Blueray Possibly To Bring Down Sony?

itsme

The more I think about it, I think BlueRay could bring down Sony all together especially if it ruins their PlayStation 3 plan. The thing is that Sony must be thinking BlueRay will take over DVD, but from the history, it looks closer to be SuperAudioCD than CD that took over tapes and vinyl records. The upgrade is rather incremental, and existing format is too cheap to replaced. Consider this: there were a half dozen proposed replacements for floppy disks, and thumb drive was the one with 1000times the space. CDs are finally being replaced, not by DVD-audio or SACD, but by iPod with 40 times the space with 300 CDs.

I have heard that people are putting their names down for Blue Ray Writers already, when they get released they are going to be mega expensive.

I think Blue Ray will really take off and I take my hat off to Sony for yet again sticking their neck out to bring us new technology.

It's too soon. I don't think people want to move away from DVDs yet.

WarmFluffyUK posted on May 26 2006 at 06:29 AM said:
I have heard that people are putting their names down for Blue Ray Writers already, when they get released they are going to be mega expensive.

I think Blue Ray will really take off and I take my hat off to Sony for yet again sticking their neck out to bring us new technology.

The thing is, blue ray is going to be out there a lot, mainly because of the PS3. Writers will eventually become popular, especially with those hacker kinds, and with people like me who like large backup media. The technology will catch on. It's a format people love i.e. disc, and it's capacity is bigger than anything else on the market!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mudi posted on May 26 2006 at 02:34 AM said:
It's too soon. I don't think people want to move away from DVDs yet.

I'm perfectly happy with DVD thankyouverymuch.

exactly! I don't wan't a new format; I have been building up a respectable dvd collection, and for what? so I can repurchase the same films for a different format? thanks but nothanks.

Who knows how the blu-ray/ hd-dvd wars will end; its just too early to tell. I do believe, though, that if the ps3 dousn't take off like Sony hopes it will, it will seriously damage their leverage in the maket. Only time will tell

WarmFluffyUK posted on May 26 2006 at 06:29 AM said:

yeah, likely.

Why werent people dying to adopt SACD? Certain geeks were all excited about that too but it never went mainstream.

DVD is good enough for most people. Most people havent even got DVD recorders yet and have spent £100s on a DVD collection. The jump from VHS to DVD was inevitable, this isnt.

Hard Disk and then Flash memory is the future. I would prefer a console that didnt have a DVD at all, and all games were downloaded onto a huge hard drive (or huge flash drive), but thats years off yet.

I cant see BluRay being successful in terms of films. The PS3 may keep the format alive though as the PSP has done with UMD.

Seems pointless to me... the only thing it may be useful for is backing up your computer. Saying that, it seems like it would be too expensive to do so atm. I certainly don't see point in the video aspect... but that could be since HD tv have taken so damn long to get over here. I think that their source video content can only be a certain resolution, so they are only going to resize and tidy up for older video releases, and only the newer films will benefit from the higher capacity/resolution. 3D generated films could be re-renderred I guess... but yeah I'm not really enthraled about the new format.

WarmFluffyUK posted on May 26 2006 at 01:29 AM said:

Thank You! I think we are the only two people on this board who feel this way about the ps3 and blu ray ;)

Like you said, people are already putting money down for a player, so imo this could become quite big. People may even buy a ps3 just for the player (they run even more expensive on their own, correct?).

daclassicgamingmaster posted on May 26 2006 at 05:29 PM said:
Like you said, people are already putting money down for a player, so imo this could become quite big. People may even buy a ps3 just for the player (they run even more expensive on their own, correct?).
But you see, most people don't want to ditch their perfectly good DVD player in favour of a more expensive format, only to have to also buy a new TV to get any benefits at all.

If HD DVD can play DVD
im going for hd dvd
blueray disks will be more expensive hence the name sony

The Spider Mastermind posted on May 26 2006 at 07:20 PM said:
Optical Media has had its day methinks. It's going to things like portable hard disks and SD cards soon. As the prices go down and the size(as in storage)/speed goes up, it's inevitable.

I'd disagree with that until really fast broadband downloads are available. Until then you will need a cheap media to distribute the games/movies etc on.

I'm not convinced that Blueray will win the high density wars despite being the better format on paper. HD DVD is pretty impressive too.

My grandfather put money down on a shiny new Betamax recorder so many years ago. He wanted the better quality option.

On a sidenote, that same recorder lasted until about 8 years ago. He replaced it with the same model i found at a yardsale. He still has a nice betamax collection, consisting mostly of things he taped off the tv.

triksR4rabits posted on May 26 2006 at 01:42 PM said:
exactly! I don't wan't a new format; I have been building up a respectable dvd collection, and for what? so I can repurchase the same films for a different format? thanks but nothanks.

Why would you have to repurchase the same films? Are Sony forcing you to bin your entire DVD collection? Blu-Ray is backwards compatible with DVD, only a manic completist would repurchase films they already own. Blu-Ray isn't a new format, it's just the same but better.

But you see, most people don't want to ditch their perfectly good DVD player in favour of a more expensive format, only to have to also buy a new TV to get any benefits at all.

HDTV's are getting cheaper and cheaper by the month, they're not the luxury item they once were. If you're going to get a new TV, likelyhood is it will be HDTV.

Hmm...a lot of rumours and bullshit flying around high def DVD. Methinks this has something to do with the PS3...

Huxley posted on May 26 2006 at 11:54 PM said:
Why would you have to repurchase the same films? Are Sony forcing you to bin your entire DVD collection? Blu-Ray is backwards compatible with DVD, only a manic completist would repurchase films they already own. Blu-Ray isn't a new format, it's just the same but better.
Of course, after all, DVD is backwards compatible with VHS!

Who posted about shit with the HDDVD? The yalready sell some players and movies!

Back