Bricked Gp2X F100

Monkeymo18

Still Fresh
Please Help Me!

I got a Gp2X f100 on Ebay, and somehow, I bricked it, or it came bricked. It used to work fine when I turned it on, but now it only displays colored lines. The USB cable does not work, and the nearest person I can find to fix it is in Germany. Because I am nowhere near Germany, this is a bit of a problem. Does anyone know of any way that I can either fix the GP2X myself? Also, does anyone know anyone who can help to fix it? If you can find someone, I would really appriciate it.

Monkeymanmo said:
Please Help Me!

I got a Gp2X f100 on Ebay, and somehow, I bricked it, or it came bricked. It used to work fine when I turned it on, but now it only displays colored lines. The USB cable does not work, and the nearest person I can find to fix it is in Germany. Because I am nowhere near Germany, this is a bit of a problem. Does anyone know of any way that I can either fix the GP2X myself? Also, does anyone know anyone who can help to fix it? If you can find someone, I would really appriciate it.

usually you get the colored lines when its underpowered. Make sure your using fully charged batteries or a compatible power adapter.
Just from personal experience my gp2x has become flaky, it last minutes are batteries and ive resorted to only using the dc adapter if i have to test something. Sometimes ive had where i needed to let it sit unpowered before i can power it otherwise it does boot and goes into the colored lines you described.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Monkeymanmo said:
The battery trick did not work... Any other ideas?

Did you mean wall adapter?
By the way what kind of batteries are you using?

I used some AA batteries. Where do you get a wall adapter for it?

(thanks for the fast reply by the way)

Monkeymanmo said:
Pickle said:
Monkeymanmo said:
The battery trick did not work... Any other ideas?

Did you mean wall adapter?
By the way what kind of batteries are you using?

I used some AA batteries. Where do you get a wall adapter for it?

(thanks for the fast reply by the way)

that might be your issue if your using alkaline batteries

Power
The GP2X requires 2 AA-sized batteries if not running from an external power supply. Due to the high current drain, standard alkaline batteries will not function for very long in the GP2X; NiMH or lithium batteries are recommended.

Battery life varies depending on the type of activity being performed and can last anywhere from 10 minutes (using alkaline batteries) to over 6 hours (using high-capacity NiMH batteries). When listening to music, power can be conserved by turning off the backlight and display.

The GP2X has a socket for an external power supply. It must be rated 3.3V DC at 1A with a standard center-grounded (negative center) connector. The power supply should be regulated, as voltage spikes can permanently damage the unit.
snagged from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

THANK YOU!

it worked!
up until this point, i thought that my f-100 was no more than a fancy doorstop. Thank you!

:D

Monkeymanmo said:
THANK YOU!

it worked!
up until this point, i thought that my f-100 was no more than a fancy doorstop. Thank you!

was it the battery type? your using nimh now?

Pickle said:
Monkeymanmo said:
THANK YOU!

it worked!

I am now using Lithium. Thanks for telling me about that!

Monkeymanmo said:
Pickle said:
Monkeymanmo said:
THANK YOU!

it worked!

I am now using Lithium. Thanks for telling me about that!

Before you edited you said it was still stuck? I assume you got it to fully boot with the lithium's?

yeah... i just blew on the contact points and rubbed it with an eraser, and good as new! :)

Pickle said:
Monkeymanmo said:
yeah... i just blew on the contact points and rubbed it with an eraser, and good as new! :)

ah yeah that can be a problem, have fun ;-)

It died again. I turn it on, there are lines on the screen, it flickers, and then goes black. What do you think I should do? :huh:

Monkeymanmo said:
Pickle said:
Monkeymanmo said:

It died again. I turn it on, there are lines on the screen, it flickers, and then goes black. What do you think I should do? :huh:

I am pretty sure that your batteries are crap. Try it with a psu. If your gp2x shows colored lines, flickers and then goes to black it is not getting enough juice, but it is not bricked. Get a psu, some decent 2600mAh rechargebles and a battery charger. Then you will be a happy retro gamer :D

xnopasaranx said:
Monkeymanmo said:
Pickle said:
Monkeymanmo said:

I am pretty sure that your batteries are crap. Try it with a psu. If your gp2x shows colored lines, flickers and then goes to black it is not getting enough juice, but it is not bricked. Get a psu, some decent 2600mAh rechargebles and a battery charger. Then you will be a happy retro gamer :D

Cool!

I will try that.

Back