Blank.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

abigsmurf

ok I've had a particulary nasty adware infection which no scanner would pick up and had extremely crafty ways of regenerating itself (basically no matter what mode you ran in, it regenerated as soon as explorer.exe was accessed). I've managed to remove all the harmfull aspects of it but unfortunately the I couldn't delete a couple of the .exe from the spyware as it caused bluescreens (there's a system .dll file that needs it somewhere that I can't trace) so I replaced them with blank files.

Trouble is, this causes loads of "bad command or file" windows to pop up for split seconds which is annoying as hell.

Re-installing windows didn't fix it so I'm wondering if anyone would be able to supply or point me in the direction of a .exe file that is properly compiled but does absolutely nothing but close itself and remains completely invisible (no windows opened etc.) to replace these files?

hmm still opens a command window but it lasts much shorter than a bad command one. Thanks

Your troubles with Windows are hilarious.

You can't just re-install Windows, you have to format the disk first. And stop getting viruses; it's your own fault.

iignotus posted on Oct 19 2005 at 05:21 PM said:

You can't just re-install Windows, you have to format the disk first. And stop getting viruses; it's your own fault.

Not entirely true. If the tossers that wrote the viruses didn't write them he wouldn't get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
BaDToaD posted on Oct 19 2005 at 01:22 PM said:
iignotus posted on Oct 19 2005 at 05:21 PM said:

Not entirely true. If the tossers that wrote the viruses didn't write them he wouldn't get them.
If you don't wear a condom when you're having sex, whose fault is it when you get VD? The disease's, or yours?

abigsmurf posted on Oct 19 2005 at 12:11 PM said:
ok I've had a particulary nasty adware infection which no scanner would pick up and had extremely crafty ways of regenerating itself (basically no matter what mode you ran in, it regenerated as soon as explorer.exe was accessed). I've managed to remove all the harmfull aspects of it but unfortunately the I couldn't delete a couple of the .exe from the spyware as it caused bluescreens (there's a system .dll file that needs it somewhere that I can't trace) so I replaced them with blank files.

Trouble is, this causes loads of "bad command or file" windows to pop up for split seconds which is annoying as hell.

Re-installing windows didn't fix it so I'm wondering if anyone would be able to supply or point me in the direction of a .exe file that is properly compiled but does absolutely nothing but close itself and remains completely invisible (no windows opened etc.) to replace these files?
Is it Nail.exe and DrPmon.dll that you are having problems with?

Empyre posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:44 PM said:
Is it Nail.exe and DrPmon.dll that you are having problems with?

Nah the files in question are in program files\msnktime and are randomly named. From what I can tell there was only one other case of this particular infection on the net but it seemingly stored it in a different way every install.

I only managed to find out how it was regenerating by using a registry monitor and looking at the entries I know it created.

iignotus posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:41 PM said:
If you don't wear a condom when you're having sex, whose fault is it when you get VD? The disease's, or yours?
STDs are naturally occuring (unless you have extreme views about AIDS, if so please stay out of this) whereas some bottle-glassed spot-picking fatpackers wrote the slimy code defilers that unprotected Windows machines pick up in under 20 minutes. Just a single one of these bastardised mischief-makers can quite easily paralyse your entire system faster than a baseball bat to the kneecaps, overriding 'system-critical libraries', urinating over Windows profiles, and making the PC harder to start than a Vauxhall Corsa.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 19 2005 at 10:00 PM said:
dude, format windows.

delete EVERYTHING, and make a new partition

meh I don't want to have to format windows every 6months because of spyware can't be removed. Especially when you get infected due to vunerabilities.

As far as I can tell whats left of the adware infection isn't doing anything except trying to run those .exe

c0ncept posted on Oct 19 2005 at 06:11 PM said:
iignotus posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:53 PM said:
PinkSpider posted on Oct 19 2005 at 01:46 PM said:
The person you got VD off.
It's your fault for screwing them in the first place.

YES. LETS NEVER EVER HAVE SEX EVER AGAIN.
How drastic. I didn't know every person in the world had some kind of VD... I guess just the ones you hang around with.

abigsmurf posted on Oct 19 2005 at 06:05 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 19 2005 at 10:00 PM said:
dude, format windows.

delete EVERYTHING, and make a new partition

meh I don't want to have to format windows every 6months because of spyware can't be removed. Especially when you get infected due to vunerabilities.

