Bricked!

mike3k

Still Fresh
I just bricked my brand new gp2x by installing the 1.0.1 firmware update. When I tried to install it, the 'upgrading firmware' screen appeared for 15 minutes, followed by a blank screen which I left for about 10 minutes before I reset it.

After that, it was totally dead giving only a white screen which slowly fills with colored lines. I don't even get the black logo screen, which means the initial boot image is damaged. The unbricking instructions don't work, since it needs the initial boot image.

How can I get it working again? I'm in the US and I bought it from GP32Z, but they haven't returned my email.

That's odd. I had the screen full of lines deal last night, I just figured it was that the batteries that came with the system were finally dying so I let them rest for a couple of minutes, when I turned it on again it worked fine. I went to turn it on again this morning and I got the lines again but this came after I'd gotten a chance to go and play a game of Space Megaforce on the SNES emulator. I sttill have the 1.0 fw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this probably sounds sarcastic have you tried changing your batteries the coloured lines is what everyone gets when the batteries are low. Try changing them and try the flash again.

I know this probably sounds sarcastic have you tried changing your batteries the coloured lines is what everyone gets when the batteries are low. Try changing them and try the flash again.

I now have an AC Adapter (radio shack part 273-1754 with adapter tip 273-1704). Still dead & it can't be reflashed because the boot loader is damaged.

If it really has got a corrupt boot loader, then it'll be fixable when jtag is working. Although don't ask me when it's going to be working...

If you followed all the instructions correctly though, and the upgrader bricked your unit, then just return it to whoever you bought it from.

If it really has got a corrupt boot loader, then it'll be fixable when jtag is working. Although don't ask me when it's going to be working...

If you followed all the instructions correctly though, and the upgrader bricked your unit, then just return it to whoever you bought it from.

I ordered it from gp32z.com.

What is jtag & how can I find out more about it?

mike3k posted on Dec 1 2005 at 01:52 AM said:

I ordered it from gp32z.com.

What is jtag & how can I find out more about it?

Here (On robs website) is a lot of information about the GP32`s jtag cable and how to unbrick a GP32. I don`t think the information will be of any use to you as the cable, Software and procedure are likely very different for the GP2x.

http://www.cobbleware.com/gp32/gp32jtag.html

Trooper

Indeed for other who may fear they're bricked, I tried my unit again today after work and it's working fine even after seeing the colored lines. I made sure to scratch my contacts to see if their was any actual plastic on them. I also notice my rechargeable batteries do not fit as tightly as the ones that came with the unit so I have a feeling you might need to bend them a bit to make contact in the future.

I just bricked my brand new gp2x by installing the 1.0.1 firmware update. When I tried to install it, the 'upgrading firmware' screen appeared for 15 minutes, followed by a blank screen which I left for about 10 minutes before I reset it.

After that, it was totally dead giving only a white screen which slowly fills with colored lines. I don't even get the black logo screen, which means the initial boot image is damaged. The unbricking instructions don't work, since it needs the initial boot image.

How can I get it working again? I'm in the US and I bought it from GP32Z, but they haven't returned my email.

I have the EXACT same problem as you and ordered from gp32z also, currently I am waiting for a reply from them.

everybody talks about briking their gp2x with updates and i dont know what exactaly what briking it is apart from it bein bad could someone plz explain...

as far as i know bricking a unit is when you basically kill it, making it as useful as a brick

Is there any news on how to revive a bricked GP2X? Mine went stripey on me on Saturday (3rd Dec) after a firmware upgrade. I'm waiting for a response from where I bought it.

I used 64Mb SanDisk Shoot&Store card. Which cards were other people using? If there is a pattern we could stop other people from a similar fate. :(

EDIT: Heres the bastard!
1466.jpg

That's odd. I had the screen full of lines deal last night, I just figured it was that the batteries that came with the system were finally dying so I let them rest for a couple of minutes, when I turned it on again it worked fine. I went to turn it on again this morning and I got the lines again but this came after I'd gotten a chance to go and play a game of Space Megaforce on the SNES emulator. I sttill have the 1.0 fw.

seriously, don't make firmware updates with low batteries! -Or you eventually REALLY BRICK YOUR GP2X! - you where lucky this time I guess.

Hey everyone good news.

Just got an email from GBAX about my bricked gp2x

Hi,

We can repair your GP2X console, we are just waiting for the cable we need to do this, which we should have in the next 1-2 weeks.

The rest of the email was just and address to send it to. What I want to know is :
Will they be selling these cables?
Is it just a serial cable with the proper pin layout?
Would it end up being cheaper to buy the cable then to send it back(the big question)?
What kind of software is required to upload the image?

just the usual good news bad news post :)

You will need a Jtag cable if you've really bricked your GP2X. I think these are pretty expensive, the last time I looked they were about £150 but things change so they may be cheaper now.

Reesy posted on Dec 14 2005 at 04:09 PM said:
You will need a Jtag cable if you've really bricked your GP2X. I think these are pretty expensive, the last time I looked they were about £150 but things change so they may be cheaper now.

I heard they weren't available for the GP2X yet. If I do get one, what software do I need to unbrick it?

Back