Been loosely following Pandora for a long time

risho

Still Fresh
Hopefully this is in the right board.

I started following Pandora back before it had started shipping its first device. I was very excited about it and it filled a niche I was very interested in. Unfortunately at the time I was fresh out of highschool and didn't have any money to throw around. Since then I've been following it very loosely off and on. It's always been something I've been interested in getting (I actually wound up getting an xperia play and unlocking it and flashing cfw so I could use it for a similar purpose.). As time dragged on the device started to get a bit older and longer in the tooth. I noticed all of the issues with shipping and meeting demands.

I've actually become a bit of a serial hacker/tinker. All of my devices that I own are unlocked to the best of their ability. All of my android devices have custom firmware with unlocked bootloaders. My ps3 has had cfw installed and ran linux on it multiple times. My 360 is jtagged and has also run linux at multiple times (probably spent more time running linux on those machines that actually playing games). After a while I got to thinking: Why am I going out of my way to support these garbage companies that clearly don't respect my freedom or my privacy when I could just stop using them and support those that do, and that leads me to today.

Today I read about how you guys are starting a new project with new hardware and let me say that I am very excited and fully intend to buy one when it becomes avaliable. A device designed to be open and hackable with a community to support it. Seems awesome, and I hope it all works out.

The thing is addicting and I cannot figure out why. :unsure:   :wacko:   :blink:

Yeah.  I have loads of other gadgets, gaming consoles, but I keep on coming back to the Pandora.  It is just so convenient everywhere for almost anything I want to do daily.

My 3DS is still collecting dust and I sold my Caanoo thanks to OpenPandora.

My Notebook or Netbook will be the next to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Pandora is really the nicest little Linux machine in the house (and I have a few big ones too).  I love the nubs!  The keys - while quirky - are the good quirky!  Battery-life: pleasant!  Performance .. well, I'm old so I don't need speed, I'll make the thing run anyway is my point of view.. but my two first-batch devices still clock up to 1ghz for little game/compile sessions just fine, and .. its pleasant.

{Only thing: the RAM.  Please ED, don't skip out on the opportunity to put as much RAM onboard as the CPU can actually physically take.  I.e. stuff it to the Gills.  It'll make everything else a lot easier.}

I agree that as much RAM as possible is a good thing. In the FOSDEM talk he mentions 2 GB. I can imagine there may be wishes for more.

If more RAM means a significant price difference, perhaps look into the possibility of offering two options with different RAM sizes.

There are after all a bunch of pretty vocal price constrained customers waiting to buy as soon as they can afford one.

Back