Best Divx/xvid Conversion Software?

Niku

Still Fresh
I need to convert a few movie files so that the sound and video are compatible with the gp2x, they are in a bunch of different formats but are mostly divx but with an incompatible audio encoding.

So what software does everybody suggest is the best to use and also what do you all consider to be the "best" video and audio compression for use on the gp2x?

Best video codec: XVID
Best audio codec: OGG
Best container: OGM (rename it to AVI)

There have been a few guides posted on the boards... many swear by PocketDivX (I gather it's simple to use)

I prefer GordianKnot myself. You can find all you need to know about video conversion at Doom9

to make the most compatible format, I would stick with mp3 for audio and not make an ogm, or matroska file. a simple xvid video with constant-bitrate mp3 will be most compatible with widest variety of players.

For simplicity's sake I would use the pocketdivxencoder to convert for gp2x. (you can choose to encode audio/video/both/neither)

I have found a good balance of compatability and ease of use.

1. Install AutoGK
2. Install DivX coded
3. Install DVDFab Decrypter
4. Extract DVD files with DVDFab
5. Open IFO fle with AutoGK
6. Specify "Output File"
7. Predefined size = 1/2 CD
8. Advanced Settings1: Fixed Width = 320
9. Advanced Settings2: Codec = DivX
10. Advanced Settings3: VBR, MP3 = 128
11. Add Job
12. Start
13. Relax

doc5avage posted on Sep 25 2006 at 02:53 PM said:

1. Install AutoGK
2. Install DivX coded
6. Specify "Output File"
11. Add Job
12. Start
13. Relax

I would recommend more using Xvid instead of Divx. Also, I would leave the MP3 settings in "auto". AutoGK usually chooses the best quality possible!

I like AutoGK too

Last edited by a moderator:
VirtualDub mod is the best program if you like to control everything. You will be able to have the best compression/quality relation too, but you have to know a lot about codecs to achieve this. It´s not particularly fast either.

suppafly posted on Sep 26 2006 at 08:02 AM said:
doc5avage posted on Sep 25 2006 at 02:53 PM said:

1. Install AutoGK
2. Install DivX coded
6. Specify "Output File"
11. Add Job
12. Start
13. Relax

I would recommend more using Xvid instead of Divx. Also, I would leave the MP3 settings in "auto". AutoGK usually chooses the best quality possible!

I like AutoGK too

Actually supafly, strangley I have found on my system that using xvid produces a video that plays slightly choppy on my gp2x. Maybe its an older xvid version??

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2c worth would have to be Virtualdub, for simplicity and quality. You can use it straight away without too much farting about, and as you improve and find your 'decoding feet', you can mess about with the settings and tweak it to your satisfaction. I would advice downloading a codec pack called 'k-lite' to use with it. I am quite an amatuer myself and find these easy to use together. Install the codecs before you use Virtualdub.

On the compression issue, mp3 and xVid will give a good mix of quality and file size.
Good Luck.

also try 'Total Video Converter' is very easy to use and will convert almost any type of video file (including vlf files from youtube) to any file type you want including xvid.

yeah I use PocketDivx with

Video Setting 12
Audio 44100 64Kbps Stero

And choose the PPC PDA for the res same as GP2X. Only thing Ive noticed is that the Audio sounds kind of meh through the speakers but ok on Headphones. I converted 24 30 Minuted shows and it came out to 1.4GB.

The video is fine though sometimes if there is alot of movement you might get a little pixelation. Other then that though its fine.

Actually supafly, strangley I have found on my system that using xvid produces a video that plays slightly choppy on my gp2x. Maybe its an older xvid version

I have to admit that I too have had more problems with xvid on my gp2x and other non-pc players (two divx-capable dvd players) than divx. I understand the desire to use to use "open" software like xvid and ogg, but divx 5.21 & constant-bit-rate mp3 are more reliably compatible in non-pc devices (in my experience).

Also, I find that videos encoded at 400kbps are perfectly ok on the gp2x, since the screen's so small, so if you only want it for the gp2x you can save lots of space by setting compression thusly.

Cheers-mike

I'm gonna use pocketdivx but wanted to get everyones opinion on what the best settings, screen resolution, etc.. are when your gonna watch video with the gp2x and the tv-out?

Also can you combine video files in pocketdivx (for example I wanna convert a copy of black hawk down that I currently have in two (large) .avi files) into a single file?

Back