Best Mega Drive / Genesis games

Asiyura

I just bought a Mega Drive / Genesis (my first Sega Console, I was a Nintendo boy back in the 80's
tongue.gif
) so I would like to know which games are the best on this platform.

That way I'll know the name of the gems that I'll have to find on flea market and auction websites.
wink.gif

Should this be treated the same as the other recommendations threads? :) If so, here's my contribution (pasted from an old Mega Drive recommendations thread on the other forum);

High Seas Havoc - Platformer - A very challenging platform game by Data East, with great art and a wonderful soundtrack. Don't be fooled by its looks - this plays more like a Mega Man game (without the shooting) than anything else. (This was released in Japan as "Captain Lang", and in PAL regions as "Capt'n Havoc". Avoid the PAL version, because the publisher, Codemasters, removed the first level of the game for no good reason.)

Sparkster - Rocket Knight Adventures 2 - Platformer - This sequel is not very much like the original game. It puts more focus on the controllability of the rocket-pack than the original game did, which allows much more flexibility in how you play. (There is a related SNES title by the same name, but without the "Rocket Knight Adventures 2" subtitle - however, they are both completely different games.)

Comix Zone was really imaginative. You basically fight your way through the panels of a comic book.

Mutant League Hockey

Definately one of my favorite Hockey Games, and Genesis games.

Fight, plan strategies, crash the goalie and win by forfit if you can wipe out enough players on the opposing team.

Just like real hockey used to be before Montreal had to go and show how Finess worked better. Spoil Sports.

Whats not to like?

mutant.jpg

Ahhh the Megadrive. I remember getting my JAP import machine from a place called "Adams world" back in 89. What a hip school kid I was!

I suggest that the very game I got back then is still the most playable version ever:

The mighty "Ghouls n Ghosts"

Best gameplay of all of them. The visuals are not arcade perfect, (You need the X68000 for that)but its a superb conversion, that makes it more "A home game" rather than 10p eater.

Worth a try!

While not necessarily a Genesis fanboy. It was the only 16 bit console I owned. I borrowed a friends SNES to play Final Fantasy. But! There were some terrific titles for the Genesis that just don't have counterparts on other systems (that I'm aware of). Personal favorites are marked with a *. I'll leave out any arcade remakes, or games that you will find on other systems (except Dragon's Fury, I think the Genesis version is better).

Platformers:

All the Sonic the Hedgehog games are of course very good.

* Blaster Master 2 - If you played the first one on the NES it's more of the same, but bigger, better, bad-ass-ier, and with a really good soundtrack. I highly recommend it.

Dark Castle - Not really a platformer, but it's one of the hardest puzzle platformer games I have ever played. It's only 4 or 5 rooms, but it's the most dastardly 4 or 5 rooms you're likely to ever face... thanks to the sluggish controls. :p

* Gunstar Heroes - quite possibly one of the very best platform shooters ever made! Extra good fun when played with a friend.

Quack Shot: Starring Donald Duck - Yep it's a quirky little platformer, and I like it (So does Evil Dragon). It's short, it's fun. and it's addictive.

Ranger X - Similar to Turrican and Arrow Flash - the thing here is you kind of have to control yourself and a motorcycle thing at the same time. It's different, and hard to get the hang of, but once you do ... oh buddy... it's fun.

Revenge of Shinobi - It's a Sega Classic for a reason. Sure the controls are a bit cumbersome, but it's stunning and gorgeous and very satisfying to beat.

World of Illusion: Starring Micky Mouse and Donald Duck - The graphics are stunning, the music is timeless, and the gameplay is almost flawless. It's fun and not too hard. Playing two player is fun as well.

RPGs:

Beyond Oasis is a very good Action RPG similar to The Secret of Mana. I don't remember finding it very challenging, but it was pretty fun.

Shining in the Darkness - A first person rougelike set in the Shining Force universe. It's a very long game, a bit dull in parts, but still a good addition to any collection. Save states are a must though.

* Shining Force I and II: I love the turn based strategy of these games, and really like the "promotion" system. So many hours... so... many... hours... :)

Beat-em Ups: (Please note I am not a big fan of the genre)

Cyborg Justice - I can already hear the moaning. This game is TERRIBLE! It very well may be. For me it's a guilty pleasure. If you take a little bit of time to learn the game mechanic it's a sinfully gratifying way to dismember everything in your path. Rip off an arm, toss it, pummel into a pile of scrap, kick him when he's down, reassemble him, rip off his torso and devour it's essence. Ahhh... so fun.

Shooters:

* M.U.S.H.A. - This is my absolute Genesis title - It's a vertical shooter whose level of difficulty is damn near perfect, Challenging, but not too much so. The music is phenomenal (if you like metal/hard rock) and the game play is smooth and deadly.

Arrow Flash - Is a unique and challenging shooter, but you can change forms to assist in navigating the terrain. I don't think I ever actually beat it, but I stands out because of it's interesting mechanic.

Target Earth - A tough, in your face, side-scrolling shooter. It's hard to describe exactly since you spend so much time walking on the ground, but there is some zero-g combat in there too. Very hard. There's a cool cheat though, if a friend starts using controller 2, they can take over enemy units and fight along side you.

Whiprush 2097 - It's tough, but not because of the bullets or enemies. It really goes out of it's way to smash your into things. I thought it was a refreshing change of pace for a shooter. Oh, and it looks nice too.

Racing:

* Road Rash I, II, and III - I love these games. Simple, aggressive, adrenaline mayhem on crowded roads with crowbars and chains. Elegant. My personal favorite is Road Rash II. My advice is to turn off the music, and blast some metal while playing, it's a much better ride.

