Blasphemy! New Favourite Handheld = Psp?

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
With all this new stuff coming out for the PSP, I'm finding I'm hardly touching my other handhelds at all.
Custom firmware 3.03 is just so good; homebrew and latest games without the need for anything else!
I even bought Gradius and Midway Arcade on the PSP recently, as they were dirt cheap, but found that they work better from ISOs anyway. Seems quicker to load and battery doesn't take a beating.
The CPS1/2 and Neo Geo emulators and also so good and of course, the PSX emulator rocks as well.

Anyone else feels the same way? Is this just temporary? Will the GP2X make a big comeback?

Well, the thing is, what you like so much about the new custom firmware is what the GP2X does out of the box...

Secondly, none of that solves the PSP's control problems, which are still worse than the GP2X's (admittedly flawed) stick.

PS1 emulation is a draw to many people, but not myself. When you really look at it, native PSP games are so similar and actually quite a lot better for the most part (aside from a handful of true classics and several RPGS).

Neo Geo is still better on GP2X, and the signs are that CPS2 will be just as good. We already have a fullspeed CPS2 emu (on a test build, no less), it just lacks sound, but I'm confident it will be complete soon. Almost everything else remains better on GP2X.

So, frankly, no. I haven't felt the urge to even pick up a PSP with all this recent buzz. You guys have fun though. The GP2X will be here for you and even better when the buzz dies down :)

I've actually been eyeing (sp?) a DS for sometime now, even with all this PSX emulator news on the PSP, I'm still not completely sold.

If things go right on Ebay tonight I might just be a future DS owner.

Either way GP2X is my fav. out of the three.

I hardly touch my GP2x anymore, except to have a quick go on something while the PSP is recharging.

DAX has just released another update tonight.. I don't think Sony has a chance against this guy.

EDIT: Had to comment about this:

Neo Geo is still better on GP2X, and the signs are that CPS2 will be just as good. We already have a fullspeed CPS2 emu (on a test build, no less), it just lacks sound, but I'm confident it will be complete soon. Almost everything else remains better on GP2X.
Neo Geo used to be better on the GP2x.. ever since NJ released the last few versions of his emulators the PSP has taken over. I would love to see CPS2 get as good as the PSP version, I think it's great right now but I'm not sure how it will hold up once QSound is implemented. GBA emulation is also way superior on PSP at the moment, but I'm sure zodttd will sort that out eventually. The only other console emulators I've tried on PSP are Megadrive and SNES. After a bit of tinkering I got better performance on the PSP SNES emu than the GP2x one. I'm undecided as far as Megadrive, not played it enough. One thing I will say though, the GP2x MAME version is WAY better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't the Wii your last week's love slaanesh? I may pick up a PSP depending on how well Sony emulates the PS1 on it but not if I have to buy a PS3 to download them. RIP OFF!

Well, the thing is, what you like so much about the new custom firmware is what the GP2X does out of the box...

Secondly, none of that solves the PSP's control problems, which are still worse than the GP2X's (admittedly flawed) stick.

PS1 emulation is a draw to many people, but not myself. When you really look at it, native PSP games are so similar and actually quite a lot better for the most part (aside from a handful of true classics and several RPGS).

So, frankly, no. I haven't felt the urge to even pick up a PSP with all this recent buzz. You guys have fun though. The GP2X will be here for you and even better when the buzz dies down :)
The psp control scheme is a million times better than the 2x's shit joystick. And that's just the plain truth. I love my 2x, and I love my psp. Both are excellent :)

The psp control scheme is a million times better than the 2x's shit joystick. And that's just the plain truth.

Strongly disagree. The analogue nub is a pain to use, and the D-pad is just disastrous (try doing diagonals on that!). The shoulder buttons are also terrible.

The PSP is relatively nice overall, I just don't like using it. Personal opinion. The DS, however, is a superb machine.

DAX has just released another update tonight.. I don't think Sony has a chance against this guy.

Sony would hire a hitman so fast if they could...

I just wouldn't want to support Sony. I've heard too many bad things about them as a company. LCD ghosting doesn't sound great, and I'm not interested in the parent company fighting me every step of the way towards consumer control of a device.

Openness was always a major appeal of the GP2X.

For comercial Game, I like my DS, but my '2x stay in my heart for MSlug and other cool emulated games :D

paxl

I just wouldn't want to support Sony. I've heard too many bad things about them as a company. LCD ghosting doesn't sound great, and I'm not interested in the parent company fighting me every step of the way towards consumer control of a device.

Openness was always a major appeal of the GP2X.

If you buy a used PSP and use the PSX emulator instead of buying them off Sony(buying PSX games), you'd actually be screwing Sony over.

I bought a gp2x because DS emulation could only get so good and I didn't want to deal with all the firmware hacks during the 2006 summer when you had to run GTA or some TIFF buffer overflow just to launch into your emulators.

If that's taken care of and the emulators catch up or surpass, i'd rather use a handheld that i know I can buy another used one from some place down the street if the psp broke.

how well do the other emulators run?

I just like the PSX emulator, which, indeed, is a glorious thing. :) Other than that, the d-pad (and analog..) sucks bad, there aren't really any interesting commercial games, and all my other emulator needs are satisfied with my GP2X (plus the GP2X screen is more retro-friendly and simply a better screen all together :)).

My opinion has improved of the PSP with the new firmware, but not THAT much..

Sony should release a stripped-down non-widescreen PSP which just played compressed PS1 games (sold online for $5 or so) and cost a lot less. Perhaps with a 12gb microdrive inside. Kind've the idea behind the XGP-Kids.

i have to say i've not given much of a shit about PSP until i head about the excellent (?) ps1 emu. I've never had that system to begin with (ps1) and would love to see all the weird japanese shooters (zanac, etc) that never came out in the states - that would be reason enough for me to get my hands on one!

i have still not got a 2X or DS, I regularly go back and forth between GBA Micro (seems to be my favorite!) and GP32 FLU (all I play is DrMD and Mame - here's hoping you do more updates, slaneesh!!)

Because everyone has gone tilt on the PSP lately because of the PSX emu I just had to try it as I have an old 1.5 PSP laying around. Yes PSX is good. Not too practical if you want to have more than a few CDs because of the enormous size but still cool. I tried the 16 and 8-bit systems on it too. That is where the wheels fell off for me. The scrolling 2D type games just look awful on that screen, sorry. I tried 1:1, too small. I tried stretched but maintain aspect, way too blurry, it was like i had a bad case of cataracts. Then the screen scrolled and green grass turned brown, starfields dissapeared, and sprites left a nice black inky trail, the ghosting was just really bad. For older systems that screen is truly rubbish. It is a bad fit in almost every way, resolution, aspect, and response time. The d-pad is crap on the PSP too, my thumb hurt trying diagonals after awhile. I guess that is a bit unfair though, my Gp2X has my d-pad mod installed and it runs circles around that poorly designed PSP pad (didn't Sony test that thing? ;) )

Sorry to see you go that way Slaanesh, I guess that means no more updates of MAME for Gp32 or GP2X from you, oh well thanks for the past. I guess in the end mainstream always wins out, that is just the way of the world. Have fun with the PSP, I am not as enamored with it I guess but then again PSX is cool but not my main thing, and the other stuff too blurry and ghosty.

Back