Best Atari ST games

kraahl

I tried playing Civilization (one of my all time favourite games) but it felt akward since you have to constantly switch modes and the lack of a keyboard is crippling.
Since I´ve never used a real Atari ST I wonder what games to play.
Which are your favourites, and do they play well with CaSTaway?

I think Civ plays okay in Castaway.. the keyboard is there when you need it, but most of the time you can get by with cursor and mouse mode (and toggle them back and forth with the right-shoulder). Cursor to move guys around, and mouse to do stuff.. *shrug* :)

Dungeon Master is *classic* but you'll need to wait 2mins to get into the game the first time..

Bubble Bobble (the ST version) is one of the best ports of it ever

Xenon 2: Megablast *wicked* shooter
Xenon - also good

Theres a billion great ST games :)

jeff

The Sentinel - well, at least I am consistent with what I review.
Captive - only the Superior 155 version works correctly. much better thatn dungeon master in my opinion.
airball
Amberstar
Archipelagos
BAT
Bubble ghost
Bumpy
Cadaver (I still haven't found a working version, but I eventually will - this game has to work...)
All the Incentive games (castle master, driller, total eclipse, darkside...)
Dungeon master & Chaos strikes back
Elvira 1 & 2
Flood (unfortunately, the screen is extremely dark, even after raising the brightness)
Gods
Head over heels
Krypton egg
Lords of chaos
Mortville manor
Rick dangerous 1 & 2 (these games are freaking hard !)
Rock & roll
Speedball
Super skweek
Xenon 2

There are so many great games, it's kind of hard to make a decent list, but that should a good selection.

People! There are a million and one topics like this, check the CaStaway folder.

matt

skeezix posted on Jul 21 2003 said:
I think Civ plays okay in Castaway.. the keyboard is there when you need it, but most of the time you can get by with cursor and mouse mode (and toggle them back and forth with the right-shoulder). Cursor to move guys around, and mouse to do stuff.. *shrug* :)

Dungeon Master is *classic* but you'll need to wait 2mins to get into the game the first time..

Bubble Bobble (the ST version) is one of the best ports of it ever

Xenon 2: Megablast *wicked* shooter
Xenon - also good

Theres a billion great ST games :)

jeff
I found it hard to read the menues, but I didn´t fiddle around with gamma.

Last edited by a moderator:
vector starwars and Empire strikes back: grandaddy and grandmammy to the starfox genre.. oh the mammaries..

Dragons Lair 3: hehe not as much fun to play as to watch... changing all 6 disks is a bit of a pain

Shadow of the Beast 1 and 2: classics... platforming weirdness yes!

Deathbringer: Nice grafix with a kinda scrolling shadow of the beast landscape

Virus: woah all these 3d atari st games! hover in a free roaming environment trashing the landscape..

Robocop 3: another 3d game that incorperates driving and combat with a 3d engine? st was ahead of its time!

3d construction set: Um can u say realtime 3d level construction complete with polygon scaling and animation? woah

these are but a few .... many more st gems wait to be cracked open again...

All BitMap Brothers gems.

Gods and Magic Pockets are a handheld dream and work great on CastAway/GP.

Trivia: There both apparently getting GBA ports (along with The Chaos Engine) in the near future.

Don't forget Drakkhen by Infogrames. Realtime RPG where you run around on a huge island, mixture between smooth flowing vector graphics and bitmap :)

Wasn't "Out Of This World" released for Atari ST? I seem to remember playing that on my ST years ago - that was a great game.

In addition to many of the others already mentioned (particularly Dungeon Master) I always liked Barbarian by Psygnosis a lot.

And I remember playing Breach for hours...

HZ :ph34r:

Gah! How many cloned topics will there be? :blink: Games are a personal preference, if you want to find a good game (one you like) then go find one.

Back