD Modules only, they they really might be able to help :)

I'll keep you informed. :)

Last edited:
GPJosh posted on Dec 4 2004 at 04:13 AM said:
nerd of nerds posted on Dec 3 2004 at 10:04 PM said:
Be Careful Screwing!

yeah, you might get AIDS :p
Lol, double meanings. :rolleyes:
HA! If only I had of been told this sooner!

note: PinkSpider does not have AIDS, probably.

edit: Good luck ED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah posted on Dec 4 2004 at 05:37 AM said:
That'd be a great resource for anyone.

Aaaand another information:

Craig asked me to tell him the price for replacement screens, if I manage to get any.

I THINK he'll want to offer them or replace broken screens, too :)
(he didn't tell me that, don't mark my words, if he won't!)

If he will do that, that'll be great :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Dec 3 2004 at 11:13 PM said:
The display model no. (written on the back of the display) can be found at Samsung's product site - it's definately the right one
(Back lit, 65000 colors, 320x200 resolution).

Umm, this might have just been a typo, but the GP32 screen resolution is 320x240.

If the one Samsung has IS 40 pixels short per screen, that will seriously hamper some of the homebrew if you have to replace it with that one. Hoping it IS just a typo.

EvilDragon posted on Dec 4 2004 at 04:13 AM said:
I also found out that a Samsung LCD Display distributor sits about 30 km away from me - I may get help from there :)
And Samsung itself has a headquarter about 20 km away from my place.

I already checked, they both don't support consumer electronics, but the TFT LCD Modules only, they they really might be able to help :)

I'll keep you informed. :)
Lucky bastard :lol: , I hope you can get a few :D

Some update:

You can buy the screen at some electronic store... but it costs 311 Euro... bit too expensive.
I really can just talk to the mass production company and hope they are nice and sell me one for cheap :)

it will probably work out cheaper getting a new BLU from Lik Sang :). Then you can sell your damaged BLU.

Yeah... GP32 BLU with RF-Link and Dungeon and Guarder SMC costs 133 Euro at the moment...

Maybe I should buy a few hundred GP32 BLU, rip out the LCD and sell it for 300 Euro each ;)

GamePark will be happy earning money, I will be happy earning money... hehe ;)

It's pretty nice fiddling around with a broken LCD :)

I just removed the TFT - now only the Back Light is left and still working fine.
It's a nice Blueish shining light :)

And you can look at the TFT through from the back ;)

Sorry to hear this news :(

I clicked about 50 banner ads ... hope it helps ;)

Back