Best jacket (duffle or trench) for carrying technology gadgets

giddion

Still Fresh
Off topic somewhat, but with all of the tech tools we are integrating into our lives and the legacy tools we also require, an appropreiatly pocketed jacket is required.

What suggestions do people have and where to buy it?

Please note that my jacket preferences are;
Cost <$200 USD
Wool/cashmere or Cotton (predominatly), just about any natural fibre.
A hood is desirable.

I have seen some kickstarter projects and also some other tech jacket for ladies which was well pocketed.

Anyway, what suggestions do people have?

My winter coat is a short trench coat basically. The it has enough pockets for my 3DS, my Pandora and a 5000mAh battery without distorting too much.

It's all cotton, but has polyester/nylon sleeve linings apparently. Washes as cotton I've found, anyway. No hood, because that'd look weird on a trench coat, so I have to carry a brolly if it's inclement.

In this current northern hemisphere season, I just carry a shoulder bag which carries all I need.

My winter coat is a short trench coat basically. The it has enough pockets for my 3DS, my Pandora and a 5000mAh battery without distorting too much.

It's all cotton, but has polyester/nylon sleeve linings apparently. Washes as cotton I've found, anyway. No hood, because that'd look weird on a trench coat, so I have to carry a brolly if it's inclement.

In this current northern hemisphere season, I just carry a shoulder bag which carries all I need.

What brand/model is that jacket?

I was already rolling my eyes thinking 'damn those spammers' when I read the title... but it's an actual post!

Here goes: I have a "the northface" Jacket to fullfill my needs for weatherproof city wear. I don't cram my electronics into that, as I find it hinders my movement a lot. When I need to catch a train urgently or run to a bus stop, I can't stand all the heavy stuff dangling around on my body. Not a fan of wool/cotton jackets, I like it functional and waterproof. Also, good luck getting a cashmere coat for under 200$... in Europe at least, men's jackets/coats made from cashmere start at like 300€ (~335$)

Since I wear jeans most of the time, I am not able to carry a lot in the pockets either, besides wallet, keys and phone. So in the seldom cases where I don't have my backpack with me, I carry my pandora in a little man-purse (https://www.jdsports.co.uk/product/black-nike-core-small-items-bag-ii/018376/), which I got at a sporting goods store on sale for like 8€. It fits in there very well, even with protective case. I can then wear the bag and even have my headphones plugged in no problem, the whole setup fits over or under a coat in harsh weather. Also there is room left to pack a huge external battery or a book instead.

Personally I carry my electronics in ordinary "polar-type" jacket in one of pockets. The most important thing is to make sure that these pockets are soft inside. I remember having a 200LX and digital camera with no problems.
Bu I also have a Samsung 2370 (this ca. 2cm-thick cell phone) in my pocket, this is probably not normal in age of small smartphones. About Pyra I think about something like this bag on belt used by many net techs to carry tools.

Highlander-Macleod-trench-coat-1.png

BDDefinition-highlander-2-1080.jpg

Ok.. Not really...

Soviet overcoat. Can fit three DMG gameboys in the pockets and a bottle of vodka...I mean a openpandora in the inner pocket.

Granted for most of you in Europe this may get some odd looks. Here in the states I get compliments on it, and military people going.

"Wish we had those coats..." especially from naval officers.

Also it can serve as a blanket if you get sleepy or you can just tunk in your head if the conversation gets boring like a turtle!

pilotjacket.jpg
I swear by these pilot jackets. It fits a Pandora while still being open.. can you see it in the picture? (if you push it a little, it even can click shut). This allows me to keep it open and away from the purple tint of death.

Scottevest sells some jackets, I don't know of anything else that compares to them for this purpose. However, one needs to have a good memory or good system to remember which pockets things are in. I personally have the Q.U.E.S.T. vest, and I find it to be quite functional. I have on multiple occasions had difficulty remembering which of the 42 pockets something was in.

Off topic somewhat, but with all of the tech tools we are integrating into our lives and the legacy tools we also require, an appropreiatly pocketed jacket is required.

What suggestions do people have and where to buy it?

In Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Max produces quite an impressive array of hardware from inside his coat when he first enters Bartertown. Maybe you need a garment like that.

Concealed carry jackets will often have voluminous interior pockets. Also known as 'shoot me first' jackets as they fairly easily identify their owner with overstated tough guy branding. But - for this purpose, they would provide adequate storage and protection. Just don't reach for your Pyra too fast in less urban areas of the US.

I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets, more than most people I know, and because of this over the years I've gravitated towards cargo pants. Every single pair of bottoms I own are cargo pants. No shorts, no jeans, nothing but cargo pants. In the winter I just throw a thick heavy hoodie on with my cargo pants and I'm good.

Back