Breakout box

AquaAnalogue

Recently, with the exciting news of the EXT connectors, I've rekindled my interest in using the Pandora's serial port capabilities (I originally thought of it during my Systems Programming course earlier this year). I know there is an effort to construct custom-made cables, but does anyone find the idea of a breakout box with everything on it appealing? Does anyone know how hard it would be to construct such a peripheral?

Is that like a port replicator that you would use with a laptop? Add extra USB, serial ports and so on?

ask in a couple of weeks, as i've got a bunch of connectors coming, if you want a pre-made one (and it works alright/failry well) it'd be the cost of a few audio/video connectors and a serial->usb adapter (there's 2 uarts, so i'm probably aiming to have one as a usb adapter, other as straight serial lines, maybe with a level changer to rs232

ask in a couple of weeks, as i've got a bunch of connectors coming, if you want a pre-made one (and it works alright/failry well) it'd be the cost of a few audio/video connectors and a serial->usb adapter (there's 2 uarts, so i'm probably aiming to have one as a usb adapter, other as straight serial lines, maybe with a level changer to rs232

I don't know this stuff too well (we only touched very lightly on the hardware side of things), so i'll just tell you what I'm looking for: I want the video output jacks, the audio-in jack, the serial port, and the USB (would it be 2.0?) and I'm pretty sure that's it (unless there is more on the EXT connector).

My main interests are hooking up a terminal, and (you're going to laugh) hooking up a modem and using a combo of the no-dialtone command and Google Voice to dial into whatever BBS's are left. I've got a stripped-down laptop from 1994 doing that job currently, and it'd be nice if the Pandora could take its place. Then instead of being a dumb-terminal for my modem, it could be a dumb-terminal for my Pandora. :D

What I'm looking for here is a neat little black-box to hook up all my peripherals to (TV, USB hub with mouse/keyboard/external HD, modem) and mostly leave it laying there all plugged in, whilst being able to unplug my Pandora entirely and take it with me on demand.

Is any form of charging through the EXT port possible? It would be awesome if I could boil it all down to one connector that I could just plug/unplug with ease.

I would be willing to pay someone (if you're interested, this could be you) to construct this for me. If possible, it'd be great if instructions on how to make another one were included. At some point i'd want to make one to take on my travels with me.

I know there is an effort to construct custom-made cables, but does anyone find the idea of a breakout box with everything on it appealing? Does anyone know how hard it would be to construct such a peripheral?
I made a breakout board that went out with every development kit. The schematics and layout have been freely available for a long time. I think there's even a link to it on the wiki somewhere.

Hmm... I just got an interesting idea...

Would it be possible to use the EXT port to plug in another processor/more RAM? I don't think we have programs built for that sort of thing, but it's a nice idea.

Too slow. Communication is 120Kbps or so. You'd have better luck with a USB addition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back