Calling devices for the Pyra ?

Kev2442

Still French
Hi all,
as you know, the Pyra doesn't exactly have the form-factor of a phone. Yet it has all the hardware requirements to make a good calling device.
That's why I'm asking the following :

Could we make an inventory of most useable devices that would be compatible with it ?

We are surrounded by Bluetooth headsets which look common, but kinda weird. Plus not everybody likes having this on his ear.
The better examples are the Samsung HM5100 and the ASUS PadFone Stylus Headset. Do you know of other non-conventional call receivers that would fit well with the Pyra ? Like mini-phones or stuff ? Just no classical smartwatches or headsets.

It says it's for iPhone, but from what I understand, the Pyra will work with it anyway.
[doublepost=1479239614,1479239508][/doublepost]What the hell? I posted an amazon link and there's just a white, blank space.
[doublepost=1479239666][/doublepost][doublepost=1479239721][/doublepost]
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-3-5mm-Telephone-Handset-iPhone/dp/B00LO3U7N2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1479239451&sr=8-7&keywords=retro+handset

What the hell? I posted an amazon link and there's just a white, blank space.

Amazon.com/.co.uk links get enclosed within Media tags for some reason, as do Reddit and Pastebin links. I run them through a URL shortener and then post the resulting link as a workaround.

Last edited:
What the hell? I posted an amazon link and there's just a white, blank space.
They are being replaced with an Amazon Associates iframe, which gets blocked by Ghostery etc for being advertisement. It does not even contain a link to the actual product, it's really just a generic Amazon ad.

It's easy to fix.
Edit your Post and replace the "AMAZON" tags with "URL" and it's fine.
What, like with the old IP.Board software's wannabe features, where you had to fight them more than they were useful? What you're proposing is not a fix, it's just a dirty workaround, and you're making it look like it's okay the way that it is, which I don't think is the case.

This wouldn't be necessary with XenForo, as far as I can tell: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/disable-media-embedding.77722/page-2#post-1389438

Indeed. I don't think we quite got a consensus over what the settings should be, so nothing happened then. Maybe we can get one now?

I don't need anything embedded myself. Youtube embeddings expose the url, so I can easily work around those, but reddit embeddings (and now amazon ones) appear completely broken to me, since I'm not running javascript here. I don't recall seeing any other embeddings regularly that annoy me.

So for me it's:
youtube -> don't care
reddit -> link
amazon -> link

To respond to the original post, I have a wired headset that I will frequently have attached for music. For home use I will probably go with my word handset, and I have a wireless handset for use when the headset may be impractical or seem unprofessional.

There are a bunch of options, and we have discussed this a few times in the past. It was one of those discussions that led to me picking up the Bluetooth handset.

I have one of these I intend to use with my Pyra. I may even modify it to have it dual use as a Pyra stylus:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Bluetooth-Pocket-Talker-HM5000/dp/B0057WX864

I also have one of these that I use with my Samsung phone & tablet:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Samsung-Bluetooth-Headset-BHM5100KWKG/dp/B009V6B7L0

I'm not buying the Pyra exactly for this reason, I don't want to carry around something extra to be able to pick phone calls.

I'm not buying the Pyra exactly for this reason, I don't want to carry around something extra to be able to pick phone calls.

Unless ED & company have tried it out, nobody has picked up a phone call on a Pyra yet. They simply don't exist yet.

In theory, it should be possible to open a Pyra, hold it to your head and use the speaker/mic to pick up a call. It likely wouldn't be all that comfortable - physically or socially - but it should be possible. Also, the headset jack should work with pretty much any chorded phone headset. So, if you're going to bring a set of headphones with you anyway, you may as well make it the kind with the little mic/controller dongle on them.

All that said, the primary purpose in having a 4G Pyra isn't as a phone - it's more like a connected tablet that happens to be able to make/take calls in a pinch. Since it's also available without the 4G capability for a considerably lower price, you don't have to have those telephony capabilities if you don't like them. Win win.

Now that your reason is invalidated, I guess you'll just have to buy one eh?

I have mentioned this before, you could use a bluetooth dialer: something like this seems to be pretty convenient (never used them) and is also less awkward in social situations.
You still need to carry around an extra device though and you have to activate the bluetooth connection during the period you like to make or receive calls. Also not sure how semi-permanent activation of bluetooth will impact battery life of the Pyra or the dialer.

Back