Browser baser MMOs that work on the Pandora

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
I've spent several evenings trawling the net for Pandora Friendly Flash based MMORPGs for myself and my Daughter.

Disclaimer: I have only spent a little time on each of these games as I spent far longer searching for working games and rebooting from crashes caused by various games that didn't run ;) All of these games were run at a modest overclock of 720Mhz You'll also need get hold of the flash plugin for Firefox. I'm running both Firefox 3.6 and Firefox Beta 4.0b10

EDIT: I've used gparted to add a 512MB swap partition to one of my cards. I only tend to use it when browsing flash heavy sites (games being a prime example) and I turn it on and off via gparted. It's made a great difference to the stability of firefox when playing these games.

NB: B-ZaR has reminded me that browsers can zoom out allowing games to fit the screen... Doh!

OK, don't get too excited, they are very few and far between but I have found the odd one or two.

First off the bat is Pardus A space MMORPG. I've only played 3/4 of the way through the tutorial but this looks like it could be a fun game. The game's not fast paced, so there doesn't appear to be much slowdown to me. Whether this will change as the nav screen get busier I have no idea. Certainly it's very playable at the moment. The game window is bigger than the Pandora's screen but it's not too much of a hardship to scroll around.

Next up is Shadowtale a slick cartoon fantasy MMORPG. TBH I didn't expect this one to run and it was a nice surprise when it did. Again the screen is bigger than the Pandora's available 800 x 480 but scrolling around is doable and the game is certainly playable, I was able to complete a few quests in the half hour or so I played.

Shadowtale Gameplay Video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qe-jbDN352I?feature=oembed

Lastly there is Adventure Quest Worlds This is the follow up to Adventure Quest and as a result is much prettier and apparently larger than AQ. There is a downside though. Because the game is newer it is also more popular so it sufferers from slowdowns especially when there are a few players grinding the same quests. It is however playable and if you get an area to your self is plenty fast enough if a little sluggish. One thing to note is when you start the game there is the option at the bottom right of the screen to select "Tiny" screen size which is a handy 640 x 480 resolution and therefore looks perfect on the Pandora's screen.

NB: B-ZaR has reminded me that browsers can zoom out allowing games to fit the screen... Doh! Shadowtale is now a delight to play on the Pandora :D

That concludes the small list of playable Browser based MMORPGs I've found so far for the Pandora. I'll update this topic if I find more as I still have several to try.

I want to spend some time actually playing the few that do work before I spend ages testing another batch LOL.

The following is a list of games for you to avoid that are either way too slow (slideshow speeds), unstable, need plugins or clients, or crash the browser or Pandora completely. :D

Forgotten Elements

Critter Forge

Eternum Online

Estiah

City of Eternals

Wizard 101

Pet Pet Park

Moshi Monsters

Heroes of Gaia

Shakes and Fidget

Lands of Hope

Puzzle Pirates

Forsakia

Pet Forest

Pirate Galaxy

Neverland Online

Dragons Call

Sacred Seasons

Sacred Seasons 2

Fragoria (So close :( crashed loading textures) EDIT: Works with SWAP file @ 800MHz but is very slow to load between areas. Looks great though :)

Neosaurs

Dofus

Runescape

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try zooming out with the browser for the games that were too big? Usually works nicely at least on a desktop with modern browsers that can zoom the entire contents.

Hi

Be careful looking for this type of game if your kids are going to play, most are full of horrible kids who

think it is funny to swear and use offensive remarks :(

Did you try zooming out with the browser for the games that were too big? Usually works nicely at least on a desktop with modern browsers that can zoom the entire contents.

There are times when I could kick myself for missing the obvious LOL

Thanks for the reminder B-ZaR. Shadowtale runs a treat zoomed out one point :D

Ahh, too bad about Puzzle Pirates, loved that game when it first came out.

Did you try Dofus? I didn't see it listed. I'd give you the link but for some reason I can't get to the page. Wait, it is just www.dofus.com/

Ahh, too bad about Puzzle Pirates, loved that game when it first came out.

Did you try Dofus? I didn't see it listed. I'd give you the link but for some reason I can't get to the page. Wait, it is just www.dofus.com/

Dofus has client to download iirc. A pity as it is a good little game. Full of idiots when I last played it though.

Probably a bit of a long shot, but what about Realm of the Mad God? The size will probably be an issue.

If you zoom out and turn the flash quality to low it seems to run well enough. I was able to kill the chicken god in the tutorial with almost no slowdown. It got a bit manic outside though and I crashed the browser by tapping too quickly. This is one of those games that will benefit from a mouse.

Time for an update.

Firstly I've used gparted to add a 512MB swap partition to one of my cards. I only tend to use it when browsing flash heavy sites (games being a prime example) and I turn it on and off via gparted. It's made a great difference to the stability of firefox when playing these games.

Right, now down to the games, or should I say game, as I've only really got one to add at the moment but what great game it is.

Fantasy Online This is a cracking little mmorpg with old school 8/16 bit style graphics and plays perfectly on the pandora at 720Mhz and is even playable at 500Mhz (It may play without swap but I haven't tested it)

There is quite a large amount of character customisation available for a sprite :) When you you've got your little guy or gal looking just right, you get to click a button that says something like "Yes that's just like me" to start the game proper.

You start on the coast naked and the first person you meet is a mickey taking fisherman that calls you nudie then sends you off to despatch a few crabs, giving you some old clothes in return. Then it's off to quest.

The quest givers have tiny gold exclamation marks over their heads ala WoW and these change to gold question marks when you can hand in.

The games is full of humour. For example. I've just upgraded my armor to basic armor ,"made of the finest cardboard and duct tape" and am now saving for my first skill, "nerd rage"

The fights are simple affairs with no graphic treats but the game delivers in the fun department big time.

There is an active community and I was asked to party a couple of times in the first half an hour.

This could be the ultimate Pandora MMORPG as as far as I can tell there are no disadvantages to playing on the small screen. You only have to zoom out a little to get it to fit the screen and the text, although tiny, is clear enough. At 720Mhz there is no slowdown compared to the PC browser experience even with lots of stuff on the screen. Maybe we should start a Pandora guild LOL

I haven't been able to find a youtube vid but I urge you to give it a go as it's great fun.

There are some pics on their homepage.

Found a decent fan vid.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZN3XpH1g80Y?feature=oembed

LOL I hope you haven't been addicted since I posted this list. Oh well, it's good that someone is getting some fun out of my few weeks research. Fantasy Online is a great little game isn't it. I haven't played it in months though.

I'm just hoping that Wizardstan can pull off Runescape.

5 or 6 hours? that's not what I'dd call addiction...unlike my nearly 13 years of EQ... doh...

Cheers toad.

I'd be very interested in trying something like Runescape if it was playable on the Pandora. I tend to shy away from playing games that keep me sat in front of a computer for too long but portable versions of these games would be useful to pick up and play when I'm waiting for the bus etc. (tethering Pandora via mobile phone of course).

Back