Caanoo - A Fail Console?

djelectric

Still Fresh
Ok before sending hate massages i just wonder if enough is done for the GPH caanoo
as a caanoo owner since september im waiting patiantly for perfact emulators and all i got half a year later is a good sega genesis emulator and... thats just it
where is the normal Snes emulator? something?

Now, i wish i knew C#\++ but i dont, from a simple user perspective im deeply disappointed from what i can do with my caanoo ATM.
it looks like GPH dont give a damn about its own console. the caanoo has so much potential to be an awsome gaming console but nothing special is happaning.
im thinking about selling my caanoo and move to a PSP witch is far far supirior in emulator support and games in general.

is there a reason NOT to sell my caanoo? is something special going to happen with the console? new releases of software?
its been almost 2 MONTHS since the release of a software.
if someone from GPH is watching this topic i WOULD LOVE to see your comment on this.

p.s sorry for my bad english im not a native :)

I have had a Caanoo for ages, but haven't turned it on in a while because frankly, compared to the Pandora, it is *SUCH* a nuisance to set up software for the Caanoo .. and the fact that the WLAN stick (official one) that I got with it doesn't work with my network just pisses me off immensely, and I don't want to hack around with this machine so much.

If there is ever a working WLAN connection for the Caanoo, and a real app-store that doesn't require me to boot into Windows to use it, then I'll probably pick it up again, but in the meantime its just collecting dust and I'm seriously considering getting rid of the thing ..

I guess you haven't played gpfce it runs perfect. The new version of pocketsnes that came out last night is pretty nice as well and snes9x4c with overclock is not too shaby either. Not to mention ginge is running TEMPER(TG16/CD) perfectly with tvout. Then you have drsms that was release the other day. It is spot on for SMS and GG games. Rikku's Quake is amazing and works over wifi against pc players! Atari ST and Amiga via ginge also kick ass. Have you tried these yet? I have a PSP as well and the snes emulator on it sucks. There are two different ones and they are both slow with grpahical errors. There are only a few emulators on the psp that are worth anything on the psp and those are on the caanoo as well. In fact some of the emulators on the psp were ported to the caanoo by the original authors and run better. Don't tell me the N64 emulator is awesome on the psp because it isn't. The N64 emulator is cool but slow and glitchy. The one cool thing about the psp is the ps1 emulation via popsloader. The ps1 and VICE emulator are the only reason I am keeping my psp

its been almost 2 MONTHS since the release of a software.
if someone from GPH is watching this topic i WOULD LOVE to see your comment on this.

Sorry but you are really really wrong.
This is the list of the software that was released in the last two months

DrSMS V1 21/02/11
Ura Kaiten Patissier 20/02/11
Ganbare! Natsuki-San! 20/02/11
BennuGD - Mod Chipmunk f... 20/02/11
MAME4ALL 17/02/11
GNU Robbo 0.65-8 16/02/11
GPFCE 4 CAANOO 14/02/11
Ginge 14/02/11
BennuGD Runtime 11/02/11
ONScripter 07/02/11
Caanoo-gpsp 03/02/11
Caanoo-Vectrex 31/01/11
Caanoo-MO5 28/01/11
QT lib & Example (4.7.1) 28/01/11
Caanoo-Int 24/01/11
Caanoo-TI99 23/01/11
Chex Quest-Caanoo 19/01/11
ScummVM 15/01/11
Caanoo-Atari 2600 10/01/11
Quake 1 (upgraded engine... 08/01/11
Deadly Eye 07/01/11
Jump to the Moon 07/01/11
PCSX4ALL (ctrls fixed) 05/01/11
Jump n Blob 05/01/11
LittleGPTraker 05/01/11
Sqrxz 2 05/01/11
Freewifi connection 04/01/11
CloneKeenPlus 04/01/11
The Mana World 03/01/11

torpor said:
I have had a Caanoo for ages, but haven't turned it on in a while because frankly, compared to the Pandora, it is *SUCH* a nuisance to set up software for the Caanoo .. and the fact that the WLAN stick (official one) that I got with it doesn't work with my network just pisses me off immensely, and I don't want to hack around with this machine so much.

If there is ever a working WLAN connection for the Caanoo, and a real app-store that doesn't require me to boot into Windows to use it, then I'll probably pick it up again, but in the meantime its just collecting dust and I'm seriously considering getting rid of the thing ..

Ever since the 1.6 update there have been no issues connecting with approved dongles. I am connected with WPA2 and play quake online daily! I will admit the app store is useless but the CAANOO is about the homebrew not the first party apps!

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:

PM me if you're interested in selling it for a reasonable price :)

You must to know that GPH make the Caanoo an open source console for the users do "all they want" with it. This means that GPH don't made emulators or other sofware, they made hardware. You must to blame the lack of software developers to many other devices like Dingoo, Pandora, iPhone, Android phones, etc. And GPH too because their new system is not compatible with Wiz. But, I think some developers like ZX-81 or Pickle worked very hard to offer emulators for free. You must to thank this. There are many emulators now, and the machine is very young.

I'd be very happy if someone just set up an SD card image with all the good stuff already pre-configured, and if there were some way to auto-update this SD image with updates as they occur. I know its lame of me, but I'm really tired of having to do all the SD card setup stuff by hand/manually, and lately I've become very happy to have the PND scheme around to make it so easy for Pandora.

