Broken Or Bricked

bigrbuk

Still Fresh
OK, forgive my ignorance and stupidity, but let me begin.

I've had my gp2x (second hand First Edition, Firmware 2) for appox 8 hours. It worked fine for approx 10 minutes before the batteries died (was expecting that anyway).

Went to Maplin and bought a DC adaptor which didnt have polarity changing as an option, VERY STUPIDLY plugged in a turned on anyway - nothing happened.

Since then I've tried the batteries again - white screen, changing to coloured lines.

Returned to maplin, got adaptor with polarity changed but only 3V. Turned on - coloured lines, turned off, turned on again (repeat) eventually gp booted but screen flickered, thought this was due to 3V only?

Returned this adaptor.

Since then, all I have managed to get with battery power is white screen fading to coloured lines.

Have not tried with adaptor since.

I guess the questions are, I have broken my GP2X after a few minutes? Is it bricked? Have I fooked the battery voltage doodah (read that somewhere). Will using wrong polarity give obvious problem (i.e. always cause the same damage)?

Please help, I'm gutted I've ruined it already :(

If you're gonna give me bad news, please click a google ad on my website and help me raise enough cash to buy a new one!

http://www.mensportal.co.uk (motoring ones pay nicely!)

My guess is the voltage doodad. The behavior you describe is unlike any bricking story I encountered when researching my own bricking.

3V is perfectly acceptable. You'll probably find that there is variation around 3V anyway, especially if you have a nonregulated power supply.

I believe squidge tested from ~2V to ~4V and the unit still funtioned. Although, it is preferable to get as close to 3.3V as possible so you don't put undo strain on the internal voltage regulator, which may not be very robust.

UPDATE

Partly charged batteries and numerous turn on/off cycles managed to get me to the loading screen (although the screen did have scan lines). At that point it froze. Not sure what that means exactly?!

Still sounds like a power issue.

Mines totally bricked and i can never get to the loading screen so yours doesnt sound as bad as mine. Mines currently in the emergency ward hoping to be brought back to life !

Sorted. I had blown the voltage doodah - which has kindly been replaced for me. All up and running again now.

Back