Best 3d Mesh File With Keyframe

habib15

Still Fresh
Hi all,

What do you think the best file format would be for this:

I want to animate an entire cut scene in Blender and export it to be played in my OGLES 2.0 display engine on the OMAP.

I want it actually rendered instead of creating an avi file and playing that, so just wondering what would be a good file format that has good documentation so I can write a file importer into my engine.

Thanks

Kevin

If you are using blender for the 3d models, you could allways write an exporter to your own format. Its quite easy actually.

Dunno really what would be a good 3d model format with keyframes, md2 is one very common format (as you probably know) but it has its restrictions which can be somewhat annoying.

That really sounds like the sort of thing you should be doing in a scripting tool / level editor, not in a separate 3d animation package.

It's fine to use Blender for pre-rendered cutscenes, but if you're going to render something in realtime, shouldn't you just use the engine's regular model formats and a script?

lulzfish said:
That really sounds like the sort of thing you should be doing in a scripting tool / level editor, not in a separate 3d animation package.

It's fine to use Blender for pre-rendered cutscenes, but if you're going to render something in realtime, shouldn't you just use the engine's regular model formats and a script?
animation is often created in a modelling package (just like meshes). and you still need to get those modeller-created animations somehow to your engine. you have two options:

a) through a standartized exchange format, regadless whether natively supported by the modelling package, or through a plugin, potentially with a standard library for reading it at your end
b) through a proprietary format to your liking (i.e. native to your engine), in which case you need your own plugin for the modelling package.

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:

That would be great if I had time to create a full fledged engine with scripting, but this is for a tech demonstration to convince higher ups that this is a platform we should be using.

Collada looks like what I was thinking, any libraries out there that already parse it?

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back