If the Caanoo ever got auto-software-management *onboard* (not through a Windows-only client) it would make it about 150% more useful for me. As it stands though, its really a bore to try to get it set up. I know, I'm lazy - so if someone out there wants to make a pre-made SD image with good stuff on it for the Caanoo, I can at least help by testing it for you .. ;)

Hardyx said:
You must to know that GPH make the Caanoo an open source console for the users do "all they want" with it. This means that GPH don't made emulators or other sofware, they made hardware. You must to blame the lack of software developers to many other devices like Dingoo, Pandora, iPhone, Android phones, etc. And GPH too because their new system is not compatible with Wiz. But, I think some developers like ZX-81 or Pickle worked very hard to offer emulators for free. You must to thank this. There are many emulators now, and the machine is very young.

Thanks to ginge we now have some wiz games that are compatible but wiz compatibility out of the box would have been cool!

torpor said:
I'd be very happy if someone just set up an SD card image with all the good stuff already pre-configured, and if there were some way to auto-update this SD image with updates as they occur. I know its lame of me, but I'm really tired of having to do all the SD card setup stuff by hand/manually, and lately I've become very happy to have the PND scheme around to make it so easy for Pandora.

If the Caanoo ever got auto-software-management *onboard* (not through a Windows-only client) it would make it about 150% more useful for me. As it stands though, its really a bore to try to get it set up. I know, I'm lazy - so if someone out there wants to make a pre-made SD image with good stuff on it for the Caanoo, I can at least help by testing it for you .. ;)

Lazy people crack me up. Do this for me or I'll say something sucks. If you want to sell your system let me know.

I'm Lazy! I admitted it already! :)

Dunno if I'll sell the system yet, it could be that I get non-Lazy about it in the future, if there is any good releases soon ..

torpor said:
I'm Lazy! I admitted it already! :)

Dunno if I'll sell the system yet, it could be that I get non-Lazy about it in the future, if there is any good releases soon ..
K let me know of you do want to sell it. There are a ton of great releases right now but I don't know what kind of releases you are looking for. Did you play CAVE STORY yet?

torpor said:
Pfftt .. I played Cave Story when it was released on Vinyl .. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The new pocketsnes released last night is pretty good. The porter is working hard on it.

torpor said:
I have had a Caanoo for ages, but haven't turned it on in a while because frankly, compared to the Pandora, it is *SUCH* a nuisance to set up software for the Caanoo ..

Mmmmm, let me see, you mean copying the contents of an zip archive into the GAME folder of your Caanoo is "*SUCH* a nuisance"? I am not sure, how you set up software on a Pandora, I guess it must work with telepathy, cause I can't think of an easier way to set up software.

CKeichel: On the Pandora, I just click on the PND link, and oila! Installed, working software! (Okay, I've set my browser to put PND files in the right place, I admit that..)

On Caanoo .. I have to take the SD card out, find a PC, plug it in, download to the SD card, put it in the right place, put it all back together, and so on .. okay it may be different now, if I can browse with the Caanoo on my home network finally, maybe I can just click and load like on the Pandora. I'll try it out tonight and see if its gotten better. The point is, I'm lazy and I've gotten too used to the way things work on Pandora as a real, easy way to get new software.

I feel that on Caanoo it still is pretty fidgety, and I think that there is *definitely* room for a better interface to the Caanoo software eco-system. I hope that happens. Maybe I'll find some way to overcome my laziness, but for now the software releases haven't really hit me as being worth the effort to do all this SD card administration nonsense ..

Y'know, I was thinking this for a while as well... but let me throw some stuff at you now.

I hadn't played Cave Story yet, I'm doing that now and loving it on a handheld!
I setup GINGE on my console so Cave Story runs like a Caanoo app, I even made my own banner. It was a rewarding experience.
When I'm done with that, I'll play Earthbound for the first time, then Megaman 2, and in between play rounds of Super Puzzle Fighter.
All the while I listen to music on the way to work and watch Madmen on the train.
I gave my Caanoo a kick ass wallpaper that I made, and bought it a perfectly fitting, 3DS pouch.

It has spent more time in my pocket then my DS.

It's true that it looks like GPH made the console, half assed an APP store and then said, "that's it! our work is done!"
But that is the kinda beauty of this console ... its open. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. That of course is not for everyone.
You can't code? That's no problem ... can you art?
You can't art? No problem! Organize something ... drum up more interest in the system.

It's not a perfect system sure ... things CAN be improved on the OS side, a lot...

But I'll end by saying this ... I spent the afternoon testing the 3DS in Akihabara, Tokyo. In terms of just plain hardware and build quality, the Caanoo makes the 3DS look silly.
I have a sexy white Caanoo and when next 3DS, Nintendo's newest looks like babies toy (and it feels like one too).

torpor said:
Pfftt .. I played Cave Story when it was released on Vinyl .. ;)

I had a laugh at this.
Effing indie gamer hipster.

crow_riot said:
PM me if you're interested in selling it for a reasonable price :)

Please! Sell it to him at a reasonable price! Amazingly good things will result, I'm sure of it!

I agree with Torpor on this one. However this just reminds me of a past irc conversations with vimacs where we elaborated the idea of an auto-installer (my preference would have been a apt-based on with additional hooks for post installation). He strongly prefered his idea of pnd-style. While i still somewhat like pnd's i think an automated repository would be the win. I haven't found a partner for this yet and i won't go alone on this road.

You've all convinced me: I'm Lazy. I shouldn't be. I'm going to give my Caanoo another chance. Buy yer own ones, crow_riot! ;)

Back