Bittorrent Speed

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
I've started using bittorrent quite regularly as it seems a lot more reliable, but the speed is always crap. I can reach 90kbs when downloading normal stuff from the net, but on bittorrent i download at like 4k and upload at like 15k all the time.

Any way to get the best speed? And the thing I'm downloading is one of the most popular ones on there too :blink:.

Although it defeats the system and i'm a lousy cheat for doing so, there's a way to cheat the system using the Shad0w's experimental client, though I wouldn't recommend it as it may get your IP banned through lack of sharing (Though it hasn't happened to me yet.)

For some reason it will uncap your download speed if you set your downloads port range to a single, mapped port on your machine, and set your settings to 'Dialup/ISDN' with maximum upload speed at 3kb/sec. It'll cap your upload and your download should skyrocket.

The only other advice I can give is just to leave it. As you connect to more and more peers it'll go up in speed. I usually don't get 50kb/sec until i've connected to about 30 min peers.

I was getting 625 KB/s today (steady) on bittorrent (man that was nice), I usually get about 350 to 400 KB/s

You have to pay attention to the seeders and leachers numbers for the torrent. If there isnt enough seeders to leachers you probably wont get any decent speed. Most peoples upload speed is very low, so you need a lot of people to have the parts you need if you want to get a decent speed. I never download from torrents without atleast 60+ people with it. (alteast 20 of those being seeders)

And bittorrent is usually always slow for the first 5+ minutes, its still trying to connect to many of the other clients, so you wont get a decent speed until you are connected to more clients, so give it 5 minutes and you will see your speed go up dramatically (assuming you have a good torrent with decent seeders)

I left it on overnight and the most I've seen it at is 7k :angry:. Thanks for the seeder tip tho, I'll be sure to check that before I download next time. I always end up uploading whatever I'm downloading like 3 times over by the time my downloads finished <_<.

If you're uploading at 15k all the time then you've probably hit your upload rate limit. This will slow all downloads (not just bittorrent). Set max_upload_rate to a few k less than 15 and your download speeds should increase.

you can also try : AZUREUS
it is working great....Im DL'ing at about 20K and Ul'ing at about 12K so it is OK
Dont forget to let the torrent open after it ends till you have the UL/DL ratio = 1

see you :lol:

i started using it and the most ive seen my d/l is around 35 kb/s, but my upload is always either higher or the same as my d/l, just leave it on for as much as you can.

I take it you've opened the relevant ports on your router/firewall? (6881-6889 I think). Also if you have xp's built in firewall enabled it will probably block all ports automatically - disable it and use a decent firewall

woogal posted on May 22 2004 at 10:07 AM said:
If you're uploading at 15k all the time then you've probably hit your upload rate limit. This will slow all downloads (not just bittorrent). Set max_upload_rate to a few k less than 15 and your download speeds should increase.
How do I do that? Sorry I've browsed all the bittorrent folder and can't fnd anything. Is it something in the registry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dozer posted on May 22 2004 at 12:04 PM said:
How do I do that? Sorry I've browsed all the bittorrent folder and can't fnd anything. Is it something in the registry?
I've no idea on windows. I use linux, and it's just an option you pass on the command line. I've heard that there are several different clients for windows, so maybe you would be able to find the setting in another client.

Screw Azureus or Shadow's (kind of), get ABC. I have to meter my uploading speed because of other things I run that require the bandwidth. And I still reach speeds up to 100k, depending on seeders. Maybe it would be better if I wasn't metering the upload, but I really can't get around that.

woogal posted on May 22 2004 at 01:06 PM said:
Dozer posted on May 22 2004 at 12:04 PM said:
I've no idea on windows. I use linux, and it's just an option you pass on the command line. I've heard that there are several different clients for windows, so maybe you would be able to find the setting in another client.
Yeah I tried bittornado i think its called. But it never picked up downloads again after i restarted so i switched to the regular bittorrent again. and thanks thebluenewt and NssOne, Ill look into those B).

Back