Best phone to use with Pandora...

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
When describing my issues with trying to go online with my Pandora, and that I would probably have to buy another USB modem - my mother asked 'Why don't you get a new phone?'

Hmm. Ok... :unsure:

These are my thoughts:

1) Why do I need to buy an expensive smart phone when my Pandora does it all anyway?

2) What I really still need is 3 or 4G connectivity that my Pandora can use.

3) I don't have a small form-factor point and shoot camera (only a big bulky PowerShot that I never use... because it's big and bulky)

4) So my ideal companion would be a good camera phone that I can tether to my Pandora... Ideally using the phone as a web cam for the Pandora as well - Being able to take quality photos (and hopefully decent vids) and then edit them right on my Pandora... why, that would be orgasmic!

I'm not clued up at all regarding phones, cameras or new tech... but I did a search last night and the Nokia N8 showed up as a good camera phone - but it runs Symbian and is rather pricey.

Would it be a good phone for the Pandora? And are there other options out there - hopefully at a far more manageable price?

Last edited by a moderator:
at least go with somethign that's not completely obsolete (or doesn't run symbian), so i'd say the htc wildfire/wildfire s

sure they've got cruddy screen resolutions, but any of the more powerful phones have crap battery life

(i wouldn't recommend an lg, motorolla or samsung phone, sure they're cheap, but that's for a reason, they fall apart quickly)

seeing as how you have trouble with bw on your pc as it is, those 3g 4g cell phones require a data package, which can be quite expensive

Sony Experia is pretty cheap (around 100Eu,-) and has all the features you need ..

at least go with somethign that's not completely obsolete (or doesn't run symbian), so i'd say the htc wildfire/wildfire s

sure they've got cruddy screen resolutions, but any of the more powerful phones have crap battery life

(i wouldn't recommend an lg, motorolla or samsung phone, sure they're cheap, but that's for a reason, they fall apart quickly)

How is the camera? I have an HTC P4350 and the camera is *terrible*...

Also, it says it runs Android 2.1 and I thought only from 2.2 would one be able to successfully teather to your Pandora? Or am I wrong?

seeing as how you have trouble with bw on your pc as it is, those 3g 4g cell phones require a data package, which can be quite expensive

No more expensive than I'm paying right now as that's exactly what I use for my internet - a USB modem, sim card and Data package.

I don't have a phone line here and even if I did - broadband is only available via a cell network.

Also, it says it runs Android 2.1 and I thought only from 2.2 would one be able to successfully teather to your Pandora? Or am I wrong?

as with all, acceptable, but not for a photo nut

got a desire myself, and long since wiped it and threw gingerbread at it, so not sure what those are actually running these days, surprised if it's not froyo, but it's worth checking

if it's not froyo (2.2) then wifi tether isn't possible, usb tether is i think, but that's remembering back a year and a bit to when i got the desire with 2.1

I'dd say any not working phone is perfect with the pandora...

I'm being 100% honest when I say that you cannot go wrong with getting this smart phone (which has already been mentioned, by the way).

SONY, I need a *cheep* phone... and that phone is too similar to the Pandora anyway - I would rather have a dedicated camera phone.

The HTC Wildfire is looking the most promising so far regarding price and features.

I don't mind usb tethering if it's confirmed it *will* work...

Kinda busy today, but I want to check out some more reviews of that phone to see just how 'acceptable' the camera is. I once had a Sony Ericsson with 2MP camera that I was very happy with at the time...

Last edited by a moderator:
The HTC Wildfire is looking the most promising so far regarding price and features.

I don't mind usb tethering if it's confirmed it *will* work...

its not the best by far, but is certainly cheap try and find somewhere that has one in store and test it, they cant exactly say no as theyll do anything to hook you into a 48 year contract :)

its not the best by far, but is certainly cheap try and find somewhere that has one in store and test it, they cant exactly say no as theyll do anything to hook you into a 48 year contract :)

Except that I'll be getting it without a contract - I'm pay-as-you-go and intend to stay that way after the financial disaster of going on contract before...

Except that I'll be getting it without a contract - I'm pay-as-you-go and intend to stay that way after the financial disaster of going on contract before...

oh yeas of course, but it's good to test, and then you can just order one off ebay instead, the s variant isn't much more expensive, and is a dinky little gem of a phone (shrunk desire really), colleague recently got one off ebay for under £100 (unlocked, sim free etc)

you'd also have to live with htc sense, but this is android, everything can be customised and removed if you don't want it

Did ED not do a video per day feature on this with a sony experia x1 heres the link:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TwxROhIV6-4?feature=oembed

that's windows mobile, not android :p

though i wouldn't completely discount winmo, if you've been under a rock sitting in a mental homes garden for the last 5 years :)

Best Android phone Vs price is the orange San Francisco. There's a dedicated site for rooting, and flashing 2.2 ( also gets rid of that orange branded rubbish) . £99.

Sent from my Amiga 500 using the cli.

i'll be impressed if that is running anything newer than android 1.6
Runs 2.1/2.2/Buggy version of 2.3

Best Android phone Vs price is the orange San Francisco. There's a dedicated site for rooting, and flashing 2.2 ( also gets rid of that orange branded rubbish) . £99.

Sent from my Amiga 500 using the cli.
Love that phone - used to have one.

The San Francisco is a fantastic price! And I would go for it without hesitation if it had a better camera.

The Wildfire has an ... ok ... camera. I feel very :mellow: about it.

Are there no alternatives? I don't really care about Android (or any other OS) as long as it tethers successfully with my Pandora and has a respectable camera. I'm not a photo nut, but would like it to be perfectly adequate - I.e. I wouldn't miss having a stand-alone digital camera. I would like white balance and exposure to not be an issue - and preferably *not* have the colors washed out.

Back