Broadband On The Go...

Sounds like a great idea, hopefully someone will be able to get something like that working to make the Pandora perfect :D

yaustar said:
... with one of these: http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_s...band_/index.omp

Any one know of any drivers for Linux? (And more importantly, will it be likely to work with little modification for the P&|A?) :)

Random OT note: I just read an article that Pandora was the codename for a portable Spectrum in the mid-eighties.

These are really useful. I have a HSDPA usb modem I take with me everywhere to use with UMPC (U810)

On the train to work and home again, it just works, even going through tunnels. I could imagine myself using the Pandora as well if someone made a driver for it. It the Maxom version which does not have any linux drivers, but has max support. :D

Does anyone know about any 3G or 3.5G (Or even 2.5G) drivers for USB wireless modems?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking for something like this for myself also. Over here in the US all we have is Verizon BroadBand Acess and its $40 a month for 50mb and $60 for 5gb (yup those are the only two plans, bullshit I know) then when you go over those they start charging you per megabyte >.>

That service rocks comapred to the shit that we've got, if its got linux drivers I would say go for it.

Soulkiller said:
That service rocks comapred to the shit that we've got, if its got linux drivers I would say go for it.
Sprint has an unlimited data plan for $60 a month. I have one of their PC-card modems for my laptop through work, and it's great.

People have had pretty good luck getting these EVDO modems to work under Linux, so it is within the realm of possibility (provided you don't mind a sizable dongle sticking out the back of your palmtop).

In finland you can get unlimited wireless internet acces for under 20€, 1mb speed :D It's usb device but I don't see the drivers coming to pandora :/

The UK has laptop mobile broadband for £15.00 per month - with 2Mb download speeds.

The large text of the adverts all state unlimited (one actually states no additional fees), but when you read the small print they say max 3GB fair-use up/download policy, but don't state fees for going over that limit... Hmmmm. I hate this limited "Unlimited crap" if it's unlimited, it's unlimited. Otherwise just tell me in plain English what the limit is. What's fair-use anyway? Fair to who?

iprice said:
The UK has laptop mobile broadband for £15.00 per month - with 2Mb download speeds.

The large text of the adverts all state unlimited (one actually states no additional fees), but when you read the small print they say max 3GB fair-use up/download policy, but don't state fees for going over that limit... Hmmmm. I hate this limited "Unlimited crap" if it's unlimited, it's unlimited. Otherwise just tell me in plain English what the limit is. What's fair-use anyway? Fair to who?
But our mobile broadbands are truly unlimited, but someone used one in foreign country and the operator tried to get him to pay something like 20 0000€ bill :lol:

Man I am SO jealous. Mobile broadband for 10GBP a month - what, about, $20? As others mentioned it's about $40 per month or more...

iprice said:
What's fair-use anyway? Fair to who?
Fair to everyone else on the network. ;) There's only so much bandwidth to go around on a mobile system. They're basically saying don't download big files or use P2P software. One of our local providers defines fair use as "only using it when you're in front of it". They ask that you don't queue/automate downloads. Fair enough too, that's what home computers (and cheaper plans) are for.

0,24 Euro isn't really cheap but I think I would keep my prepaid card if I had a modem like this one. A cell phone as an umts gateway has the advantage of an extra lithium battery but I can always buy some spare batteries for the pandora. Maybe bluetooth adds some latency, power consumption and connection problems.

David Gutiérrez Palma said:
If you have a Symbian mobile with wifi, you can download a program (called joikuspot) that makes your mobile act as a wireless router. I've tried this with a Nokia E65 and my laptop and I can browse web without any problem. Other protocols are not supported yet.

http://www.joiku.com/?action=products&...;product_id=310

now THATs nice!
this could be the solution for me.

I was lusting after a nokia n800 because of the supersmooth integration of bluetooth phones for internet access on the go. I was a bit sad that the pandora wouldn't offer this.

FYI if you just plug the "3" modem into an AsusEEEPC and run the new network connection wizard it "just works" (actually its a LOT easier than the supplied auto install windows software), so they must have Linux drivers for the Huwei E220, maybe they can be ported from the Asus.

Back