Build engine launcher

Sugar_Kane

Could crush a grape
I was just browsing around reminding myself of games that I'd like to play again on my pandora, and I've recently been playing Strife through the excellent Pickle launcher, which got me thinking about all of the games that were built on the Duke Nukem 3D build engine.

I realise that not all of the build games are open source themselves, but would it be possible to run their 'wad' files via a build launcher similar to the PL, or does one already exist?

I think buildenginegames are a little more complicatesd, cause not every buildenginegame will run on the same compile of the engine.

For example: Shadowwarrior won't run on eduke32, because it has some special modifications and needs its own engine.

Please correct me, if I am wrong ;)

I was just browsing around reminding myself of games that I'd like to play again on my pandora, and I've recently been playing Strife through the excellent Pickle launcher, which got me thinking about all of the games that were built on the Duke Nukem 3D build engine.

I realise that not all of the build games are open source themselves, but would it be possible to run their 'wad' files via a build launcher similar to the PL, or does one already exist?

Duke3D and Shadow Warrior have been the only games as far as I know were the source was released.. Shadow Warrior isn't supported with eDuke32.. I know eDuke32 has it's own launcher and has a pull down tab for Custom game.. not sure if that would show any custom maps or mods if they were present in the directory. I made a bit of player maps for Blood.. but never for the original Duke 3D so I don't have any thing to test that with.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it wouldn't just be a case of having a launcher based on the latest version of build, and then being able to launch the game files through that? I thought that would skirt the need for open source if you already owned the original files.

Did most of the games not have a system similar to dooms wad files (I always imagined the doom engine like a console, with the wad files being cartridges... ), or is it a case of needing the source to be able to implement the features?

So it wouldn't just be a case of having a launcher based on the latest version of build, and then being able to launch the game files through that? I thought that would skirt the need for open source if you already owned the original files.

Well Duke3d is the only game eduke32 works with.. Build isn't a single engine that you can swap the game files and play other games, most companies made modifications to the engine when they got rights to use it. If that was the case I'd be happily playing Blood on my Pandora.. Now a mod manager for Duke3d on the other hand could be feasible..

My launcher can support multiple bin's. But one thing i have to think about/remember is how it would work with all the bin's using the same extension.

Might need to add a feature to link bin's to fullname files.

Any progress on this Pickle or have you had other things on your plate ?

Back