Other:

Dragon's Fury - aka Devil's Crush - video pinball with a cool twist, there are bonus pinball mini-games that unlock stuff. My buddy and I played this until our eyes dried in their sockets. Quite fun, if you like pinball.

Dragon's Revenge - sequel to Dragon's Fury. Not as good IMO, but still worth a play if you like pinball.

* Starflight - If someone held a gun to my head, and told me to choose which game to never play again, this or M.U.S.H.A. I'd tell them to just shoot me. Starflight is a fantastic space exploration game with a real plot, and a fair amount of depth. So many people give up on this game too quickly. Give it a fair chance, and it very well may become one of your favorites too. I've replayed this game dozens of times.

Edit: World of Illusion is NOT a shooter. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Vectorman, Vectorman 2. Beautifull platformer.

Target Earth. I never got past the first stage. Still a good game though.

Micro Machines Military- It's a blast. Like the title says, it's a blast.

I agree with DrCJBoduma. This racketboy seems to know alot about 8 and 16 bit games and their hidden treasures. Have a looksie.

I already got Sonic 1, Columns, Revenge of Shinobi, Street of Rage, Lion King and Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse ( the version with Donald Duck seems to be a re-release for the Saturn).

M.U.S.H.A. seems to be a big collector, the card cost a lot on eBay.

I found a seller in europe that want 150€ for the US version of the game (japanese ones are cheaper).

The other problem is that my Mega Drive is a PAL version, so if I start buying US or J games, I'll have to find an adapter.

( the version with Donald Duck seems to be a re-release for the Saturn)
Quackshot Starring Donald Duck is a Mega Drive game. What you're seeing there is a twin-pack of Mega Drive titles that were sold as a compilation for the Saturn. :p

The other problem is that my Mega Drive is a PAL version, so if I start buying US or J games, I'll have to find an adapter.
And you'll have to make sure it's one of the ones with the region-switching DIP-switches on the back, too, like the Mega Key. Quite a number of games for the system are region-locked, and the very common pass-through adapters won't work with those titles.

My list would probably contain:

• All the Sonic the hedgehog Games (Sonic 2 in particular)
  • The Golden Axe games (I like 1 the most)
  • Streets of rage
  • Comix Zone
  • Vectorman
  • Ristar
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Shining Force
  • Zero Wing (All your base are belong to us!)
  • Ecco the dolphin (If you like puzzle solving)
  • Warriors of the eternal sun (if you like VERY in-depth, old school RPGs)

It's gotta be:

Singleplayer:

Sonic the Hedgehog (and sequels), for that classic fast-paced Sega platforming action

Vectorman, because it's cooler than Donkey Kong Country

Ecco the Dolphin, because it's like Zelda but with cute, highly skilled animals.

Multiplayer:

Gunstar Heroes, for two player shoot-em-up platforming fun. I like this even better than Metal Slug 3!

Mortal Kombat II, the only Mortal Kombat game you should care about, and one of the most entertaining fighting games ever, to boot

I second this, or, for that matter, any of the review lists on racketboy.

Earthworm Jim was the first game I ever bought full-prized, and never regretted. Well, my parents did, got terribly annoyed by the music :D

Aladdin for MegaDrive was really great, best version if you ask me.

GlobalGladiators was pretty solid.

Pitfall was pretty nice, too.

I also liked Eternal Champions.

Woo! I'm currently re-experiencing a megadrive cart collecting fad. I modded my Pal unit with a 60hz switch, for some reason that also seems to swap its region and allows me to play genesis carts too.

Anyway, I'm currently playing Light Crusader, which is a pretty good isometric action rpg with a fair amount of puzzles. There is a hilarious quirk which means that you can push characters around like they were blocks, I stacked a soldier on top of a princess and stood on the king's head while he spoke to me.

I have Herzog Zwei, Phantasy Star IV, and Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun on the way from ebay, which I haven't played before, and also Shining Force 2 Which I'm really excited about replaying. As has been said, it is one of the finest tactical, turn based rpgs available.

Other recommendations:

Rock N Roll Racing Slightly ropier than the SNES version, but still a great racer.

Gynoug I'll be re-adding this to my collection asap as it's the best shooter I've ever played.

Streets of rage 2 Although streets of rage 3 beats this on collectability and price, this is the finest beat em up on the megadrive.

Sonic 2 Arguably the best sonic game ever, even if you count the modern rubbish ones

Dynamite Headdy This one is also on its way to me from ebay, played the rom but decided not to get into it as I wanted the cart. It's got a great style and humour to it, and it's a solid platformer.

Zombies ate my neighbours Not the greatest game, but it is fun

Chakan This game is HAAAAARD, I never finished it and I probably never will. It has great graphics and I just love the main character.

Castlevania: Bloodlines 2 characters to choose from and your usual castlevania story/setting, this one is a gem.

There are more but my brain isn't working today

@Prometheus: I think what he's referring to is World of Illusion which had mickey and donald in, which I did have on the MD at one point but it was borrowed from a friend in school! I remember it being great.

Mindlord: I bought starflight a while ago with daydreams that it would be like star control 2, but I got a bit put off within the first half hour and I didn't touch it until the other day, where I still couldn't get in to it. On your recommendation I'll try and invest some more time in it.

Mindlord: I bought starflight a while ago with daydreams that it would be like star control 2, but I got a bit put off within the first half hour and I didn't touch it until the other day, where I still couldn't get in to it. On your recommendation I'll try and invest some more time in it.

I admit it's a takes a bit of time to get going in the beginning. I suggest mining the crap out of the rocky and frozen planets in your home solar system to build up your capital and ship. If you can take the grind, try to get a Mineral Scanner II for your Terrain Vehicle as fast as you can. Otherwise try to keep your eyes peeled for rare lifeforms. There's some easy to catch ones out there that are worth more than Endurium.

Back