Bodhi Pandora

elw3

ƐʍlƎ
okey guys, today i am proud to show you my first try of "how to make and distribute something".

get the instructions here: http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/8990-bodhi-pandora/

seeing that i am a staff member this is a 90% official bodhi image that behaves identical to our desktop version (no-one would approve the other 10% as official)

and if you don know what bodhi is:

http://www.bodhilinux.com/

in short this is a debian7 armhf with E17 WM

enjoy

e-51eb4e5c3223f9.53510167.jpg
e-51e346390a4c83.87615598.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, great first post!

in short this is a debian7 armhf with E17 WM
Nice. Is it fully compatible with debian repositories?
Looking forward to find an empty sd-card and give it a try!

It's always nice to have a new distro on pandora.

But sell it to me: what would that distro provide me that SuperZaxxon or SL4P don't have?

Is it small enough to be shoved in internal memory, is it able to run PND softwares, is it fast, is it power efficient, … ?

It's always nice to have a new distro on pandora.

But sell it to me: what would that distro provide me that SuperZaxxon or SL4P don't have?

Is it small enough to be shoved in internal memory, is it able to run PND softwares, is it fast, is it power efficient, … ?
If you click on the link in the first post you have the answers to all your questions.

The link gave me some informations (mainly about how to install it), but it doesn't say anything about PND, it doesn't say anything about power efficiency, …

And I still don't know why I should choose Bodhi over the other options.

So no, the link don't answer all of my questions.

"Same player, shoot again!"

The link gave me some informations (mainly about how to install it), but it doesn't say anything about PND, it doesn't say anything about power efficiency, …

And I still don't know why I should choose Bodhi over the other options.

So no, the link don't answer all of my questions.

"Same player, shoot again!"
DId you ACTUALLY read?

stuff that not work yet:

pandora pnd system

neo driver

gfx driver

dist-upgrade (do not try, it will break E and eats hours of time)

volume control (does someone care?)

On top of that if you check the screenshot you can see the distribution take more than 2 Gigabytes, therefore it answers the other question whether this would fit on the NAND or not.

And by the way if you did read the link, you will see that the author specifically asked for the questions to be posted on HIS thread on that forum, and not here since he does not come on OpenPandora boards often.

READ, seriously.

Okay, I flew over that one those, so that answered one two of my questions. Really sorry about that.
I'm still waiting for the rest : why should I use it?

EDIT: okay, it needs 2Go, but would he be able to squeeze it into 512Mo by removing some non-essentials parts?
I don't want to create yet another account on yet another forum, he prefer we post on the other forum, but I didn't ask him to answer me within 2 seconds… I mean, I had to wait for my pandora for a few years, I can wait his answer for about the same time xD

Why are you so angry at me, I agree I flew over two informations, I'll be more careful next time. That doesn't allow you to talk to me like I'm mentally inapt to process informations.

Why are you so angry at me, I agree I flew over two informations, I'll be more careful next time. That doesn't allow you to talk to me like I'm mentally inapt to process informations.
I'm not angry, i'm merely annoyed because I mentioned that you should read the link and you obviously ignored completely the link after just checking like 2 lines of it. Why would I spend time telling you to check the link if there was no information there? When I give a tip, I expect you to check it before coming back and saying "it's not there!!"

Why should you use it?
They have a whole website for that. Check the first post, again. Should I copy stuff for you ? You don't have time? Here goes.

Bodhi Linux is a Linux Distribution leveraging the fast, customizable, and beautiful Enlightenment Desktop. Enlightenment coupled with a minimal set of utilities such as a browser, text editor, and package management tools form the solid foundation of Bodhi Linux.

Minimalism is one of Bodhi Linux's two core ideals. The combination of Enlightenment and the core utilities included in a default Bodhi Linux install lead to exceptional speed and low system requirements, while providing a beautiful, useable, and customizable desktop experience.