As far as I can tell whats left of the adware infection isn't doing anything except trying to run those .exe
STOP GETTING SPYWARE. IT REALLY IS YOUR FAULT. ONLY IDIOTS HAVE TO FORMAT THEIR COMPUTERS EVERY SIX MONTHS.

Use a firewall, some antivirus, and something like ad-aware. It's just common sense, I can't believe there's even a debate about it. My Windows machine, in its 5 years of existance, on the internet, has only had 2 viruses, and they were both due to a user error. Don't even attempt to use that tired excuse that "Ohhh no, it's going to happen anyways" because it won't if you learn how to use a computer. Windows is insecure -- so MAKE it secure.

It's so damned simple.

iignotus posted on Oct 19 2005 at 11:26 PM said:
STOP GETTING SPYWARE. IT REALLY IS YOUR FAULT. ONLY IDIOTS HAVE TO FORMAT THEIR COMPUTERS EVERY SIX MONTHS.

Use a firewall, some antivirus, and something like ad-aware. It's just common sense, I can't believe there's even a debate about it. My Windows machine, in its 5 years of existance, on the internet, has only had 2 viruses, and they were both due to a user error. Don't even attempt to use that tired excuse that "Ohhh no, it's going to happen anyways" because it won't if you learn how to use a computer. Windows is insecure -- so MAKE it secure.

It's so damned simple.

This is a family PC, I can't implement ultra strict firewall rules otherwise I end up with my family coming to me asking why they can't use their program and it doesn't matter if you've got adaware or not. You can have microsoft anti-spyware, spybot and Adaware running and adware still installs itself and gets past them.

Heck you can get infected before you've finished downloading updates minutes after a fresh install.

You may be one of the people who disables activex, java etc. and have firewall settings that tightly control the settings of every program and needs lots of tinkering but thats not an option for this PC.

abigsmurf posted on Oct 19 2005 at 06:51 PM said:
iignotus posted on Oct 19 2005 at 11:26 PM said:

It's so damned simple.

This is a family PC, I can't implement ultra strict firewall rules otherwise I end up with my family coming to me asking why they can't use their program and it doesn't matter if you've got adaware or not. You can have microsoft anti-spyware, spybot and Adaware running and adware still installs itself and gets past them.

Heck you can get infected before you've finished downloading updates minutes after a fresh install.

You may be one of the people who disables activex, java etc. and have firewall settings that tightly control the settings of every program and needs lots of tinkering but thats not an option for this PC.
Who says you have to have "ultra-strict firewall rules"? Just do like every other netizen with a good fw setup and only block the ports that you don't use/no one should use under normal circumstances anyway: ftp, ssh, netbios, etc. If you learn how to use a firewall, it won't be restrictive at all, but it will be incredibly useful. :rolleyes:

Why would you have Microsoft anti-spyware? Get a good product; same goes with your anti-virus. And if you use these programs correctly, things won't get by unless you do something incredibly stupid (and even then, any good program will recover from it).

About the "getting infected before installing protection" comment, have you ever heard of burning a CD or putting files on a USB drive so that you can install them without a connection to the internet? Once again, common sense.

Everyone should disable activeX, since there is *no reason* to need that technology in the first place. Anything that can be done with activeX can be done elsewhere, usually still within the browser, without the ridiculous security holes. And why would I want to disable Java? :unsure: unless you mean JavaScript, which doesn't usually need to be disabled except for the annoying stuff.

Safety is an option for your computer. A 'family computer' is just an excuse for laziness since you can put the blame on someone else if your system comes crashing down. If you would just read up and learn how to protect your own investment, then you won't have all these hassles. You obviously have severe problems with the insecurity of your computer if you need to re-install that often (which doesn't matter since you don't do it correctly anyways), so fix it.

And why are you using Internet Explorer anyways? It's just another reason for some of your security problems.

daclassicgamingmaster:

You're an idiot who can't read.

There is no spyware program that will stop or detect every infection. This particular infection hasn't been picked up by 10 scanners inc HijackThis. I had only been able to even detect where it was located with lots of log trawling and going through the registry.

Oh if you've only been using a single adware removal program for your scanning I'd bet you've all sorts of interesting entries in your hijack this log...

iignotus : Java, especially the crap windows edition is full of holes that are slow to get patched up and has the fun ability of downloading stuff that takes advantage of exploits through the allowed IE and Java ports.

About the "getting infected before installing protection" comment, have you ever heard of burning a CD or putting files on a USB drive so that you can install them without a connection to the internet? Once again, common sense.

Would be fine were it not for the fact MS now require you be connected to the internet to validate your version of windows when patching...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back