Blog Update (old News To Some)

JerryG20

Just a heads up, there's a new blog update on OpenPandora.org:

The hardware itself is shaping up to be very stable so far. A new board revision is planned for the near future and has a couple bug fixes, numerous clean ups to remove the extra parts I placed for testing, addition of the final wifi module and changes to final connectors and headers (smaller JTAG, different expansion connector, AV connector). Product launch is likely to be delayed for the reason explained below and this gives us even more time to make sure absolutely everything is perfectly functional.

Anyone who has been following the Beagleboard progress will know that the USB phy chip has issues and is likely going to need a new rev in silicon. Any TI customer using the OMAP chip for its built in host capabilities is waiting for a solution because the OMAP uses a non-standard clocking scheme to drive the phy that only one or two companies is trying to support at this time. As usual these parts are covered by NDA for a while so I can't say too much more than is public with the Beagle.

The bad news is more of a delay, the good news is that early adopters (first 3000 and even the next batch of 3000) should feel very confident that their Pandoras work just as well as systems made a year from now since we have more time to test them. Craig has also just pointed out that if it is defective from manufacture, it will be fixed under warranty.

This may be old news to some as this is pretty much the same post made by MWeston a couple days ago, but it IS the first blog posted by somebody other than Craig!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I actually like delays. I have spent my extra income to get a badly needed new monitor, and I didn't want to be one of the last to get one ;)

PoisonedV said:
Alright, I actually like delays. I have spent my extra income to get a badly needed new monitor, and I didn't want to be one of the last to get one ;)
Pretty much the same here, I just got an Xbox 360, so I'm low on cash.
I'd be happy if I could preorder in August.

Cool with the delay here. It's all about getting it right the first time and it would seem Craig and gang are all about that. Not to mention the fact that by the time I can pre-order I will be so so so ready for the Pandy!

Can't wait!

p B)

Damn.

Oh well, I guess it's better to have a device that actually WORKS out of the box. I'd rather not have to dismantle it in the first week to get it working. I guess I'll have to go harass TI now.

Well, it's kinda to be expected. I'm not a fan of delays, but I can't say I'm horribly surprised - fingers crossed the issue gets sorted fairly quickly, though :).

I'm treating it as more preparation time. Prepare my PSX eboots, get wifi happening at home, sock away some accessory cash, learn to code... ok, maybe the first three.

Gruso said:
I'm treating it as more preparation time. Prepare my PSX eboots, get wifi happening at home, sock away some accessory cash, learn to code... ok, maybe the first three.
...buy a huge SDHC card...

How much of a delay I wonder?

Are we still looking at Summer 2008 for release?

Or is it more likely Fall 2008 now?

PoisonedV said:
A week ago, I would've totally disagreed, but after seeing MGS4 and then realizing I had no PS3 to play it on, I may be devoting a chunk of change elsewhere. :p A bit random, but PoisonedV, where does that quote in your sig come from? I KNOW I've heard it somewhere before, in a movie or something; some British dude said it. :lol:

CronoTriggerfan said:
:p A bit random, but PoisonedV, where does that quote in your sig come from? I KNOW I've heard it somewhere before, in a movie or something; some British dude said it. :lol:
Pretty sure it was from The Rocky Horror Picture Show

craigix said:
We don't know how long it will take for it to be sorted out, it might be quite fast.
Is the problem actually holding you back, or is there still a lot of other stuff that needs to be done?

Javacat said:
craigix said:
We don't know how long it will take for it to be sorted out, it might be quite fast.
Is the problem actually holding you back, or is there still a lot of other stuff that needs to be done?

Yes, there is.

PlopperZ said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
:p A bit random, but PoisonedV, where does that quote in your sig come from? I KNOW I've heard it somewhere before, in a movie or something; some British dude said it. :lol:
Pretty sure it was from The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Indeed it is.

The Criminologist, played by Charles Grey - hence the avatar.
Do I win a prize?

Much better to talk about trivia than think of Pandora being delayed - actually I don't care if it is if it means the bugs are squished. You guys do what you gotta do...

Back