User choice is another important feature embodied in Bodhi Linux. By only including a small set of default utilities, the user is free to make Bodhi Linux their operating system. Users can install applications from our extremely easy to use AppCenter, apt-get, or Synaptic to suit their individual needs. You make the decision!

If you're the kind of person that wants to make your own choices, this might be the distribution for you.
To your other question :

EDIT: okay, it needs 2Go, but would he be able to squeeze it into 512Mo by removing some non-essentials parts?
No. Just like slackware. If you remove the "non-essential parts" it's another distro. Not Bodhi anymore.

I'm not angry, i'm merely annoyed because I mentioned that you should read the link and you obviously ignored completely the link after just checking like 2 lines of it. Why would I spend time telling you to check the link if there was no information there? When I give a tip, I expect you to check it before coming back and saying "it's not there!!"
I've checked the website, I've overlooked 2 informations, I agree that I was at fault there.

I've read the "about Bodhi" part on Bodhi website, I'm still wondering why I should use it. Is it wrong of me to ask the porter to give me more reasons to use it? Why he ported it to pandora? What the benefit he think that pandora will get out of it? That's what I meant by "selling it to me". I'm not asking a 10 pages answer just some elements that will make me understand more about that distro on pandora and what led him to port it.

Those questions are not here to downplay his work, I'm just genuinely wondering. 

You seem to think I'm used to ask pointless questions… I agree it happens, I'm not perfect. But most of the time, I tend to ask questions about things I really care about.

Now, I'll leave this topic, since I seem to only generate frictions.

stuff that not work yet:
pandora pnd system
neo driver 
gfx driver 
dist-upgrade (do not try, it will break E and eats hours of time)
volume control (does someone care?)
So its no better than .next and yes we all care about the volume control...

Now, I'll leave this topic, since I seem to only generate frictions.
I have no problem with people asking questions (you will see I answer a lot of questions from tons of people on these boards), but when the first post already has a number of information, it's better to be choiceful as to what you really need to know.

Anyway, I hope you have some answers to some of your questions at least now, and as for "selling the distro" you could check on google what people say about Bodhi linux, without asking the author directly. I have already seen a number of reviews about it.

Except that that wouldn't tell us anything about things like how well it runs on the pandora, or why it would make a better OS for the pandora than Ångström or Slackware. 

To be honest, ekianjo your attitude in this thread is very off-putting, and doesn't help sell the system in the slightest, which I think is somewhat counterproductive to what the OP was hoping to achieve.

KodeIn expressed an interest, and the best way to keep that interest is to answer his questions in a friendly manner,  not to attack him for asking.

@Elw3 Since we seem to have gotten sidetracked, I'd also like to similarly express my own interest, so please,  sell it to us.  :)

- Neelix

I'm with neelix on this. After going through that wiki, I still don't have the slightest idea of how bodhi is that great that many people are actively making wallpapers and stuffs for it. :huh:

It would be for the best if some experienced bodhi user can wake from their slumbers and give us dirty angstrom peasants enlightenment. (sorry for the bad pun. :p  )

KodeIn expressed an interest, and the best way to keep that interest is to answer his questions in a friendly manner,  not to attack him for asking.
I am not "attacking" anyone in the first place. Did you read the series of answers Neelix?

First I answered as I always do by pointing out Kodeln did not check the links provided in the first post. Then he comes back saying the links dont answer any of his questions, which was obviously not the case as he realized by himself later on. WHat kind of reaction do you expect ?

And for all of the people on these boards uncapable of doing google search instead of posting questions that take actually more time than hitting google, here's a review of Bodhi

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/bodhi-2-2.html

In my opinion this is like someone asking how well Qemu runs on the Pandora and how it compares to DosBox, and telling him to google for it because there are tons reviews by people using Qemu on their Desktop machines ...

Also I am confused now, in the first post it sais it's Debian, and these reviews talk about Ubuntu ...

Back