• Tru64

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Irix

• GS OS

• Total voters

MiniMoose

Personally I use a combination of Mac OSX and Linux to do my GP2X development although there are many developers who use Windows and are kept awake at night wondering if their MingW arm toolchain build will work this time... :p

You know that AtheOS is dead since a long time now? ^^ There is a project based on AtheOS named Syllable, though. (http://www.syllable.org/)

Linux is always the way to go for good code development. No proprietary APIs from Microsoft, and if you never use them, you never GET used to them. And all your applications become VERY easy to port, and anything that can be ported easily is written very well.

Linux is always the way to go for good code development. No proprietary APIs from Microsoft, and if you never use them, you never GET used to them. And all your applications become VERY easy to port, and anything that can be ported easily is written very well.
Aye well said, my sentiments exactly!. 1 more for the penguin. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really like how the Unixes are all separated on this list. They're all very programmer friendly, and that programmer-friendliness in general will make them all good OSes for GP2X development. I honestly don't think you'll see much difference devving for it between Linux or the BSDs in particular.

I don't really like how the Unixes are all separated on this list. They're all very programmer friendly, and that programmer-friendliness in general will make them all good OSes for GP2X development. I honestly don't think you'll see much difference devving for it between Linux or the BSDs in particular.
Agreed. Especially since all the Windows versions were grouped together (even 3.1?). Pretty much all the different Unix-like operating systems are more or less the same... the only real differences are a handful of system calls, some minor filesystem layout differences, and what software is included by default.

I haven't done a lot of programming in Windows, but I would guess that the difference between programming from Win 98 and Win XP is probably more than the difference between Linux and Solaris.

--Zero

Correct. In the case on Unix based OSes, if your libraries have been made for the system, all you really need to do is recompile. Very few exceptions.

Back