bricked my pandora

LTStone

Well, while trying to change a nub and replace my keypad something happened to my rebirth pandy and it will no longer power up and no l.e.d. action either. when I insert the battery I can hear a slight sound if I put my ear to the unit.  I'm ordering a new 1gig unit anyway but was wondering what my options are for my current unit. The only thing I can think that I did was maybe lift some of the pcb board(about a mm or less) right at the bottom right solder joint of the left nub.

Check the board for any solderbridges! Did some metal get between keymat and board? Also check the underside if something got stuckthere accidentally. Is the powerswitch inserted correctly? Did the lcdcable become loose? Do the contacts for the battery stick out deep enough?

What happens when you plug the charger in? With and without a battery.

Can you scan the PCB and show some pictures here?

Maybe you lost a component while replacing the PCB.

I'll take the pandy apart later and take some pictures , battery connction is good, lcd cable? would that keep the led's from coming on? charger does nothing as well.

No, without the LCD Cable, the unit would still boot up (LEDs).

If the LEDs won't switch on, something within the power circuit is broken.

ED, do ship to Canada? or is it better for me to wait for link to get his shipment?

My 1ghz Pandora became bricked when I just removed the battery and put it back in. I was having issues with the USB port. Turns out all I needed was a new USB hub. I sent it back to Dragon Box, but have not heard anything yet.  Hope you solve your problem or else get it fixed....

My 1ghz Pandora became bricked when I just removed the battery and put it back in. I was having issues with the USB port. Turns out all I needed was a new USB hub. I sent it back to Dragon Box, but have not heard anything yet.  Hope you solve your problem or else get it fixed....
Yeah , I'm baffled. Now what I might do is make some clips for the battery and take the Pandora apart and try unsoldering the nub and maybe messing around to see if anything happens, Also I will take some pics of the board and upload them here for people to look at and maybe see something I don't.

You can try to power the board with a labpowersupply directly from the big pads on the side. Just to make sure it is not the powercircuit/battery that is failing.

How hot did you solder the new nub? With this multilayer smd boards it is easy to desolder stuff by accident if you heat up pads/traces for too long.

I'm not sure how hot my iron gets, I tried 15A first then used 30A, I could have left the iron on too long when I was trying to desolder the pads.

YES!! I got the Pandora working! Mcobit was right it was a solder bridge on one of the little resistors. I used a flashlight and magnifying glass and just barely notice the top of the resistor was a little shiney. I just took my exato knife and scraped the top and pop off it came. When I clipped the power supply.. on came the screen  :) Wow I was suprised and can't believe the new nub works great as well although I should have clamped it tighter before I soldered it  as it doesn't sit as tight to the case as it should. Still it works! Anyway thanks for all the help and support guys!

If you want to touch up your solderjoints of the nub, apply some solderpaste/flux to the contacts, push it down gently and reheat the pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back